In the cold light of day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What you say is absolutely correct - we basically don't have the ammo to do better- no change of manager will change this - it's impossible.

But that’s just not true

How could you possibly know another manager wouldn’t do better ?

Gary O’Neil kept a dead and buried Bournemouth up last year

And Edwards at Luton is doing a far better job that hecky is

Almost beat Spurs, almost got a point against Man City. Did well against Forest and only lost because of enforced subs, might well have gone on to win otherwise. Could/should have beaten Everton.

Weren't too bad in first 20/25mins against Newcastle and West Ham.

How's that?
My main positive is that the new lads have shown glimpses of how good they can be (Hamer and Archer).
The players out of form can improve massively because we've seen them reach higher ceilings before (Anel and Bogle etc).
McAtee has undoubted ability that he hasn't recreated yet.
And we've still got Brewster, Baldock and RND to come back into the team.
Add in that Davies and Slimane are only just coming into fitness and I think we can only improve.

My main positive is that the new lads have shown glimpses of how good they can be (Hamer and Archer).
The players out of form can improve massively because we've seen them reach higher ceilings before (Anel and Bogle etc).
McAtee has undoubted ability that he hasn't recreated yet.
And we've still got Brewster, Baldock and RND to come back into the team.
Add in that Davies and Slimane are only just coming into fitness and I think we can only improve.
Brewster to come back... if he stays fit and plays all the rest of the games this season he might get 2 goals

We do not have time to improve. Lose at Fulham, and i think the board will move. It just seems at times Hecky is watching a different game to us fans.

Well can base all things on one terrible result but we once took 18 games to win a game in this division but finished mid table ... yes we ONLY drew with everton but that's no doesn't mean we can make up for it by say beating villa there is no rhyme or reason how wolves beat man city. I'm sure they weren't expecting that

It's not the terrible result, based on the performance the result was decent.
We could have lost 10 or 11 nil. Yes the performance was shockingly bad, with little effort in the 2nd half.

I watched most of our matches that season under Bassett and we competed in every match, under Bassett were were always gauranteed 100% effort. Many games were close in that season but we seemed to have bad luck in front of goal. When we eventually won, home to Forest it was celebrated like winning a cup final.

This season we've not had that much bad luck, apart from the McBurne last minute header.
The issue is that we don't have many attacks or many shots, where as the opposition have plenty of attacks.
So the problems are more serious than the results, to be honest apart from Newcastle the result have all been respectable.

In the cold light of day we have a squad of non-PL players of which 30% is out injured and an owner who has no money to invest.

We supposedly have Championship and upper Championship players so we should be competing closer with the PL players.
Instead we look like a league 1 team playing a PL side in the cup, even Luton and Burnley are competitive regards performance, so why aren't we?
Let's hope performances iprmove, maybe 1 win and it sparks an upsurge, you never know.

We've been generally lacking in attacking threat all season and clearly lacking in belief and confidence.
Suspect the Spurs result really damaged morale but even so it does feel as if the players are capable of more than they're currently showing.
It almost certainly won't be enough but it's hard to say we're really giving it a go as it doesn't really feel as if the club, players and manager have much of that kind of spirit about them at the moment.
Possibly why a change of manager is likely as well as the results themselves.

Last season we had fight, identity and character. We had players who could change the course of games.
Most of that disappeared when we lost the likes of Sharp, Berge, Ndiaye and to a degree Stevens and Doyle.
What we have now is a new collection of inexperienced individuals in key areas trying to make a fist of it against unforgiving elite teams.
The management team has a huge job on their hands to fix it.

From what I’ve seen so far, we’re not very good and I personally don’t see that much to suggest we’re going to get much better.

On the other hand, If someone told you before the season we’d lose to Man City and Newcastle at home and Spurs and West Ham away, would you have been surprised? There’s no excuse for 8-0, but us getting hammered by Newcastle isn’t really a shocking outcome.

I’m trying to keep an open mind until Saturday. Fulham have been decent in recent seasons but they looked useless against a struggling Chelsea side on Monday night. Not saying we should be winning, but if we turn in another terrible performance against them, for me I think the writing’s on the wall.

Some posters on here are unbelievable

'if there were positives I wouldn't be moaning'

How much more positive is it when you get promoted to the best league in the world.
We finished 2nd and got promoted from the Championship and it was moan moan moan.
Every post.
All season long.
This manger is useless.
He's no idea
Get rid.

Same shit posts, different season .

We all, the sensible ones, knew it was going to be difficult.
With our budget, whoever the manager is, Pep Guardiola, Sean Dyche, Jesus Christ or Brian the Blade, it is STILL going to be difficult.

Some people just love moaning and/or crave attention.

Where ever we end up, surviving or going back down, I 'll STILL follow the Blades.
And I 'll enjoy it. Unlike certain moaning bastards.

Some posters on here are unbelievable

'if there were positives I wouldn't be moaning'

How much more positive is it when you get promoted to the best league in the world.
We finished 2nd and got promoted from the Championship and it was moan moan moan.
Every post.
All season long.
This manger is useless.
He's no idea
Get rid.

Same shit posts, different season .

We all, the sensible ones, knew it was going to be difficult.
With our budget, whoever the manager is, Pep Guardiola, Sean Dyche, Jesus Christ or Brian the Blade, it is STILL going to be difficult.

Some people just love moaning and/or crave attention.

Where ever we end up, surviving or going back down, I 'll STILL follow the Blades.
And I 'll enjoy it. Unlike certain moaning bastards.

I rarely moan but prefer to be realistic and tell it how it is. If we lose and play well most posters complain about how bad we were but I’ll praise us if we play well. Same as if we win but play poorly where the opposition dominate most posters think we were brilliant and praise the team. I’ll make comments about how we can t continue playing poorly and expect to steal a result all the time. That’s not negativity it’s reality.

Last season we played like an average Championship team most matches, any neutral would say the same, then we had 15 minute spells where we looked really good like a top 2 side, then bizarrely has 15 minute spells where we couldn’t string 3 passes together. it’s reality however the difference was we had brilliant individuals in NDiaye and to a degree McAtee who could score from nothing, almost like a cheat code.

Hecky was then negative in his tactics making us sit back defending for the last 30 minutes of many matches inviting pressure. Thought it was a dodgy tactic asking for trouble but fair play, it worked because our defence was consistently able to defend deep for long spells. When the players found the ball we’d just punt it out upfield straight to their player.

You had Pompey giving his review saying it was efficient but hardly pretty as we often battled and scrapped for 3 points.

We’ve continued these same tactics into the PL inviting pressure, so it’s only a matter of time before the opposition score.

It is the managers responsibility but he’s got plenty of valid excuses. No pre season experimentation as most of our better players were bought around deadline day. Lost our best player who single handedly won matches for us last season, a few injuries, lots of new players who are probably low on confidence.

Agree with the other poster not too concerned if we lose to Fulham, I’m more bothered about the performance and stuff the manager can effect like tactics, confident, effort, substitutes, in game tactical changes.

Same as I’m not too bothered that we only have 1 point. However I expected us to play like a top Championship side, lose but compete, have some threat every now and then. Think the players are top end Championship level and should be doing better. Luton and Burnley are also losing but they are competing and threatening most games, if they can do it why can’t we?

Just been looking back at the season so far. I'm feeling very low on belief so far, but wanted to review things in the cold light of day, game by game. Hoping to draw some positives and restore that belief a little.

Palace (0-1): Based on the team that was available, I can't be react too harshly to the result. The defensive performance was worrying and we really ought to have lost by more. I wrote this one off at the time and it's not really had any bearing on my thoughts about the rest of the season.

Forest (1-2): Concerning first half in my opinion. Lacking conviction and cohesiveness. Some very positive signs second half and at one point I genuinely thought we'd go on to win it. But for a defensive mistake it would have been a very decent point. In spite of the result, I was pretty optimistic that we were starting to build confidence in how we wanted to play.

City (1-2): We were obviously outplayed for the vast majority of the game. However, our commitment and desire to stay in the match was there for all to see. The players looked like they believed they could a result and that transferred to the stands. When we equalized I again had visions of us winning. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. I went to this match with a non Blade friend (Man Utd supporter) and he was very impressed with us. We both thought that the belief this game created would see us kick on and we'd start to get some positive results.

Lincoln (0-0 lost on pens): Was unable to go, so reluctant to comment in any great detail. From what I've seen/read, we were pretty dreadful and lack any real quality or fight. This was very disappointing as it should have been used a springboard in terms of goals/confidence.

Everton (2-2): Thought we were decent, although our defensive frailties meant I never felt confident of winning, as we kept conceding chances to a very average Everton team. In the end a draw was probably just about fair. I was impressed with Archer and McBurnie as a partnership and we'd appeared to have found a bit of rhythm to our attacking play. Left the ground feeling like a win wasn't too far away.

Spurs (1-2): Didn't get lucky with tickets, so watched from home. Spurs outplayed us generally without creating much. We managed the vast majority of the game really effectively and it was an away performance to be proud of, especially with them being in such good form. Obviously totally gutted to lose it. However it was a performance full of heart and promise. My optimism was still high at that point.

Newcastle (0-8): I was very impressed with the first 20 mins or so. Went toe-to-toe with an excellent team and caused them more than a few headaches. Obviously the (controversial) goals knocked the stuffing out of us. That being said, our second half performance/attitude was woeful. Players and the manager have to hold their hands up. The half time change was disastrous from PH but the players simply didn't compete. Can't recall seeing our first XI down tools in that manner before. Found this one hard to understand and feared that the effect on the players would be hard to recover from.

West Ham (0-2): My first away game this season. Aside from the match itself, I had a brilliant weekend in London. I note most peoples reaction to the performance was that we showed "heart" etc etc. I genuinely expected the players to be angry and put in a blood and thunder performance. Other than a few decent spells I thought we were ponderous and lacked any sort of belief when it came to our play in the final third. It was not the performance I expected, even though it was it better than the previous one. Had West Ham been any good, I think we've had lost heavily again. Also; the London Stadium is a soulless, joy sucking place to watch football in. I pray we never move to such a venue.

Overall: The feeling I have at the moment is very similar to the relegation season under Wilder. Based on what I've seen so far we appear to be out of our depth. There's been brief spells of play where we seem to click, but the lack of consistency in this regard is stark and, unless this is addressed, we face a depressing season with early relegation likely. Being a natural optimist, I still feel like we can turn it around and there is certainly plenty of time to do so. A win within the next 2/3 games is vital though. I have doubts we can go on a long enough run to overhaul a large points/GD deficit.

UTB
Could have wrote that myself…agree with every word.

I’m still hopeful we stay up and believe if we don’t then we go down fighting. The positive for me is there’s still a long way to go and football can be funny where the form can be transformed.

Also think we’re in a mini league so might only need a lowly 30 points to stay up.

Luton and Burnley are also losing but they are competing and threatening most games, if they can do it why can’t we?
They have both only won by once. Ok that's one more than us.
I wouldn't exactly day that suggests they are competing and threatening.
Not many teams in the premier will have lots of possession against the likes of Citeh or even Spurs or Newcastle.
We showed signs against Forest and Everton. Against Palace we were down to bare bones and with players who were new to the squad.
However lacking we were in possession against spurs and citeh, we definitely showed commitment and desire. Newcastle and W Ham the same could not be said.
I agree, it's not good. We have lacked steel over the last two games and this HAS to be addressed.
My comment above was aimed at those who NEVER post ANYTHING positive. Not your good self who usually posts objectively with reasoned argument s.

I'm tired of hearing the same old same old whining crap some posters come out with
We all know what their agenda is. It's like having the same shity pop song on continuous loop all day every day.

I rarely moan but prefer to be realistic and tell it how it is. If we lose and play well most posters complain about how bad we were but I’ll praise us if we play well. Same as if we win but play poorly where the opposition dominate most posters think we were brilliant and praise the team. I’ll make comments about how we can t continue playing poorly and expect to steal a result all the time. That’s not negativity it’s reality.

Last season we played like an average Championship team most matches, any neutral would say the same, then we had 15 minute spells where we looked really good like a top 2 side, then bizarrely has 15 minute spells where we couldn’t string 3 passes together. it’s reality however the difference was we had brilliant individuals in NDiaye and to a degree McAtee who could score from nothing, almost like a cheat code.

Hecky was then negative in his tactics making us sit back defending for the last 30 minutes of many matches inviting pressure. Thought it was a dodgy tactic asking for trouble but fair play, it worked because our defence was consistently able to defend deep for long spells. When the players found the ball we’d just punt it out upfield straight to their player.

You had Pompey giving his review saying it was efficient but hardly pretty as we often battled and scrapped for 3 points.

We’ve continued these same tactics into the PL inviting pressure, so it’s only a matter of time before the opposition score.

It is the managers responsibility but he’s got plenty of valid excuses. No pre season experimentation as most of our better players were bought around deadline day. Lost our best player who single handedly won matches for us last season, a few injuries, lots of new players who are probably low on confidence.

Agree with the other poster not too concerned if we lose to Fulham, I’m more bothered about the performance and stuff the manager can effect like tactics, confident, effort, substitutes, in game tactical changes.

Same as I’m not too bothered that we only have 1 point. However I expected us to play like a top Championship side, lose but compete, have some threat every now and then. Think the players are top end Championship level and should be doing better. Luton and Burnley are also losing but they are competing and threatening most games, if they can do it why can’t we?
Because our players aren’t good enough , we don’t have a style of play other than damage limitation, we don’t have a belief or identity and we are brittle . We don’t have a complimentary midfield , our defence has become shell shocked and suffers from ptsd , our forward line are starved and our wingbacks aren’t wingbacks they are bewildered backs . We have a subs bench that must be dreading getting on and a manager who is dreading using them .

It’s a fkin mess

They have both only won by once. Ok that's one more than us.
I wouldn't exactly day that suggests they are competing and threatening.
Not many teams in the premier will have lots of possession against the likes of Citeh or even Spurs or Newcastle.
We showed signs against Forest and Everton. Against Palace we were down to bare bones and with players who were new to the squad.
However lacking we were in possession against spurs and citeh, we definitely showed commitment and desire. Newcastle and W Ham the same could not be said.
I agree, it's not good. We have lacked steel over the last two games and this HAS to be addressed.
My comment above was aimed at those who NEVER post ANYTHING positive. Not your good self who usually posts objectively with reasoned argument s.

I'm tired of hearing the same old same old whining crap some posters come out with
We all know what their agenda is. It's like having the same shity pop song on continuous loop all day every day.

Keep saying I’m not looking too much at the results, apart from the 8-0 ours are decent and suggest we are competing. However it’s the general performance and tactics as though we’re a league 1 side playing a PL team in the cup.

Watch the Burnley and Luton games, check their forums, check the in game stats and XG. It shows they have attacks and create chances most matches.

Agree that we’ve played some tough teams so shouldn’t be judged too harshly because they are not the games that are as meaningful. It’s almost like we have a separate league with Burnley, Luton, Everton, Bournemouth and possibly Wolves, altho they’ve looked good the few times I’ve seen them.

Agree there are some posters who constantly complain and refuse to even think about anything positive, some are clearly attention seekers or Wednesday fans, in the grand scheme things aren’t too bad and hopefully we’ll have a new owner soon.

I probably come across as being critical but sometimes I will be positive and complementary when deserved and I’ll still support the team even if we went down to league 2 like I did when I went to every home match when we were in div 4.

Because our players aren’t good enough , we don’t have a style of play other than damage limitation, we don’t have a belief or identity and we are brittle . We don’t have a complimentary midfield , our defence has become shell shocked and suffers from ptsd , our forward line are starved and our wingbacks aren’t wingbacks they are bewildered backs . We have a subs bench that must be dreading getting on and a manager who is dreading using them .

It’s a fkin mess

You’re like Simon Cowel…the truth can be so cruel at times. I’m still hoping a win or 2 and we become a team transformed.

Lowe had a 2 month spell of looking a good full back at the beginning of last season, he even liked like he was focused and trying, so miracles are possible.

People sometimes try to compare the Wilder time in the PL when we seemed to compete better but as factor that had changed the PL is

Being able to use 5 subs from a bench if 7 rule and this extra time rule where matches go to almost 100 minutes.

It means “squad” becomes as important as the first 11. Think ww can put out a decent 11 but the quality in the bench is really poor. Thats a valid excuse for Hecky.

You’re like Simon Cowel…the truth can be so cruel at times. I’m still hoping a win or 2 and we become a team transformed.

Lowe had a 2 month spell of looking a good full back at the beginning of last season, he even liked like he was focused and trying, so miracles are possible.

People sometimes try to compare the Wilder time in the PL when we seemed to compete better but as factor that had changed the PL is

Being able to use 5 subs from a bench if 7 rule and this extra time rule where matches go to almost 100 minutes.

It means “squad” becomes as important as the first 11. Think ww can put out a decent 11 but the quality in the bench is really poor. Thats a valid excuse for Hecky.
I don’t like that

I love it

Almost as if somebody has upset the dressing room by letting them know he's on 60k+ a week isn't it.. 🤣🤣

All jokes to one side, anybody know what Archer is on?

Just been looking back at the season so far. I'm feeling very low on belief so far, but wanted to review things in the cold light of day, game by game. Hoping to draw some positives and restore that belief a little.

Palace (0-1): Based on the team that was available, I can't be react too harshly to the result. The defensive performance was worrying and we really ought to have lost by more. I wrote this one off at the time and it's not really had any bearing on my thoughts about the rest of the season.

Forest (1-2): Concerning first half in my opinion. Lacking conviction and cohesiveness. Some very positive signs second half and at one point I genuinely thought we'd go on to win it. But for a defensive mistake it would have been a very decent point. In spite of the result, I was pretty optimistic that we were starting to build confidence in how we wanted to play.

City (1-2): We were obviously outplayed for the vast majority of the game. However, our commitment and desire to stay in the match was there for all to see. The players looked like they believed they could a result and that transferred to the stands. When we equalized I again had visions of us winning. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. I went to this match with a non Blade friend (Man Utd supporter) and he was very impressed with us. We both thought that the belief this game created would see us kick on and we'd start to get some positive results.

Lincoln (0-0 lost on pens): Was unable to go, so reluctant to comment in any great detail. From what I've seen/read, we were pretty dreadful and lack any real quality or fight. This was very disappointing as it should have been used a springboard in terms of goals/confidence.

Everton (2-2): Thought we were decent, although our defensive frailties meant I never felt confident of winning, as we kept conceding chances to a very average Everton team. In the end a draw was probably just about fair. I was impressed with Archer and McBurnie as a partnership and we'd appeared to have found a bit of rhythm to our attacking play. Left the ground feeling like a win wasn't too far away.

Spurs (1-2): Didn't get lucky with tickets, so watched from home. Spurs outplayed us generally without creating much. We managed the vast majority of the game really effectively and it was an away performance to be proud of, especially with them being in such good form. Obviously totally gutted to lose it. However it was a performance full of heart and promise. My optimism was still high at that point.

Newcastle (0-8): I was very impressed with the first 20 mins or so. Went toe-to-toe with an excellent team and caused them more than a few headaches. Obviously the (controversial) goals knocked the stuffing out of us. That being said, our second half performance/attitude was woeful. Players and the manager have to hold their hands up. The half time change was disastrous from PH but the players simply didn't compete. Can't recall seeing our first XI down tools in that manner before. Found this one hard to understand and feared that the effect on the players would be hard to recover from.

West Ham (0-2): My first away game this season. Aside from the match itself, I had a brilliant weekend in London. I note most peoples reaction to the performance was that we showed "heart" etc etc. I genuinely expected the players to be angry and put in a blood and thunder performance. Other than a few decent spells I thought we were ponderous and lacked any sort of belief when it came to our play in the final third. It was not the performance I expected, even though it was it better than the previous one. Had West Ham been any good, I think we've had lost heavily again. Also; the London Stadium is a soulless, joy sucking place to watch football in. I pray we never move to such a venue.

Overall: The feeling I have at the moment is very similar to the relegation season under Wilder. Based on what I've seen so far we appear to be out of our depth. There's been brief spells of play where we seem to click, but the lack of consistency in this regard is stark and, unless this is addressed, we face a depressing season with early relegation likely. Being a natural optimist, I still feel like we can turn it around and there is certainly plenty of time to do so. A win within the next 2/3 games is vital though. I have doubts we can go on a long enough run to overhaul a large points/GD deficit.

UTB

Seems a decent summary that. If we'd had McBurnie and Archer instead of Traoré and Osula I do think we would have beat Palace and gone on to have a better start.

Back
Top Bottom