issues from Fulham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

wadblade

Reaction score
We were terrible yesterday and I am more depressed than after Newcastle

Points raised in no particular order

1/ Trusty looked OK you have to question why PH would not play him before

2/ the first goal why did we get outnumbered in our own box. Even when we played overlapping CB’s we were never that exposed. I know it was a new cobbled together back 3 but still not good enough

3/ second goal Archer trying to be clever gets caught in possession rather than passing just outside our own box!!! This was immediately after McBurnie was booked for doing the same thing and that nearly led to a goal

4/ Archer not doing it , we may as well play Brewster/ Traore and develop our own players. Seriously if we can get our money back in January we should seriously consider

5/ Mid field not good enough it needs a rethink I would consider moving Hamer or McAtee to behind the striker

6/ McBurnie was he injured because he was a shadow of the play who played v ManC and Everton

7/ best wishes to Bash

8/ The only positive I can take this weekends results leave us no further adrift,

UTB

Main issue for me is that we seem to treat the ball like a hot potato and so reluctant to keep possession. The players are capable of doing so but we look so scared to take it (or so scared of losing it) that's it's hampering everything we do. Until we address this we'll struggle to get control in any game this season.

I left both the West Ham and Fulham games feeling pretty despondent.

This team just doesn't seem to offer anything really. Can't keep the ball and on the odd occasions we do string a few passes together it's slow, side to side, then back to Wes.

We don't defend with any conviction. We hoof it away then we're slow to get out so the opposition is constantly regaining possession and able to run at us.

It's a weird, flat feeling watching this United side that I can't really explain. Even after the equaliser, I just had this sense that it wasn't going to last long so I couldn't get too excited.

I left both the West Ham and Fulham games feeling pretty despondent.

This team just doesn't seem to offer anything really. Can't keep the ball and on the odd occasions we do string a few passes together it's slow, side to side, then back to Wes.

We don't defend with any conviction. We hoof it away then we're slow to get out so the opposition is constantly regaining possession and able to run at us.

It's a weird, flat feeling watching this United side that I can't really explain. Even after the equaliser, I just had this sense that it wasn't going to last long so I couldn't get too excited.
The saddest thing for me yesterday was when we got two throw-ins on the right, and the players eagerly called JLT over because, frankly, it looked like our only attacking hope. There was something pathetic about it. The only other tactic, lumping it to McB and hoping for a lay-off to Archer, failed again and again. This has to be on the manager and coaching team surely? We look completely clueless.

Main issue for me is that we seem to treat the ball like a hot potato and so reluctant to keep possession. The players are capable of doing so but we look so scared to take it (or so scared of losing it) that's it's hampering everything we do. Until we address this we'll struggle to get control in any game this season.

Agree...for me that is football basics.

From day 1 if I was manager I'd be practising keep short passing/ keep possession drills.
Obviously Hecky doesn't mind the players booting it long straight back to the opposition.

When we were defending a lead....we often did the same last season.
Parking the bus having numbers back and booting it anywhere to clear it.
So it shouldn't be a surprise that we lack any composure.
Hecky doesn't think it's important so he doesn't think it's a problem, that's why I question Hecky's competence.

We were terrible yesterday and I am more depressed than after Newcastle

Points raised in no particular order

2/ the first goal why did we get outnumbered in our own box. Even when we played overlapping CB’s we were never that exposed. I know it was a new cobbled together back 3 but still not good enough

3/ second goal Archer trying to be clever gets caught in possession rather than passing just outside our own box!!! This was immediately after McBurnie was booked for doing the same thing and that nearly led to a goal

4/ Archer not doing it , we may as well play Brewster/ Traore and develop our own players. Seriously if we can get our money back in January we should seriously consider

5/ Mid field not good enough it needs a rethink I would consider moving Hamer or McAtee to behind the striker

6/ McBurnie was he injured because he was a shadow of the play who played v ManC and Everton

7/ best wishes to Bash

8/ The only positive I can take this weekends results leave us no further adrift,

UTB

Feels like the players are resigned to relegation and have stopped trying to me

UTB
You actually state a positive in your first point, so that’s two.

Agree with you on the rest.

From day 1 if I was manager I'd be practising keep short passing/ keep possession drills.
Obviously Hecky doesn't mind the players booting it long straight back to the opposition.

Hecky doesn't think it's important so he doesn't think it's a problem, that's why I question Hecky's competence.
I get the sentiment, but no matter how many short passing drills we do in training we won’t pass our way around a decent press with the players we’ve got.

We can’t keep a clean sheet and our joint top scorer is OG. Came away absolutely resigned to the fact we’re just way out of our depth and 12 points is the new target to avoid that record.

We can’t keep a clean sheet and our joint top scorer is OG. Came away absolutely resigned to the fact we’re just way out of our depth and 12 points is the new target to avoid that record.

The midfield (I'll focus primarily on Souza and Norwood) is struggling to keep up with the pace and movement of PL midfielders and the defence becomes too exposed.

1st goal. Fulham plays through our high pressure and plays it up to their striker. As their runners bomb into space our midfielders are not in a position to help out and they certainly can't track them:
1696792410115.png

2nd goal: Archer loses the ball and our midfielders are not in a position to rescue him:

1696792435674.png

3rd goal, Willian picks up Trusty's half clearance. Our midfielders are both on their heels, too far apart and can't stop him running across our box and shooting:
1696792459775.png

Our defenders are not amazing. They need a great deal of help from the players in front of them and at the moment the protection, the shield, is lacking too often.

The midfield (I'll focus primarily on Souza and Norwood) is struggling to keep up with the pace and movement of PL midfielders and the defence becomes too exposed.

1st goal. Fulham plays through our high pressure and plays it up to their striker. As their runners bomb into space our midfielders are not in a position to help out and they certainly can't track them:
View attachment 172713

2nd goal: Archer loses the ball and our midfielders are not in a position to rescue him:

View attachment 172714

3rd goal, Willian picks up Trusty's half clearance. Our midfielders are both on their heels, too far apart and can't stop him running across our box and shooting:
View attachment 172715

Our defenders are not amazing. They need a great deal of help from the players in front of them and at the moment the protection, the shield, is lacking too often.
Always appreciate the analysis. Any suggestions on what we can/should do?

I honestly don't know if Souza fits our midfield, I think we'd be better with
Wes
Baldock-Anel-Trusty-Robbo
Slimani-Norwood-Hamer
Mcatee
Mcburnie-Brewster

And this is the point for me. We can all talk about tactics and formations until we are blue in the face, but it’s a waste of time when previously good players are currently unable to find a colleague with a pass, connect properly with a header, intercept a cross, or move into space to receive the ball. Our confidence is collectively shot through, and all efforts need to be focused in the next fortnight on sorting this out. I don’t know how - get them away for some sort of team bonding break, get in some crates of beer, hire some shrinks, or do whatever it takes, but get them to start believing in themselves and in their teammates. Only then will we start playing to our potential, and get into a position from which we can improve. If we can do that, I think we can be good enough to keep three teams below us - we have some decent players, but are underperforming individually and collectively. And that isn’t the sole fault of the manager.

Anel put some proper crunching challenges in last year to get us going. On the highlights last night he looked weak and like he couldn't be arsed putting a challenge in. Highlights packages of the goals we've conceded this season definitely don't look good for him.

I don’t believe that Hecky is telling them to play like that. I think that the players are bottling on their responsibilities through a complete lack of confidence in themselves and their team mates. Do you seriously think that Hecky and the coaching team would instruct them to boot the ball anywhere?

Always appreciate the analysis. Any suggestions on what we can/should do?
It's difficult. I think our best chance of picking up points is by being strong defensively.

I'd try 5-4-1 with Hamer and Souza in deep midfield. I'd be looking at the squad, including youngsters, for athleticism, competitiveness and mobility, rather than turning to "experience". Given our problems at the back I think it's also worth considering a back four. A few teams are using centre halves at full back, and that's a possibility.

It's difficult. I think our best chance of picking up points is by being strong defensively.

I'd try 5-4-1 with Hamer and Souza in deep midfield. I'd be looking at the squad, including youngsters, for athleticism, competitiveness and mobility, rather than turning to "experience". Given our problems at the back I think it's also worth considering a back four. A few teams are using centre halves at full back, and that's a possibility.
I posted in shoutbox that a back four of Baldock-Anel- Trusty-Robinson looks more competitive than anything we've put out thus far. I'd be quite happy to see us just reduce the number of chances we're conceding even if it's to the detriment of attacking. Being a bit more solid has to be at the top of the agenda.

A midfield 2 of Souza and Hamer, with McAtee/Slimane supporting a striker is worth trying. Some additional pace and athleticism in Larouci and Bogle out wide looks good albeit limited going forward. Even Brooks or Seriki may be worth throwing on out wide with instruction to help the full back.

Agree there's not a lot to work with but we have two weeks to get something going now.

All well and good punting a long ball into an open space. All it does is wear out the poor bugger who has to chase it each time. While you sit back and admire your pass to more than likely the opposition, as they have less ground to cover.

I posted in shoutbox that a back four of Baldock-Anel- Trusty-Robinson looks more competitive than anything we've put out thus far. I'd be quite happy to see us just reduce the number of chances we're conceding even if it's to the detriment of attacking. Being a bit more solid has to be at the top of the agenda.

A midfield 2 of Souza and Hamer, with McAtee/Slimane supporting a striker is worth trying. Some additional pace and athleticism in Larouci and Bogle out wide looks good albeit limited going forward. Even Brooks or Seriki may be worth throwing on out wide with instruction to help the full back.

Agree there's not a lot to work with but we have two weeks to get something going now.

Dan Burn, Ben White, Josko Gvardiol, Nathan Ake, Ezri Konsa, Levi Colwill, Charlie Taylor are examples of centre halves who've been used at full back of late, it's a bit of a trend. They add height and strength, meaning it's less of a problem if they are selecting smaller/weaker players in other positions. If we did switch to a 4-5-1 players like Bogle and Larouci would possibly be better used as wide midfielders.

Hope the management are keeping an open mind about what's possible to do with the squad.

The saddest thing for me yesterday was when we got two throw-ins on the right, and the players eagerly called JLT over because, frankly, it looked like our only attacking hope. There was something pathetic about it. The only other tactic, lumping it to McB and hoping for a lay-off to Archer, failed again and again. This has to be on the manager and coaching team surely? We look completely clueless.
Also it gave them the perfect opportunity to hit us on the break

Not a bad shout but can you imagine for one minute Hecky doing this or anything like it? No chance.

can we fast track to formations / personnel in a month when Trusty has done his metatarsal, Anel has been kidnapped by the Bosnian FA and Robinson’s head has exploded

Dan Burn, Ben White, Josko Gvardiol, Nathan Ake, Ezri Konsa, Levi Colwill, Charlie Taylor are examples of centre halves who've been used at full back of late, it's a bit of a trend. They add height and strength, meaning it's less of a problem if they are selecting smaller/weaker players in other positions. If we did switch to a 4-5-1 players like Bogle and Larouci would possibly be better used as wide midfielders.

Hope the management are keeping an open mind about what's possible to do with the squad.
Options running low.

G: Wes, Davies
RWB: Bogle
LWB: Thomas, Larouci
CB: Anel, Trusty, Robinson
CM: Slimane, Hamer, Souza, Norwood, Fleck, McAtee
CF: McBurnie, Archer, Brewster, Traore

Should make selection easier!

I’d be looking as I mention on a recent post at 5-4-1.

Just a question of what midfield you can fashion there. Norwood and Souza deeper and Hamer and McAtee further forward in support of a lone McBurnie? Slimane and Fleck as Fresh legs and a few quick options on the bench if needed?

As some have mentioned, you could consider Larouci in there if you went for a wide 4. Him and Macca out wide and Hamer and Souza or Norwood central?

I don’t believe that Hecky is telling them to play like that. I think that the players are bottling on their responsibilities through a complete lack of confidence in themselves and their team mates. Do you seriously think that Hecky and the coaching team would instruct them to boot the ball anywhere?
YES we did it last season -clearing our lines, so to speak leaving one target man and constantly looking for him bypassing midfield yes they are being told to do that -

Loving the analysis as ever Bergen Blade

One more thing from that first photo is the sheer naivety of our defending. You highlight Norwood and Souza but for me the issue is that Ahmedhodzic has gone attacking but we've not compensated for that. Trusty is challenging Vinícius but for me that should be Robinson with Trusty further across to guard against Pereira's run. Thomas should be goalside of De Cordova-Reid who ends up exploiting the enormous gaps and scoring past the exposed Foderingham.

I would also have loved to see Vinícius on the receiving end of a Robinson reducer.

Excuse the Paint editing of the screengrab...

1696858627423.png

Rather than
1696858672712.png

Back
Top Bottom