Is it the worst move ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

wak1889

Reaction score
Let's assume Chris wilder has left, (I understand nothing has been confirmed as yet) but Is it the worst move for all concerned,

Many fans will say that it's a catastrophic decision and we will never recover , some will say it's the correct decision, I stand in the latter camp.

However let's compare wilder with Norwood in terms of performance and fans attitude

Norwood: performed brilliantly in the championship, no premier League experience to speak of, had a great first season in the premier League, however since lockdown and in his second season in the PL he has been awful, result : gets absolute peters week in week out on here, it's his fault for everything, let's get rid as soon as possible not good enough for the PL that's why no one has taken a chance on him previously

Wilder , performed brilliantly in league 1 and the championship, no premier League experience to speak of , had a great first season in the PL, however since lockdown and in his second season in the PL has been absolutely awful, result: deserves another chance in the championship, would be a disaster to sack him, worst mistake in a generation etc, etc,

I just don't understand why Chris wilder has so much credit in the bank with fans based on what we achieved in a lower level , some of it 2 divisions lower and almost 5 seasons ago,

Yet a player that has had pretty much the same level of success in the past 3 seasons gets absolutely hammered week in week out.

Wilder has had 4 seasons of almost constant success and accolades 75% of those seasons were in a lower division than the current one we are in, could it be that he just isn't good enough for the premier League ? Ala Norwood, And if we are wanting to establish ourselves we need someone that is and the prince has decided this

Good post and thoughtful comparison with Norwood, but....
Your points are valid if we were to remain a Premier league side, however that 75% of lower division success falls right where we'll most likely be next season. I doubt Wilder had the budget to replace Norwood and lower the age of an aging front line, maybe he would have in Jan..?

I can't think of an alternate better than Wilder.

It's probably not the right decision short term, but it's done (probably) and there's no saying it might not turn out alright in the end, and there's no saying with Wilder at the helm we'd be getting promoted again next season. We can't see the future and don't know what the board has in mind.

I maintain that had this happened in January, people would've been a lot more accepting of it, but we'd just started to see the Championship at the end of this dogshit Premier League relegation tunnel and some of the memories were coming back, which is making this worse, but let's not overlook how dire we are and not lay all the blame at the boards feet.

Always going to go at some point though, can't have Wilder until he was 75 and then shutter the club.

I'm absolutely fucking gutted, don't get me wrong, but yeah, still got some decent players for a league lower and I don't think they'll all leave.

Good post and thoughtful comparison with Norwood, but....
Your points are valid if we were to remain a Premier league side, however that 75% of lower division success falls right where we'll most likely be next season. I doubt Wilder had the budget to replace Norwood and lower the age of an aging front line, maybe he would have in Jan..?

I can't think of an alternate better than Wilder.
Perhaps because you are not up to speed on foreign coaches/managers.
Neither am I but there may be some great ones out there.
I also remember several negative comments about Wilder when his appointment was announced

Whether we like it or not it looks like the relationship between Wilder and the owner is worse than we thought. We are not clear on the ins and outs of it so we can only make assumptions on who is to blame. But one thing is certain. The relationship is in trouble and there is only one outcome from that.

Reactions: SLB
If you don’t understand why Wilder is so beloved, you must have missed the last 30 years of being a Blade
My point is that 75% of Wilders success has been in Lower divisions, not the top flight , for over 50% of his top flight tenure we have been absolutely dreadful, beyond awful, worse than anything we have produced in the top flight in my lifetime, which includes the Bassett years and the Warnock years, if we are employing managers based purely on previous successes then we need to get Bassett back , the only manager in last 30 years to win back to back promotions and keep us in top flight for more than 2 seasons

Just put the Newcastle game on and Joe Cole said it’s a ridiculous decision Sheffield United have made as there is no one better for them next season ... and Rob Lee said he would love him in at Newcastle!

Just put the Newcastle game on and Joe Cole said it’s a ridiculous decision Sheffield United have made as there is no one better for them next season ... and Rob Lee said he would love him in at Newcastle!
Rob Lee might get his wish if villa win tonight

My point is that 75% of Wilders success has been in Lower divisions, not the top flight , for over 50% of his top flight tenure we have been absolutely dreadful, beyond awful, worse than anything we have produced in the top flight in my lifetime, which includes the Bassett years and the Warnock years, if we are employing managers based purely on previous successes then we need to get Bassett back , the only manager in last 30 years to win back to back promotions and keep us in top flight for more than 2 seasons
We won’t be back in the top flight anytime soon now so having a good top flight manager isn’t really important.

Let's assume Chris wilder has left, (I understand nothing has been confirmed as yet) but Is it the worst move for all concerned,

Many fans will say that it's a catastrophic decision and we will never recover , some will say it's the correct decision, I stand in the latter camp.

However let's compare wilder with Norwood in terms of performance and fans attitude

Norwood: performed brilliantly in the championship, no premier League experience to speak of, had a great first season in the premier League, however since lockdown and in his second season in the PL he has been awful, result : gets absolute peters week in week out on here, it's his fault for everything, let's get rid as soon as possible not good enough for the PL that's why no one has taken a chance on him previously

Wilder , performed brilliantly in league 1 and the championship, no premier League experience to speak of , had a great first season in the PL, however since lockdown and in his second season in the PL has been absolutely awful, result: deserves another chance in the championship, would be a disaster to sack him, worst mistake in a generation etc, etc,

I just don't understand why Chris wilder has so much credit in the bank with fans based on what we achieved in a lower level , some of it 2 divisions lower and almost 5 seasons ago,

Yet a player that has had pretty much the same level of success in the past 3 seasons gets absolutely hammered week in week out.

Wilder has had 4 seasons of almost constant success and accolades 75% of those seasons were in a lower division than the current one we are in, could it be that he just isn't good enough for the premier League ? Ala Norwood, And if we are wanting to establish ourselves we need someone that is and the prince has decided this

Norwood is an interesting comparison wak1889, but I think in the not too distant future, there may yet be more defining comparables to be revealed between Wilder and Lundstram 😉

Back
Top Bottom