Incoming? Jamie Murphy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I love Jamie Murphy. When he left I was absolutely gutted, in a way that I haven't felt since I was a child when football seemed like life and death. But I really don't see where he fits in this set up that is working so well.

He used to play up front in Scotland before moving to a more wide role and I've no idea where he's played for Brighton (not been in the side much it seems) - at a push, you could probably play him alongside Leon. But I think it's probably fair to say this is absolute, complete and utter, bollocks.

AWUM AWAY AWUM AWAY AWUM AWAY AWUM AWAY On the forum, the mighty forum...........

He would work well as a second striker and would help us close out games. The amount of times he was left as the top man in the last 15 mins of games under Clough was quite substantial. My worry if he started would be that he would pull wide leaving us with just one in the box. A midfielder who gets in the box would be paramount

I really liked Murphy and probably up until this season I would have thought this would be worth a punt. Not so sure now, I reckon he's a bit 'in and out' for Wilder, bit nesh, goes missing etc. He's not really an out and out striker and can't see we need another 'No 10' type player. We've also got Nathan Thomas waiting in the wings for a start.

Very good player, was outstanding in his last full season for us.

Will likely go to Rangers or Celtic I reckon.

I really liked Murphy and probably up until this season I would have thought this would be worth a punt. Not so sure now, I reckon he's a bit 'in and out' for Wilder, bit nesh, goes missing etc. He's not really an out and out striker and can't see we need another 'No 10' type player. We've also got Nathan Thomas waiting in the wings for a start.
That's probably why Thomas can't get a game - if he's waiting in the wings - or even "on the wing".
Still don't know why Chris signed him when he doesn't ever play wingers.
Can Thomas tackle ? Can he be a wingback instead of Bash ? Or is he left-footed ?
Surely he'll go in January ?
If he can't get game at home when both RWBs are out , what's the point of him being in the squad ?

That's probably why Thomas can't get a game - if he's waiting in the wings - or even "on the wing".
Still don't know why Chris signed him when he doesn't ever play wingers.
Can Thomas tackle ? Can he be a wingback instead of Bash ? Or is he left-footed ?
Surely he'll go in January ?
If he can't get game at home when both RWBs are out , what's the point of him being in the squad ?

Left pegger. Hopefully beinng groomed for wing back. I think but not sure he plays there for u23s

In a recent interview he said that he had been played at wing back and was still learning, but happy.

Aiming too low here.

Any signing in January has to be a ready fit for the Premier League.

Murphy does not have enough personal belief to realise his potential.

Then again our manager just might think he can instill that belief.

Why not? We can afford him now.

Aiming too low here.

Why ?? Are we in the PL we need to get there first think you are getting way ahead of yourself
Trust Wilder. I doubt we will be spending £5m on any one single player

Saw a Brighton Blade down Millwall Saturday, and over a pint or two he mentioned that Murphy would take a loan move to the Lane because of his lack of first team football at the minute. I thought he was pulling my leg , but stated it was the truth. Not a Blade that's ITK, just what I was told over a sociable drink

Aiming too low here.

Murphy does not have enough personal belief to realise his potential.

Then again our manager just might think he can instill that belief.

Why not? We can afford him now.

To be fair I don't think most people would have expected Jake Wright to be a ready fit for a first team spot in League 1, let alone the Championship.

Duffy wasn't deemed good enough for the Championship either, at the start of last season.

If he found a place in our system, I think a player like Murphy would turn the 1-1 draw v Birmingham into a win.

To be fair I don't think most people would have expected Jake Wright to be a ready fit for a first team spot in League 1, let alone the Championship.

Duffy wasn't deemed good enough for the Championship either, at the start of last season.

If he found a place in our system, I think a player like Murphy would turn the 1-1 draw v Birmingham into a win.

Agree but Murphy didn't hold down a place in Brighton's promotion winning side and the reason he may be for sale is that they ae in the Premier League now.

Looking at our squad I think we should build for the Premier League right now and not aim too low with players on 3 year contracts who would not hack it in the Prem.

May I be so bold as to ask how you know this?

Watched him enough games to know he is timid when out of form. Great when on form and picking the ball up and running at defenders.

He's done little at the higher level which is where we are now.

If you want to know what I mean, look at Thomas and his character and self belief. He thinks he's Maradona.

Agree but Murphy didn't hold down a place in Brighton's promotion winning side and the reason he may be for sale is that they ae in the Premier League now.

Looking at our squad I think we should build for the Premier League right now and not aim too low with players on 3 year contracts who would not hack it in the Prem.
I think we should PLAN for the PL right now but keep our powder dry until our challenge proves to be long-lasting.
I reckon it's still a bit too soon to become "massive" ;)

but under Wilder and Knill ???

Good point, there lies he dilemma for them.

Risk/reward for a £3m plus player. I'd rather have more self belief for that money out of our budget.

The other issue is where would he play? He will never make a wing back so he'd be vying with Duffy and Brooks for that spot behind the strikers. Otherwise front striker which is too high up the pitch for him IMO.

Good point, there lies he dilemma for them.

Risk/reward for a £3m plus player. I'd rather have more self belief for that money out of our budget.

The other issue is where would he play? He will never make a wing back so he'd be vying with Duffy and Brooks for that spot behind the strikers. Otherwise front striker which is too high up the pitch for him IMO.

Correct mate but I think that (well we all know that) he would work in a 4-4-2 very well. We may need to mix it up a little as teams get accustomed to our famed formation and tactics.
I would only loan until the summer and see where we are at that point as to whether we can sign him on a perm contract or not - that is if he wants to come at all or CW just might not fancy it!

All ifs and buts though :)

UTMB

Looking at our squad I think we should build for the Premier League right now and not aim too low with players

You really do spout some rubbish you sound like a fucking Pig
You are suggesting we adopt the Pig blueprint , thats worked out well
Its got them nowhere and skint with a load of expensive players on big wages that they wont be able to off load

Its got them nowhere and skint with a load of expensive players on big wages that they wont be able to off load

Never said anything about spending big money, just players who are capable of growing with our club over the next couple of years and with the capacity to make the next step up.

So it may be you who actually doesn't quite read things that are written and jumps to imaginary conclusions.

What I did say about Murphy was if we were to spend £3m I'd want more in return. Sound I think. Not a Rhodes, Fletcher, Reach, Hooper even.

Acknowledge please Pedro.

Pedro?

Acknowledge, simply because you were so aggressive.

Value for money is the key, more of the Wilder values, not the 'same old' that other clubs are doing. Not players with it mostly behind them. We've been there and done that. I'd even say Murphy is within that other formula - been higher, done average, coming down, nothing much to prove even to himself.

No, we want players with it all in front of them and a willingness to go the extra mile to get there.

Not the S6 formula, far from it, the Bournemouth formula more like.

If that's "spouting rubbish" OK.

Never said anything about spending big money, just players who are capable of growing with our club over the next couple of years and with the capacity to make the next step up.

So it may be you who actually doesn't quite read things that are written and jumps to imaginary conclusions.

What I did say about Murphy was if we were to spend £3m I'd want more in return. Sound I think. Not a Rhodes, Fletcher, Reach, Hooper even.

Acknowledge please Pedro.

You are saying about spending big money though
If we are going to sign a PL ready player he will cost more than £3m more like £5m plus wages that is big money to us United will simply not spunk that sort of money on one player until we reach the PL
For what its worth I dont think Murphy is worth that kind of money £1m at most

Pedro?

Acknowledge, simply because you were so aggressive.

Value for money is the key, more of the Wilder values, not the 'same old' that other clubs are doing. Not players with it mostly behind them. We've been there and done that. I'd even say Murphy is within that other formula - been higher, done average, coming down, nothing much to prove even to himself.

No, we want players with it all in front of them and a willingness to go the extra mile to get there.

Not the S6 formula, far from it, the Bournemouth formula more like.

If that's "spouting rubbish" OK.

Acknowledge - Ive been out I do have a life outside of this forum

With regard to value I trust Wilder you want a PL ready player as I have said they wont come cheap
If you want players with it all in front of them you are unlikely to get a PL ready player as they will either be already there with wages to match or be with one of the top Championship clubs

You want the Bournemouth formula they are backed by a very wealthy foreign owner and have spent a fortune on their way to the PL I dont know how much off hand but havent there been some rumblings over FFP breaches
United simply dont have that money and I for one dont want them spending £5m on one player, we dont have any stars at this club signing one could upset the balance, spirit and togetherness of the side

You are saying about spending big money though
If we are going to sign a PL ready player he will cost more than £3m more like £5m plus wages that is big money to us United will simply not spunk that sort of money on one player until we reach the PL
For what its worth I dont think Murphy is worth that kind of money £1m at most

Sorry, you are spouting rubbish!

I am saying nothing of the sort about big money signings. Quite the opposite.

What I am saying is that we should be aiming higher than Jamie Murphy and for players who can hack it in the Prem when we get there. You must have noticed Wilder buys proper players for what they are worth and not for daft money. He'll not sign the 28 year old Murphy for £3m, rather a 25 year old Murphy equivalent with potential to grow with the club into the Prem, maybe for £1m, maybe even a bit more. We signed loads of quality for peanuts last season and summer and if we do spend that bit more we can do even better.

If Murphy should be available for £1m then he might be tempted but I doubt it as he looks for character and fighters for the cause.

Back
Top Bottom