Is anyone else relatively happy with our options up front?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Done will play on the wing this season, I'm certain of it. There's too much competition up top and not enough on the flanks.

Presuming Adams is off, you could have Duffy and Done on the flanks with Sharp / Clarke / DCL / McNulty up top and Done swapping with one of them mid game confusing the opponents to high heaven.

Ideally, yes - we'd have a 'plan B' target man type forward, but for me, I'm relatively happy with our forward options as things stand - Sharp, Done, Adams, DCL, McNulty. In my opinion, it's our strongest area in the squad.

We need to be prioritising transfer bids for elsewhere in the side, and using what money we do have for:
Right sided centre half
Attacking centre mid
Goalkeeper
Winger

In that order, IMO.

UTB.

I’d probably place the winger higher than the attacking centre mid but otherwise, I agree with the sentiment that up front, we are pretty strong. The balance isn’t quite right though. If we could swap one of Done/McNulty for Clarke, then I reckon we’d be in good shape up front.

Sharp/Clarke as the first choice pairing and

Adams/DCL as the 2nd choice pairing and eventual successors as first choice pairing.

One of McNulty and Done filling out the squad as a back up option.

That would look very tidy.

But, as it stands, I can see Adams being our left winger if we don’t sign one and if we don't sell him.

No I'm not ..... there's no balance. Sharp, Done and McNuts are too similar and need to play off a "target man" who is strong and can hold the ball whilst being physically attacked by defenders. Adams is an attacking midfield player and DCL is a development player.

We still need 5 decent quality first teamers to come in to make the squad competitive this year and there's no particular order because they're all necessary before the Bolton game.

Imho we need GK, CH, CM, CF and wide mid. If we sell Adams then we will also need another attacking Midfield player of decent quality / promise to replace him.

Rebuilding job is only just begun so far ......... :rolleyes:

UTB & FTP

People slag off Collins but in terms of goals conceded he was at the heart of the best United defence for the past 50 years.

No I'm not ..... there's no balance. Sharp, Done and McNuts are too similar and need to play off a "target man" who is strong and can hold the ball whilst being physically attacked by defenders. Adams is an attacking midfield player and DCL is a development player.

We still need 5 decent quality first teamers to come in to make the squad competitive this year and there's no particular order because they're all necessary before the Bolton game.

Imho we need GK, CH, CM, CF and wide mid. If we sell Adams then we will also need another attacking Midfield player of decent quality / promise to replace him.

Rebuilding job is only just begun so far ......... :rolleyes:

UTB & FTP
I can see your argument however, I cannot see them coming in before kick off. If I put my optimistic hat on I say two unless someone goes and three if someone does. With that in mind, I would like a RCB, a tall box to box mid and a target man, in that order. Reason for that order is that we seem light at CB, short in height in mid field but Basham may come good (make weight player). DCL, I think, may surprise us under Wilder and could possibly become a target man, Vardyesque. I also believe in Santa amd fairies at the bottom of the garden......oooh and lucky four-leaf clover and knock on wood for good luck and I NEVER walk under Ladders....

Ah fair enough. I think you might well be right with Wilson and Wright. I'm more optimistic about O Connell.

I expect Wilson to start well, like McEveley did. He's someone who's got the attributes and has done well in the past, but he's got a point to prove and signing for us is a big opportunity for him. I think he'll be focused and up for it.

Done will play on the wing this season, I'm certain of it. There's too much competition up top and not enough on the flanks.

Presuming Adams is off, you could have Duffy and Done on the flanks with Sharp / Clarke / DCL / McNulty up top and Done swapping with one of them mid game confusing the opponents to high heaven.
CW clearly said that Done was played out of position last season, that he is not a winger and he should be played up top. So unless CW has changed is mind? He will not play on the wing. Although @ Halifax he played just behind in mid field?? (Round pegs in square holes)

As I said, no he wasn't.

In his best season for us we conceded 42 (12/13), in the 08/09 season we only conceded 39.
In any event, it's no measure of quality is it? It's like saying some L2 striker is better than a PL striker because he scored more goals.

We need another option, a tall strong player, someone who can offer a ariel threat, however I think we should wait till January

CW clearly said that Done was played out of position last season, that he is not a winger and he should be played up top. So unless CW has changed is mind? He will not play on the wing. Although @ Halifax he played just behind in mid field?? (Round pegs in square holes)

He's said they couldn't believe he'd been playing so deep last season, i.e. wing back or left back. If Wilder does play 4-2-3-1 I expect Done to be in one of the wide forward roles, probably more often on the right which will enable him to cut inside, roam around, supporting and getting beyond the striker with wholehearted runs. It's not right to describe this role as an orthodox winger. Done's a very ordinary winger/wide midfielder/wing back, but I think he can thrive in the mentioned system.

Try to pick out Done in these highlights and you'll see what I mean:

We need another option, a tall strong player, someone who can offer a ariel threat, however I think we should wait till January

Too many points up for grabs from the first game in August to January . If you are going to bring someone in bring them in now .

He's said they couldn't believe he'd been playing so deep last season, i.e. wing back or left back. If Wilder does play 4-2-3-1 I expect Done to be in one of the wide forward roles, probably more often on the right which will enable him to cut inside, roam around, supporting and getting beyond the striker with wholehearted runs. It's not right to describe this role as an orthodox winger. Done's a very ordinary winger/wide midfielder/wing back, but I think he can thrive in the mentioned system.

Try to pick out Done in these highlights and you'll see what I mean:

George Long, how did he let that in, it was straight down the middle

By January, as usual, we will be so far behind the top two that it will be season over which is why we need the players in now .......

UTB & FTP

Back
Top Bottom