John Terry linked

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If you were poorly and needed surgery, would you want an experienced surgeon to fettle your bits, or would you want the best surgical nurse to take up the scalpel and have a crack? :)
It's not a perfect analogy as Terry will have had the appropriate training to do the job, he just hasn't had the opportunity. A better analogy would be another doctor doing their first operation. You'd still be nervous about them doing it though!

It's not a perfect analogy as Terry will have had the appropriate training to do the job, he just hasn't had the opportunity. A better analogy would be another doctor doing their first operation. You'd still be nervous about them doing it though!

Maybe true, but equally I wouldn’t say a few coaching badges are analogous to a medical degree in their respective fields!

We love giving a bloke a go as manager simply because he was good at football, so I can see this happening.

I can see the Ched lovers being fans of this possibility 😗😎

I could actually see us ending up with Terry. I'd expect that there's the Jan VanWinckel list which he's been sent away to check on (Jokanovic, Blessin, Brys, Pereira) and the ones that I expect applied (Robinson, Appleton, Terry). And of those I'd expect the board have an interest in Terry as he's a big name and a perceived 'leader of men'.

The board will have a decision to make whether they gamble on a foreign appointment or go with someone that knows the British game (still a gamble of course), and if they pick the latter, I think they'll go with Terry.

I read that Terry lives in Cobham, Surrey and commutes so there's a chance that the England under 23 or Bournemouth jobs might suit. Then again, he might fancy some time away from the wife.

I personally can't stand the bloke, no class, all family fashion shoots in the Maldives. I don't need the United manager or the players for that matter to be all round decent blokes but Terry is one of the few I don't care for at all. I've supported United since the late 70s and seen them all but I'll struggle to get behind this guy.

I just think he could tap into the mentality of the club ,and play the aggressive type of football which suits us. He has more experience as an assistant than some of the other names have as a manager in completely different types of football. He would be my preferred candidate so far.
With a bit of look he could bring in Jody Morris as assistant.

John Terry is the player all fans loved to hate and was massively successful and inspirational on the pitch....a born winner.
So no one can question his mental strength and will to win.

This will be a difficult job because I doubt any manager will be instantly accepted after Wilder.
Terry could start his press conference about how he knows he’ll struggle to be accepted at any club as a manager.
However he can say he has massive mental strength, is very driven and ambitious and hopes that results on the pitch win over the fans.

If he starts well he could perversely galvanise the fans.
There will be a better atmosphere at away matches as opposition make it more hostile towards Terry.
Terry might take it all on the chin and show he’s a leader off the pitch....the same as he showed he was a leader on the pitch.

It’s a big risk....a bit like Neil Warnock managing Sheff Wed....but if he started well then it wouldn’t surprise me if he little by little wins the fans over.
Alternatively it could be a disaster...he’ll be up against it from the beginning...so will be under instant pressure with no honeymoon period.

I personally wouldn't give a shit about his previous - if he transfers his mental strength and winning mentality to the players and results, that'll do for me.

For me, what shouts out loudest from his previous, is the fact he’s not even managed a whelk stall, never mind a football club.

The fact there are serious doubts as to his character are just a second layer of yikes behind the giant flashing red light of his lack of qualification for the job. :)

Never managed a club
History of being untrustworthy
Racism in his past
Full kit wanker
Absolute scum. I’ve heard so many bad things about him, his ego, his gambling problems. As a manager, if he’s even any good (which we have no idea about as he’s never done it) he’ll be like Pardew, starts off well but players soon get tired of him being a prick. As someone else said, apart from dragging someone off the street, it would be difficult to make a worse appointment. Hopefully just paper talk.

Terry was a leader of men on the pitch because he led by example. A brilliant centre half. Quite different to standing in front of players in a dressing room and trying to motivate them.

He’s certainly not top of my wish list.
If we are going to spend a lot of money on paying a British manager, or one with English league experience, then it has to be a proven one.

I'm not going to hold any past disgraces against him because I believe in people having the capacity to make mistakes, be remorseful and grow from them.

So from a suitability for the job standpoint, it's a no from me. As mentioned on another thread in response to yesterdays game, the soul of the club is dead if not on life support. Expecting someone with no previous experience to regroup a broken squad, sell some of the best players, ship out deadwood whilst working to a tight budget AND throwing in the fans expectation of promotion is a bloody hard ask.

It's going to be a tough job for someone with experience. In recent years we've thrown Speed, Weir and (temporarily) Morgs into similar situations and it was unfair. All of these experiments were unsuccessful.

Don't like Terry or Rooney but for what it's worth, I actually think Rooney will slowly turn it round at Derby and make a decent Manager. Villa are a different kettle of fish to last season and surely some of that must be down to Terry's coaching. Wouldn't be worried if he was appointed.

I just think he could tap into the mentality of the club ,and play the aggressive type of football which suits us. He has more experience as an assistant than some of the other names have as a manager in completely different types of football. He would be my preferred candidate so far.
With a bit of look he could bring in Jody Morris as assistant.

Wait what....? Villa are awful unless Grealish plays.

They literally cannot do anything without him even with all the talent they’ve been able to money bags through the door.

Both Smith and Terry are absolutely tactically inept.

John Terry surely has to be the worst we have been linked with so far....

Terry was a leader of men on the pitch because he led by example. A brilliant centre half. Quite different to standing in front of players in a dressing room and trying to motivate them.
Thought he was fairly average mesen. He was very lucky to play alongside the superb Carvalho and behind Makelele for most of his success. Carried.

Look at Villa ,thats not all down to Dean Smith. He has played at the top level ,was a brilliant defender and organiser ,has great contacts in the game ,why not ?
Because he shagged a bird ?
Isn't that we said about Bryan Robson?
(apart from the shagging bit)

Thought he was fairly average mesen. He was very lucky to play alongside the superb Carvalho and behind Makelele for most of his success. Carried.
Erm...respectfully disagree. Dominant in the air, read the game like Tony Adams, not blessed with pace, but a great left foot.

Back
Top Bottom