Judas Priest - United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

'Oh When the Blades Go Marching In....' when sung slowly is a great sound.

I believe it should be our anthem but there's always some club or other claiming it.

Just watch on Saturday our opponents making out it's theirs.

Which brings me onto the next suggestion...

Does any body know how to get Chris Basham to rhyme with Leader of the Gang?
No but we can play rhyming word association.
Missed a sitter - Gary Glitter
Geordie maestro- fucking paedo
Solid as a rock - spent time in Bangkok

We just ain’t got the talented singer/songwriters on the Kop anymore.
Much easier adapt a generic “classic”

O’Connell Egan Basham Basham Basham.
Overlapping, overlapping, over lapping down the right, Basham...

Past the left back, past the left back, past the left back he runs does Jack...

Then straight into Oooh Callum/Oli/David Robinson/McBurnie/McGoldrick

I really like the song so much so having first heard it with the documentary. For years I just thought the song was done specially for the documentary - I was 10 at the time! So when I got older I bought the video of the documentary which I've seen about 50 or so times! I made my now wife watch most of it when we were dating! Had she not understood the hero that is Bob Booker I'd have dumped her! ;) Having realised that the song wasn't done specially for us I bought a Judas Priest best of album so I could blast out the song at will and I realised how much I liked Judas Priest - if you've not heard Turbo Lover then you've not lived! Then I went to see Judas Priest live at the Arena, but to my huge disappointment they didn't sing United! They did sing Turbo lover though, which was some consolation - Ha ha!

Anyway sorry for that rather long and pointless post, but I thought I needed to share my love for the song and the United documentary. After all that, I don't think it would make a decent chant but I do still love the song.- as you probably guessed!

Why have we never adopted this and sang it On the stands?

United, United, United we stand,
United we never shall fall.
United, United, United we stand,
United we stand one and all

(Repeat)
Cos I thought we was called Sheffield

• Haha
Reactions: FYT

Great song. Love it in the build up.

And for those saying its got nowt to do with the blades should give the album a listen its all about the British steel and this particular song is about standing united during a strike and was actually released during the massive steel strike of 1980 which saw over 100,000 steelworkers go out on what was the largeta . It was a big deal in these parts. Can't think of a better song than a steel themed song about taking on the tories for Sheffield's Blades...

So it's nothing to do with Sheffield United then is it. You seem to be mixing up our beloved football club with a Union movement that fought against a change that some would argue was needed in certain industries at that time.

Why do we never sing the ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest from the stands?

Well, Kev McCabe and Judas Prince,
They were the best of friends,
So when Kev McCabe needed money one day,
Judas quickly pulled out a roll of tens
And placed them on a footstool
Just above the plotted plain
Sayin', take your pick, Kevvy boy,
My loss will be your gain,

I actually really like it. I associate it with part of the match day experience. It gives me a warm glow before the game and a sense of pride. United we stand.

I wouldn’t have it on a Spotify playlist of my favourite songs but I think it’s important to keep traditions like that going.

I feel the same about ‘if the kids are united we will never be divided’. Makes me proud to support united and makes me wanna sing at the back of the kop.

I’m obviously in the minority though it seems.

Reactions: cc1
So it's nothing to do with Sheffield United then is it. You seem to be mixing up our beloved football club with a Union movement that fought against a change that some would argue was needed in certain industries at that time.
In the industry that built this city, giving it its nickname of steel city not to mention our club name of the Blades.

Who would argue that defunding the steel industry as a prelude to privitisation and the following dismantlement of the industry with the attending economic misery it brought south yorkshire was 'necessary'?

Thats before we get into how many blades worked in the steel industry, were members of that union and even went on strike in 1980.

Brilliant song that belongs in the build up. Doesnt lend itself well to singing a capella though.

I really like the song so much so having first heard it with the documentary. For years I just thought the song was done specially for the documentary - I was 10 at the time! So when I got older I bought the video of the documentary which I've seen about 50 or so times! I made my now wife watch most of it when we were dating! Had she not understood the hero that is Bob Booker I'd have dumped her! ;) Having realised that the song wasn't done specially for us I bought a Judas Priest best of album so I could blast out the song at will and I realised how much I liked Judas Priest - if you've not heard Turbo Lover then you've not lived! Then I went to see Judas Priest live at the Arena, but to my huge disappointment they didn't sing United! They did sing Turbo lover though, which was some consolation - Ha ha!

Anyway sorry for that rather long and pointless post, but I thought I needed to share my love for the song and the United documentary. After all that, I don't think it would make a decent chant but I do still love the song.- as you probably guessed!

You do realise that Rob Halford, KK Downing and Glenn Tipton possibly wrote 'Turbo Lover' from an entirely different perspective as you are possibly imagining?

Face down, screaming into a pillow, whilst being 'Turbo Loved' up the tea-towel holder?

Maybe.

pommpey

You do realise that Rob Halford, KK Downing and Glenn Tipton possibly wrote 'Turbo Lover' from an entirely different perspective as you are possibly imagining?

Face down, screaming into a pillow, whilst being 'Turbo Loved' up the tea-towel holder?

Maybe.

pommpey
...the winner of today’s “Vivid Imagination” post award

...the winner of today’s “Vivid Imagination” post

I did say 'maybe'.

Looking at the lyrics mind, it's likely.

But can you imagine?

"Sing Up Shoreham!"

"Then we race together.
We can ride forever
Wrapped in horsepower, driving into fury
Changing gear I pull you tighter to me
I'm your turbo lover ... "

"Mick ... "

"What?"

"Y'know this is about ... y'know ... erm ... bumming and all that?"

"Eh?"

"Bumming. Mano-e-mano. It's written by Rob Halford. Judas Priest. He's a gay dude."

"Eh?"

"Yeah."

"Oh. FOREVER AND EVER, WE'LL FOLLOW OUR TEAM ... "

pommpey

Having spent many years regretting the demise of Ilka Moor and feeling stupid for not being emotionally attached to many of the modern songs (since the early 1960s), this thread has made me feel less stupid. And I do like the Judas Priest song, which to my mind is a good anthem for the original United, and for a large defiant group of people who are not very good at singing. Which sums up Unitedites pretty well.

Suppose we could stick to :

"oh David McGoldrick"
"oh Callum Robinson"
"oh Oli McBurnie"
"Oh [insert any name]"

Because let's be fair, they're groundbreaking and original as fuck
Oh I've just shat myself.

In the industry that built this city, giving it its nickname of steel city not to mention our club name of the Blades.

Who would argue that defunding the steel industry as a prelude to privitisation and the following dismantlement of the industry with the attending economic misery it brought south yorkshire was 'necessary'?

Thats before we get into how many blades worked in the steel industry, were members of that union and even went on strike in 1980.

Brilliant song that belongs in the build up. Doesnt lend itself well to singing a capella though.

I get why it could be regarded as a brilliant song having learnt from you what it's about, but not for me. It's a derge. No problem agreeing to disagree UTB !

Back
Top Bottom