Is this the High Water Mark for Wilder's Blades?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

west_yorks_blade

PL next season, Europe following season
Reaction score
Let me just say for the record

I have never been happy in 38 years of being a Blade
I have never been prouder as a Blade, of what has been achieved by Wilder and this band of brothers.
I'm loving every minute of it, really savouring it.
At the start of the season I expected a few hammerings by now - but sitting in 6th place today, fear no one in this league.

But could three factors mean that we look back on this with fondness as the high water mark of our success?

- Injuries. We were weaker at the back without Egan and Hendo (i know he was ineligible rather than injured). Any long term injuries in any position on the pitch will leave us exposed, as I don't think the squad has strength in depth.

- Suspensions. As the cards rack up, suspensions will cause the same issues as injuries. We will struggle to field strong sides.

- Getting tactically sussed. Clearly the opposition still don't really know how to play us and nullify our threat. Will someone figure this out? If they do, you can be sure others will adopt the same tactics.

We need a good JTW, spending sensible money on the right players and some good fortune. If so, I am confident that CW/AK will maintain standards and keep us near the top.

So I'm not trying to be doom & gloom.
I would just encourage everyone to enjoy what we have for as long as we have it.

I have never been prouder as a Blade, of what has been achieved by Wilder and this band of brothers.
At the start of the season I expected a few hammerings by now - but sitting in 6th place today, fear no one in this league.

But could three factors mean that we look back on this with fondness as the high water mark of our success?

- Injuries. We were weaker at the back without Egan and Hendo (i know he was ineligible rather than injured). Any long term injuries in any position on the pitch will leave us exposed, as I don't think the squad has strength in depth.

- Suspensions. As the cards rack up, suspensions will cause the same issues as injuries. We will struggle to field strong sides.

- Getting tactically sussed. Clearly the opposition still don't really know how to play us and nullify our threat. Will someone figure this out? If they do, you can be sure others will adopt the same tactics.

We need a good JTW, spending sensible money on the right players and some good fortune. If so, I am confident that CW/AK will maintain standards and keep us near the top.

I would just encourage everyone to enjoy what we have for as long as we have it.

If Wilder goes about the transfer window correctly like he did last season then we should have adequate enough cover.

Good points, but what i would say is that pretty much all 13 of the best sides in England have changed their system to match us. Thats a hell of a statement on its own.

Would love to have more time to respond fully as i think its a great point. However, we've been here before,

Championship first season - Baldock and Stevens joined, Brooks came and went, Lost Coutts, Leon was at his limit, we needed a keeper and towards the end of the season we were limping through..

Championship second season - Replaced Coutts with Norwood. Duffy was back at his best, Leon moved aside for McGoldrick, Madine came in, But then we also added Hendo and Egan to replace capable players. Baldock and Stevens stepped up a gear.

Premier League Year one - We've maintained the side which got us here, but Lunny has come in and bolstered the midfield, Hendo is back, Mousse is turning into a hell of a find and we've yet to see the best of McBurnie, Robinson and Freeman

The side evolves naturally and we're already planning for new signings in Jan to boost us.

Injuries can only be prepared for with cover, you can't anticipate them, but touch wood, we've managed to reduce injuries since Wilder arrived, you can't mitigate against impact injuries (though Gary Neville made a good point about Phil Jones last night), you can only train the players to be more resilient by being stronger and fitter.

Looking this season and last night in particular, the comparison between this season and the Warnock and Bassett Premier League seasons is that those teams were at their limit. This one isn't. We're stepping up. Our standards aren't dropping, our manager and players will ensure that.

You seem determined to talk yourself out of the enjoyment that you want all of us to have mate although I’m sure you didn’t intend it to read like that.

Injuries and suspensions are par for the course. Every club has them just some to a greater degree than others and as S40 blade says we can talk all day about being sussed but it shows no signs of happening. If it does then wilder and knill ha e given r laugh brlief to suggest that they will stay one step ahead.

We were without 2 ever presents yesterday but limited one of the so called giants to a 10 minute period where they got in utopia of us. In all honesty that could have happened with Egan and Henderson playing and if that’s all Newton Heath had then i’ll Take that all day long.

Outside of the top six, whose resources are greater, points one and two apply to all the other teams in the Premier League. With regard to getting "Sussed" by other teams, we have been playing this way for three and a bit seasons and we have done OK so far. It's one thing being Sussed and another actually being able to do something about it.
Is this a High water mark?" Dunno really. Ask us again at the end of the season :D :D
Edit. just seen Digs Blade reply and we seem to be saying the sma thing.

Do you mean this season? If so, yes, I can’t see us finishing higher than 6th.
If you mean long term, I bloody hope not.

Predictive text does my head in but I’m sure you get the drift 😀
If you click on the button to the right of ‘report’ you have ten minutes from posting to edit your post.

I think most of the players we brought in in the summer are currently back up players because the players they were brought in for are keeping them out as someone has said teams evolve I am sure wilder and knill were not expecting the first eleven(last seasons players) to have achieved so much so soon which actually makes it even more enjoyable

It only gets more difficult from here.

In terms of character, teamwork, effort and response to coaching, this side is running at 100% just now. This only thing that can improve it is recruitment, or a reserve player bursting out the shadows like Moose. That’s hard to achieve.

So yes, I’m drinking this stuff in like the finest champagne. It’s a team operating at its very very best.

You're right that's it. From now on it's downwards all the way to Division 2. You don't think CWAK have the savvy to change the system when required.?

I don't see why this has to be the high water mark for this team, I genuinely belief that there is still more to come. Each time we have moved up people have said that we would out of our depth , but it hasn't happened has it? The players have just stepped up and taken it in their stride. Players like Fleck, Baldock, Stevens , Lunstram and the others look as though they were born to play in the Premiere League. I see no reason why they can't continue to improve & get even better. People are starting to admit that we are actually a good side , and with a bit more investment can be a very good side . No Blades team in my 55 years of supporting them has had more potential to step up to the next level and be contenders to win things in my view.

If he gets adequately backed in January we're playing in Europe next season

this is so bloody realistically true---and who could possibly have thought it.? A couple more really useful judicious signings a la Moose or Norwood and yes we could be knocking on the European door

As the famous basketball player Labron Jame sis fond of saying

""when the door of opportunity is in front of you... kick the Mother f___er down !!"

this is our door of opportunity

If you click on the button to the right of ‘report’ you have ten minutes from posting to edit your post.
Didn’t realise that thanks for letting me know. Often wondered why not many others seemed to have this problem

I think most of the players we brought in in the summer are currently back up players because the players they were brought in for are keeping them out as someone has said teams evolve I am sure wilder and knill were not expecting the first eleven(last seasons players) to have achieved so much so soon which actually makes it even more enjoyable

Great OP. Was about to say virtually the same thing as you Boxer. Luke Freeman has looked a great player in the short time he's played, Osborn is meant to be decent. Morrison is meant be be naturally gifted (according to Sir Alex) and has hopefully grown up and got past being a liability. Robinson, McBurnie yet to really shine. When the inevitable injuries and suspensions come they need to step up and be better than the current 11. If there're not, Wilder will do the right thing and move them on. We then go again with next seasons £100m in the bank. I'm off for a lie down this is all getting too much

For me we can handle 1 or 2 injuries at the same time but 3-5 would really affect us. We were missing two pivotal players on Sunday and played remarkably. 1 GK and 1 CB is/was OK. Losing both Basham and O'Connell for the same match wouldn't be for example.

If we lost say Fleck or Lundstram for a period, i feel this may force us back into a "10" and two "9s" with McGoldrick or Freeman playing in the No.10 role.

Good points, but what i would say is that pretty much all 13 of the best sides in England have changed their system to match us. Thats a hell of a statement on its own.

Would love to have more time to respond fully as i think its a great point. However, we've been here before,

Championship first season - Baldock and Stevens joined, Brooks came and went, Lost Coutts, Leon was at his limit, we needed a keeper and towards the end of the season we were limping through..

Championship second season - Replaced Coutts with Norwood. Duffy was back at his best, Leon moved aside for McGoldrick, Madine came in, But then we also added Hendo and Egan to replace capable players. Baldock and Stevens stepped up a gear.

Premier League Year one - We've maintained the side which got us here, but Lunny has come in and bolstered the midfield, Hendo is back, Mousse is turning into a hell of a find and we've yet to see the best of McBurnie, Robinson and Freeman

The side evolves naturally and we're already planning for new signings in Jan to boost us.

Injuries can only be prepared for with cover, you can't anticipate them, but touch wood, we've managed to reduce injuries since Wilder arrived, you can't mitigate against impact injuries (though Gary Neville made a good point about Phil Jones last night), you can only train the players to be more resilient by being stronger and fitter.

Looking this season and last night in particular, the comparison between this season and the Warnock and Bassett Premier League seasons is that those teams were at their limit. This one isn't. We're stepping up. Our standards aren't dropping, our manager and players will ensure that.
That wasn't a full response! :)

no mate. have a look at the fixture list for the next five games ;)

For me we can handle 1 or 2 injuries at the same time but 3-5 would really affect us. We were missing two pivotal players on Sunday and played remarkably. 1 GK and 1 CB is/was OK. Losing both Basham and O'Connell for the same match wouldn't be for example.

If we lost say Fleck or Lundstram for a period, i feel this may force us back into a "10" and two "9s" with McGoldrick or Freeman playing in the No.10 role.
3-5 injuries would affect any team.. even City

Can't believe you've never been happy watching the Blades for 38 years WYB, not even beating Wendy 2-4 ? ;)

Every team has injuries and suspensions so don't know why i keep seeing this mentioned. If Spurs lost Kane they'd be more buggered than us not having Hendo etc. Its the whole point of having a squad and most of the new signings haven't even started a game yet, plus we cant afford to spend big on players to sit in the stands...

Nearly been 200 appearances with this type of system. Think we'll be reyt regarding being sussed out. 😁👍
CWAK are ahead of the game , the system is evolving and will continue to evolve as the quality in the squad gets better that's the key
Stand still and go backwards ,I'm sure we will push on ,how far they can take us who knows!!.The ambition is there with CWAK.
Let's hope the owners whoever's they are can match that ,if so it 's going to be an eventful time being a blade.
Bring it on !!!

Back
Top Bottom