Jags at 40

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

True, but since youve brought Jags up I'm still waiting for the apology for the most stupid thing I've ever seen from a united player, and that's a long list! When we saw MGW apologising for missing a penalty v forest recently and that can happen to anyone, it for me puts into perspective the amazing character MGW had for that. Sorry this may offend some but Jags went down in my estimation after the lack of apology because in my view it should have been said to the fans, it may have been said privately I don't know. Maybe not straight after but at some point. Cue let it go video from frozen by someone in response!

True, but since youve brought Jags up I'm still waiting for the apology for the most stupid thing I've ever seen from a united player, and that's a long list! When we saw MGW apologising for missing a penalty v forest recently and that can happen to anyone, it for me puts into perspective the amazing character MGW had for that. Sorry this may offend some but Jags we t down in my estimation after the lack of apology because in my view it should have been said. Maybe not straight after but at some point. Cue let it go video from frozen by someone in response!
He apologised on instagram. A platform that didn’t exist at the time of Jagielka’s handball.

No need to apologise for me. He gave us a lot more over the years.

He apologised on instagram. A platform that didn’t exist at the time of Jagielka’s handball.

No need to apologise for me. He gave us a lot more over the years.
When was that excatly/roughly?

On your last point, he was an excellent player for United, that can't be disputed, I just found that mistake very odd at the time, not saying it was deliberate but very odd and I havent ever noted an apology. If he's said that fair enough and I stand corrected.

Last edited:
When was that excatly/roughly?

On your last point, he was an excellent player for United, that can't be desputed, I just found that mistake very odd at the time, not saying it was deliberate but very odd and I havent ever noted an apology. If he's said that fair enough and I stand corrected.
MGW apologised on Instagram for missing the pen. Facebook/ Instagram etc wasn’t really a thing that footballers used as a platform back when we were relegated under Warnock.

It was a frustrating mistake in a game that ultimately sent us down. But to be fair to the lad he won us a few points that season too.

Going in the sticks vs Arsenal & his screamer vs M’boro are two things that spring to mind.

That's a fair point re Instagram but I'll stick to my original point then! 😉🤣 Don't get me wrong, he comes across as a top bloke, I'm sure I come across as bitter and a bit sad to mention it again! It's not the error so much but I was hoping that at some point he'd come out and say to the fans, sorry, I can't explain why that happened etc. Anyway, it's not the point of the op I appreciate so I'll leave it there.

Aye, I remember when the fucking pitchfork-wielding midwits that comprise the bulk of the support tried to blacken his character as well.

Plus ça change...

Aye, I remember when the fucking pitchfork-wielding midwits that comprise the bulk of the support tried to blacken his character as well.

Plus ça change...
I hope mine didn't come across as that but I think whether people agree or disagree with my point on an apology, when a player puts his hand up and gives a pen away that ends up being the winner and his team gets relegated you're going to get some criticism! I think even Jags would accept that. Of course as often people say back to me, we'd never have been close to staying up without jags which is totally true also, but my point was and still is I think an apology in more recent years saying I'm sorry I did that wouldn't have gone amiss, that's all I'm saying. He has spoken on it when he returned to United.

I hope mine didn't come across as that but I think whether people agree or disagree with my point on an apology, when a player puts his hand up and gives a pen away that ends up being the winner and his team gets relegated you're going to get some criticism! I think even Jags would accept that. Of course as often people say back to me, we'd never have been close to staying up without jags which is totally true also, but my point was and still is I think an apology in more recent years saying I'm sorry I did that wouldn't have gone amiss, that's all I'm saying. He has spoken on it when he returned to United.

No, I don't want you to think that was aimed at you or anybody else who was pissed off about the handball, I was very annoyed at the time too, we all were.

I was referring more to those who were saying at the time, that he did it deliberately in order to "engineer" a transfer to Everton. Which is the dumbest conspiracy theory ever. He didn't need to force anything, the truth is he would've moved on even if we'd stayed up, as his stock was very high back then.

Tomorrow is Phil Jagielka's 40th birthday, amazing that he is still playing Championship level football. One of the best players we have had this century and a model professional .

I worshipped Jags as a young 'un, he was my first successful shout- "he'll play for England one day" - accepted and gobbled up by various Spurs fans after the win in 2006

True, but since youve brought Jags up I'm still waiting for the apology for the most stupid thing I've ever seen from a united player, and that's a long list! When we saw MGW apologising for missing a penalty v forest recently and that can happen to anyone, it for me puts into perspective the amazing character MGW had for that. Sorry this may offend some but Jags went down in my estimation after the lack of apology because in my view it should have been said to the fans, it may have been said privately I don't know. Maybe not straight after but at some point. Cue let it go video from frozen by someone in response!
I still think he was pushed in the back and it should have been a free kick to us - so no need for an apology. But why he had his arm in the air we’ll never know…

I watched him in a friendly this summer for Stoke against my other team Bristol Rovers and wanted to try and get a pick with him after but he was busy. Top player.

Whatever level you've played football at, when you're running towards goal and the ball sits up like that, there's only one thought in your mind. "TWAT IT!!!!"
Great goal.

Thanks for the memories Jags.

Scored an own goal on his 40th birthday, not the best of presents!

MGW apologised on Instagram for missing the pen. Facebook/ Instagram etc wasn’t really a thing that footballers used as a platform back when we were relegated under Warnock.

It was a frustrating mistake in a game that ultimately sent us down. But to be fair to the lad he won us a few points that season too.

Going in the sticks vs Arsenal & his screamer vs M’boro are two things that spring to mind.
And dirty L×××s

A Funny Old Game

@sid_lambert

It’s Phil Jagielka’s birthday today. You remember him. One of the unlikeliest Thunderbastards since records began…

225.3K views
0:36 / 0:38

JagsVliverpool Goal.mov

Back
Top Bottom