John Swift

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CW will probably sign Graham Carey for the premiership we will all slate him for being an unknown and Lg1 level then he’ll be our captain in Europe within 3 years.

Our future attacking midfielder is David Brooks not Jon Swift

Very black and white that mate isn't it? How do you or any of us know that?

What I saw of this guy Swift on saturday I think he'd be exactly the kind of midfield player that would benefit our team. I don't see any reason why it would be a choice between him or Brooks. Why do people always have to think in terms of "either/or"? When you are building a squad of players you look to bring in really good players with potential who will benefit the club, surely? You don't know how long one of your existing squad will be around - their head could be turned at any time - so you have to be constantly looking to bring players in who would strengthen the team.

And this guy would definitely do that. I think of all the opposition players I've seen this season, he's been easily the most impressive. Very direct, driving the whole team forward - made a massive difference when he came on.

I'd love someone like Swift to be added to our squad - I hope Brooks is here for the long term too - but there's no guarantees of either.

Very black and white that mate isn't it? How do you or any of us know that?

What I saw of this guy Swift on saturday I think he'd be exactly the kind of midfield player that would benefit our team. I don't see any reason why it would be a choice between him or Brooks. Why do people always have to think in terms of "either/or"? When you are building a squad of players you look to bring in really good players with potential who will benefit the club, surely? You don't know how long one of your existing squad will be around - their head could be turned at any time - so you have to be constantly looking to bring players in who would strengthen the team.

And this guy would definitely do that. I think of all the opposition players I've seen this season, he's been easily the most impressive. Very direct, driving the whole team forward - made a massive difference when he came on.

I'd love someone like Swift to be added to our squad - I hope Brooks is here for the long term too - but there's no guarantees of either.

Seriously.... We get this every time an attacking midfielder turns up and has a good 15 minutes. Last season it was Ricky Holmes.

I've no doubt he's a very talented footballer, but let's face it he looked good when we were getting tired and sitting back.

Is he any better than what we've got though. No I don't think so. In which case why sign someone if he doesn't improve the side, particularly as it's an area we don't look weak in at present

Seriously.... We get this every time an attacking midfielder turns up and has a good 15 minutes. Last season it was Ricky Holmes.

I've no doubt he's a very talented footballer, but let's face it he looked good when we were getting tired and sitting back.

Is he any better than what we've got though. No I don't think so. In which case why sign someone if he doesn't improve the side, particularly as it's an area we don't look weak in at present

He’s still young and can improve further. And is already a good championship player. Surely, our targets should be players that are currently good enough to play in the championship and who might improve beyond that? Also, Duffy won’t be able to keep it up forever. Age is bound to catch up with him eventually and we will need a replacement in the long term. Brooks I hear you say? I’m not sure. I think in our current system he might be better as part of a front 2 than in Duffy’s role. We seemed to lose shape when we swapped Duffy for him Saturday and handed Reading the initiative for a bit. CW quickly realised this and took Billy off for Lundstram pushing Brooks up with Clarke and we had an outlet again.

Brooks may grow into the Duffy role or he may be developed as a forward. At the moment, I think he looks better as a forward. Swift could potentially offer competition to Fleck and Coutts as well as in the Duffy role. He may well be better than Carruthers and/ or Lundstram.

He’s still young and can improve further. And is already a good championship player. Surely, our targets should be players that are currently good enough to play in the championship and who might improve beyond that? Also, Duffy won’t be able to keep it up forever. Age is bound to catch up with him eventually and we will need a replacement in the long term. Brooks I hear you say? I’m not sure. I think in our current system he might be better as part of a front 2 than in Duffy’s role. We seemed to lose shape when we swapped Duffy for him Saturday and handed Reading the initiative for a bit. CW quickly realised this and took Billy off for Lundstram pushing Brooks up with Clarke and we had an outlet again.

Brooks may grow into the Duffy role or he may be developed as a forward. At the moment, I think he looks better as a forward. Swift could potentially offer competition to Fleck and Coutts as well as in the Duffy role. He may well be better than Carruthers and/ or Lundstram.

Agree on Brooks, he’s part of the forward line or a wide player for me. Not a centre mid.

Swift looked top class tbf, a very elegant & effective footballer. Reckon when Reading have got him back reintegrated in the starting eleven, & they've got Kermogant back, they'll look a totally different side to the surprisingly inept one they were made to look like for 70 minutes on Saturday .

You can’t have too many excellent players, can you?

What a welcome difference, though, to not so very long ago when we were struggling to spot a player that we wouldn’t want to replace...

❤️⚔️

You can’t have too many excellent players, can you?

What a welcome difference, though, to not so very long ago when we were struggling to spot a player that we wouldn’t want to replace...

❤️⚔️

It's been one of my constant themes, the overall quality that Wilder/Knill has brought to the club. It's now become an expectation, where quality follows if Wilder shows interest. Of course there will be the odd mishap, but these are few and far between. As things stand, we now have the strongest squad I can recall in the last 3-4 decades. Happy to dispute this with anyone who feels differently, and the one area I think could do with strengthening is our forward line. That's not a dig at our existing players, they manage to offer us a threat going forward, but where we look exceptionally good at the back and in midfield, I'd like to see a little more quality upfront, enabling those around them a chance to be even more expressive when we attack.

Back
Top Bottom