Kazim-Richards nominated..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheesh, oh for a player of Kazza quality now.

He was a money well earned for us, decent talent, but like the kyles we took the cash for him, no?

I'm fairly sure that when we bought Kazim, len would have dismissed him as a useless no mark from a lower league club, we've never bought anybody worthwhile.

Accordngly, I'm confident that len's point is that we've fallen so far, we'd even welcome rubbish from Brighton like Kazim.

But I could be wrong.

I'm fairly sure that when we bought Kazim, len would have dismissed him as a useless no mark from a lower league club, we've never bought anybody worthwhile.

Accordngly, I'm confident that len's point is that we've fallen so far, we'd even welcome rubbish from Brighton like Kazim.

But I could be wrong.

Agreed!. Best signing we made in the PL season

He was a money well earned for us, decent talent, but like the kyles we took the cash for him, no?

Aye. We've got loads of cash in for transfers, it's wicked innit?
We probably used some of it to pay for a hotel.

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

But I could be wrong.

Funny how people's imaginations work.
I actually said, as with Ward, his was a perfectly sensible, no-lose signing.
Always read what's written, not what your prejudice tells you.

The most arrogant and egotistical player I can remember playing for the club.

It doesn't surprise me his career has faltered.

(Still have him back though)

Aye. We've got loads of cash in for transfers, it's wicked innit?
We probably used some of it to pay for a hotel.

Probably or definitely, quite a big difference to speculate as it is to present something as fact

As usual you like to twist it :)

I suppose we might not have paid our council tax/ PAYE/ Suppliers if we didn't sell him so it was in hindsight a good bit of business to keep us afloat - oh look there I go speculating about stuff I know nothing about :)

Probably or definitely, quite a big difference to speculate as it is to present something as fact

I suppose we might not have paid our council tax/ PAYE/ Suppliers if we didn't sell him so it was in hindsight a good bit of business to keep us afloat - oh look there I go speculating about stuff I know nothing about :)

You make it sound like he has said the earth is definitely flat.

Page 43 of the accounts says that we received a £15.5m loan from Santander. £4m of this went immediately to pay HBOS for part of the hotel mortgage/loan. Once the hotel loan had been reduced by £4m, McCabe bought the hotel Ltd for £1. I was under the impression that the Tevez wedge (now the Santander loan) was to enable us to field a strong side in second tier, to remain competitive, or repay McCabe so that we didn't have to sell players to repay McCabe.

You can put all the smiley face things in the world Swiss and but it is very credible to say that without the hotel, we would have a better playing squad now.

In addition, we still have to find over £5m to remain as a going concern - page 19.

And just remember Swiss - the summer went well.

Page 43 of the accounts says that we received a £15.5m loan from Santander. £4m of this went immediately to pay HBOS for part of the hotel mortgage/loan. Once the hotel loan had been reduced by £4m, McCabe bought the hotel Ltd for £1. I was under the impression that the Tevez wedge (now the Santander loan) was to enable us to field a strong side in second tier, to remain competitive, or repay McCabe so that we didn't have to sell players to repay McCabe.

You can put all the smiley face things in the world Swiss and but it is very credible to say that without the hotel, we would have a better playing squad now.

In addition, we still have to find over £5m to remain as a going concern - page 19.

Why do I make it sound like the earth is flat, I was merely countering Lenners post which was pure speculation.

Why are you quoting this years accounts when Kaz was sold 3 years ago.

The fact is, the summer we sold Kaz and Jags, we also bought BT and Sharp, to name but a few. So like I said, Lenners was purely speculating about where the money came from.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing Mic, but at the time, the world was booming and Sheffield did and still does need more 4* hotels. And given the fact that England & Sheffield was gearing up its bids for the WC in 2018, it wasn't such a ridiculous idea for bringing in cash. But this year, it is a millstone. But the club don't have it anymore, so we don't have to pay for its upkeep.

Would we have a better playing squad? Possibly, but its more likely it will have been a more expensive playing squad, not necessarily better.

This summer did go well, but then again its all relative as to where we are right now

I wouldn't disagree he had an air of arrogance about him but I thought that was one of his strengths and he always worked very hard when he was in the team.

He certainly was a flash so and so but apart from spots of inconsistence did great for us against some great defenders in the PL
Kazim always seemed to have that little 'something else' about him that you got with players like the Kyles/Jags/Beatts

Plus that goal against Bolton.....that was something else:beer:

No twisting. Simply pointing out the fact that we've sold shed loads of players for good money and now have a team of loanees and average joes - and no longer own the hotel which did cost us money.
I'm sure it's not beyond you to grasp that we have massively misspent our income in the last few years to end up where we are now?
A clue is it didn't all go on paying PAYE and suppliers (we don't pay council tax but we will pay business rates).

Slag the lad off for where he is now but Id still rather him in the current Blades line up than Yates or Jamie "Suspended or Injured" Ward.

So, if I read you right, SUFC paid out £4m for something McCabe then decided wasn't worth it so bought it for himself for £1?

So, if I read you right, SUFC paid out £4m for something McCabe then decided wasn't worth it so bought it for himself for £1?

Pretty much yes.

I believe the only way HBOS would allow the hotel debt to be transferred to Scarborough is if it was reduced by £4m no doubt to bring the mortgage in line with current market value.

Did McCabe get this £4m from Valad proceeds or his other businesses? No, he paid it from the Santander loan which is backed by the Tevez wedge.

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Why do I make it sound like the earth is flat, I was merely countering Lenners post which was pure speculation.

Why are you quoting this years accounts when Kaz was sold 3 years ago.

The fact is, the summer we sold Kaz and Jags, we also bought BT and Sharp, to name but a few. So like I said, Lenners was purely speculating about where the money came from.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing Mic, but at the time, the world was booming and Sheffield did and still does need more 4* hotels. And given the fact that England & Sheffield was gearing up its bids for the WC in 2018, it wasn't such a ridiculous idea for bringing in cash. But this year, it is a millstone. But the club don't have it anymore, so we don't have to pay for its upkeep.

Would we have a better playing squad? Possibly, but its more likely it will have been a more expensive playing squad, not necessarily better.

This summer did go well, but then again its all relative as to where we are right now

Thing is Swiss I don't think that the income from Copthorne was ever enough to cover the cost of the interest let alone the capital repayments on the construction costs.

I can find a few examples of McCabe saying property is over-valued in 2006 yet he still went ahead with hotel and realty - as said before, SUFC took the risk, not McCabe.

In what respect did the Summer go well for us? Just about every move the club made has, at the time of writing, proved to be a poor one.

Amazing how every topic on here ends up as a debate about McCabe and the Copthorne.

Not amazing really.

Threads about the team are always likely to boil down to:

New players (and why we can't afford them)
Old players (and why they had to leave)
The team to play the next match (and why there are so many loanees, what great/crap players we have)
The manager/coaching staff
Crowds
Finances

Whatever is happening with United is a result of decisions made in the past. People will always hark back to these whether they were good or bad.

Don't forget those pesky agents!

They are covered off in the "why they had to leave" paragraph in the Owners Big Book Of Excuses.

(paragraph 5, "If questioned at length, don't forget agents can be blamed as everyone hates them anyway. However try not to overuse because not everyone will be taken in by this more than twice.").

Apologies, in my copy of the handbook para 5 is entitled "ITV Digital".

In what respect did the Summer go well for us? Just about every move the club made has, at the time of writing, proved to be a poor one.

I said at the time where I thought we did well. I should apologise for the way this thread has gone, I was partly responsible for turning this around into a McCabe & Copthorne thread, so I'll leave those comments aside for a more appropriate thread.

As for Kaz, the deal for me, at the time was a right one. Kaz was a cracking little player on his day, but I didn't see him as someone consistent enough for the Championship.

Yes he was a talent, but given the choice of Kaz or Halford, I'd take Halford every time.

To go from Brighton to Premier League and then Champions League is some achievement and I can see him back in England soon if things aren't going great in France.

In all honesty I thought Kazim looked a skilled but unfocused player.

I haven't seen a player who made the wrong decision as constantly as he did. Would dribble or shoot when a pass was on, would pass when plenty of space in front, delayed his crossing when it required an early ball etc.
Very frustrating and not at all sorry to see him go.

Steve Kabba?

That's a close one.

I remember Kabbs being more intent on getting his mug in front of the camera when he scored during the triple assault season, than he did celebrating goals with teammates.

But Colin took the cake during Euro 2008 with Turkey when he was so busy watching a replay of himself on the big screen he was unaware of a pass directed to him.

But these are the type of player this squad desperately needs, arrogant or not.

Blistering pace, a genuine threat and the ability to wake the crowd from its current slumber.

Back
Top Bottom