In the cold light of day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

idleurchin

International Arm Stealer
Reaction score
Just been looking back at the season so far. I'm feeling very low on belief so far, but wanted to review things in the cold light of day, game by game. Hoping to draw some positives and restore that belief a little.

Palace (0-1): Based on the team that was available, I can't be react too harshly to the result. The defensive performance was worrying and we really ought to have lost by more. I wrote this one off at the time and it's not really had any bearing on my thoughts about the rest of the season.

Forest (1-2): Concerning first half in my opinion. Lacking conviction and cohesiveness. Some very positive signs second half and at one point I genuinely thought we'd go on to win it. But for a defensive mistake it would have been a very decent point. In spite of the result, I was pretty optimistic that we were starting to build confidence in how we wanted to play.

City (1-2): We were obviously outplayed for the vast majority of the game. However, our commitment and desire to stay in the match was there for all to see. The players looked like they believed they could a result and that transferred to the stands. When we equalized I again had visions of us winning. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. I went to this match with a non Blade friend (Man Utd supporter) and he was very impressed with us. We both thought that the belief this game created would see us kick on and we'd start to get some positive results.

Lincoln (0-0 lost on pens): Was unable to go, so reluctant to comment in any great detail. From what I've seen/read, we were pretty dreadful and lack any real quality or fight. This was very disappointing as it should have been used a springboard in terms of goals/confidence.

Everton (2-2): Thought we were decent, although our defensive frailties meant I never felt confident of winning, as we kept conceding chances to a very average Everton team. In the end a draw was probably just about fair. I was impressed with Archer and McBurnie as a partnership and we'd appeared to have found a bit of rhythm to our attacking play. Left the ground feeling like a win wasn't too far away.

Spurs (1-2): Didn't get lucky with tickets, so watched from home. Spurs outplayed us generally without creating much. We managed the vast majority of the game really effectively and it was an away performance to be proud of, especially with them being in such good form. Obviously totally gutted to lose it. However it was a performance full of heart and promise. My optimism was still high at that point.

Newcastle (0-8): I was very impressed with the first 20 mins or so. Went toe-to-toe with an excellent team and caused them more than a few headaches. Obviously the (controversial) goals knocked the stuffing out of us. That being said, our second half performance/attitude was woeful. Players and the manager have to hold their hands up. The half time change was disastrous from PH but the players simply didn't compete. Can't recall seeing our first XI down tools in that manner before. Found this one hard to understand and feared that the effect on the players would be hard to recover from.

West Ham (0-2): My first away game this season. Aside from the match itself, I had a brilliant weekend in London. I note most peoples reaction to the performance was that we showed "heart" etc etc. I genuinely expected the players to be angry and put in a blood and thunder performance. Other than a few decent spells I thought we were ponderous and lacked any sort of belief when it came to our play in the final third. It was not the performance I expected, even though it was it better than the previous one. Had West Ham been any good, I think we've had lost heavily again. Also; the London Stadium is a soulless, joy sucking place to watch football in. I pray we never move to such a venue.

Overall: The feeling I have at the moment is very similar to the relegation season under Wilder. Based on what I've seen so far we appear to be out of our depth. There's been brief spells of play where we seem to click, but the lack of consistency in this regard is stark and, unless this is addressed, we face a depressing season with early relegation likely. Being a natural optimist, I still feel like we can turn it around and there is certainly plenty of time to do so. A win within the next 2/3 games is vital though. I have doubts we can go on a long enough run to overhaul a large points/GD deficit.

UTB

My take is as follows:
  • We pissed away the first two games as we didn't get our transfer business completed in time (they were winnable games on paper).
  • City, Everton, Spurs - we acquitted ourselves well with committed, if not spectacular performances and were unlucky not to come away with more points.
  • Newcastle - unforgivable performance that has the potential to derail our season and completely destroy morale in the team and fanbase. Showed a poor attitude and complete lack of character in response to going behind after an encouraging start.
  • West Ham - can't really give this one context without knowing what happens in the Fulham game. We were largely poor until the 2nd half when Wham seemed to take their foot off the gas, but we didn't concede another morale bashing number of goals. Might turn out to be a clearing of the head, steadying of the ship type game, or could be a match where the opposition just took it easy on us.
One thing's for sure, we need to see some kind of performance in the next game if we're going to have any kind of hope this season. We need to build some confidence in the squad and belief in the fanbase.

weve played 7, werent ready for game 1 with losing 2 key players in that week 4 against the elite sides who spend billions
we need to get a result against teams like Fulham
but dont write us off yet
look at it as we are unbeaten against bottom 8 teams which is what we aim for

win 11 and draw 3 or 4 of those 16 to stay up , got 1 point from the only 1 so far
points from the top 12 are a bonus

Last edited:
The season's quickly turning "meh" for me. If the premier league is the prize, then I'm not sure I want it.

I've got a season or so of enjoying grounds and days out that I've not been to as often (yet no new grounds) before I'd embrace relegation. Of course, I'm expecting the worse this season anyway.

Football wise, you can keep it. The 0-8 popped any residual joy I get.

weve played 7, werent ready for game 1 with losing 2 key players in that week 4 against the elite sides who spend billions
we need to get a result against teams like Fulham
but dont write us off yet
look at it as we are unbeaten against bottom 8 teams which is what we aim for

win 11 and draw 3 or 4 of those 16 to stay up , got 1 point from the only 1 so far
points from the top 12 are a bonus
Which 11 games do you see us winning when we have already failed to beat Everton, who you've pointed out as positive results? You say we're undefeated against the bottom 8. We've only played Everton out of the bottom 8, so saying we're undefeated because we got one draw against one team is really stretching the spin and clutching at straws. What next, we've only lost twice to the top 6 sides? Undefeated against the bottom 8? You should work for the Tories with that kind of rhetoric and spin. 🤣

You say we need to target the bottom 8 for 11 wins, so that would involve beating some of those bottom 8 teams home and away.

Genuinely, do you honestly see us winning 11 matches this season? The closest we've come to a win was Spurs, who battered us for the entire match until we undeservedly took the lead against the run on play. Even then the goal came from a throw in, it's not like it was a quick break and caught them on the counter attack. If we'd somehow beaten Spurs it would have been undeserved. That's why I don't believe that that result knocked the playeds confidence. It's not like we were winning all game then got sucker punched, having played well all match. We were crap. We stuck 11 men behind the ball, had wave after wave after wave of attacks coming at us, largely because we gave the ball away as soon as we got it. We never deserved to win based on that shambolic showing, and I'm not sure the players knew that too. They spawned the lead and threw it away.

I can't see us going without a win all season, as I can see us spawning an undeserved win like Spurs at some point. In 7 matches we haven't resembled a team capable of scoring goals or winning consistently. We did okay in spells against Everton, but even then we were second best overall as they were the better side in the second half. Against Forest we had 25-30 minutes in the second half where we looked okay. I cannot see us winning 11 games based on what we've seen so far. No offence but that is just deluded red tinted optimism based on nothing more than hope and blind faith.

Everton are seemingly absolute toilet again this year and we didn't really come out of that massively deserving of 3 points. I can't see us winning at the weekend and the next 2 are write offs. 3 of the next 4 include Bournemouth & Wolves at home & Burnley away. If we don't have a win by that point, there's a completely solid argument to believe one will not come this season at all. But either way our fate is going to be sealed by the first week of December. No wins by then and we are already down. If we could somehow get 7 from 9 in those 3 games, there might be the feintest of chances.

Well can base all things on one terrible result but we once took 18 games to win a game in this division but finished mid table ... yes we ONLY drew with everton but that's no doesn't mean we can make up for it by say beating villa there is no rhyme or reason how wolves beat man city. I'm sure they weren't expecting that

Well can base all things on one terrible result but we once took 18 games to win a game in this division but finished mid table ... yes we ONLY drew with everton but that's no doesn't mean we can make up for it by say beating villa there is no rhyme or reason how wolves beat man city. I'm sure they weren't expecting that

Aye but that was when even top teams were playing on a pitch the equivalent of clarksons farm and the players were all out on the piss 3 times a week.

You dont have to look very far back to see what happens to the equivalent of that Bassett team in the modern era. The players are already lacking confidence, you can see it. It’s the same as the covid season, so near yet so far in so many games takes the wind out of the players sails. We’ve seen first hand how quickly you can be cut adrift in this league.

We simply have to win on Saturday, if for no other reason than to raise morale and get them believing again.

We have been crap in the oppositions half in every game, despite the goals we have mustered. We have no sustained pressure in games, it's inevitable those goals would dry up, and they have. 12 now without reply.

I'd love to see the % of possession we've actually had in the oppositions half so far. It's been like watching cup ties in most games.

We look woefully sub-standard, it's pathetic. And when the defence have been as, frankly, shit as they have been it's embarrassing to watch.

Aye but that was when even top teams were playing on a pitch the equivalent of clarksons farm and the players were all out on the piss 3 times a week.

You dont have to look very far back to see what happens to the equivalent of that Bassett team in the modern era. The players are already lacking confidence, you can see it. It’s the same as the covid season, so near yet so far in so many games takes the wind out of the players sails. We’ve seen first hand how quickly you can be cut adrift in this league.

We simply have to win on Saturday, if for no other reason than to raise morale and get them believing again.
But the results being unpredictable has not changed. We have started slowly as we've brought in 7 players who we need to bed in . Once we find a bit of rhythm we will improve on results .. like you say it's not 1991 now but also its not 2021

Just been looking back at the season so far. I'm feeling very low on belief so far, but wanted to review things in the cold light of day, game by game. Hoping to draw some positives and restore that belief a little.

Palace (0-1): Based on the team that was available, I can't be react too harshly to the result. The defensive performance was worrying and we really ought to have lost by more. I wrote this one off at the time and it's not really had any bearing on my thoughts about the rest of the season.

Forest (1-2): Concerning first half in my opinion. Lacking conviction and cohesiveness. Some very positive signs second half and at one point I genuinely thought we'd go on to win it. But for a defensive mistake it would have been a very decent point. In spite of the result, I was pretty optimistic that we were starting to build confidence in how we wanted to play.

City (1-2): We were obviously outplayed for the vast majority of the game. However, our commitment and desire to stay in the match was there for all to see. The players looked like they believed they could a result and that transferred to the stands. When we equalized I again had visions of us winning. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. I went to this match with a non Blade friend (Man Utd supporter) and he was very impressed with us. We both thought that the belief this game created would see us kick on and we'd start to get some positive results.

Lincoln (0-0 lost on pens): Was unable to go, so reluctant to comment in any great detail. From what I've seen/read, we were pretty dreadful and lack any real quality or fight. This was very disappointing as it should have been used a springboard in terms of goals/confidence.

Everton (2-2): Thought we were decent, although our defensive frailties meant I never felt confident of winning, as we kept conceding chances to a very average Everton team. In the end a draw was probably just about fair. I was impressed with Archer and McBurnie as a partnership and we'd appeared to have found a bit of rhythm to our attacking play. Left the ground feeling like a win wasn't too far away.

Spurs (1-2): Didn't get lucky with tickets, so watched from home. Spurs outplayed us generally without creating much. We managed the vast majority of the game really effectively and it was an away performance to be proud of, especially with them being in such good form. Obviously totally gutted to lose it. However it was a performance full of heart and promise. My optimism was still high at that point.

Newcastle (0-8): I was very impressed with the first 20 mins or so. Went toe-to-toe with an excellent team and caused them more than a few headaches. Obviously the (controversial) goals knocked the stuffing out of us. That being said, our second half performance/attitude was woeful. Players and the manager have to hold their hands up. The half time change was disastrous from PH but the players simply didn't compete. Can't recall seeing our first XI down tools in that manner before. Found this one hard to understand and feared that the effect on the players would be hard to recover from.

West Ham (0-2): My first away game this season. Aside from the match itself, I had a brilliant weekend in London. I note most peoples reaction to the performance was that we showed "heart" etc etc. I genuinely expected the players to be angry and put in a blood and thunder performance. Other than a few decent spells I thought we were ponderous and lacked any sort of belief when it came to our play in the final third. It was not the performance I expected, even though it was it better than the previous one. Had West Ham been any good, I think we've had lost heavily again. Also; the London Stadium is a soulless, joy sucking place to watch football in. I pray we never move to such a venue.

Overall: The feeling I have at the moment is very similar to the relegation season under Wilder. Based on what I've seen so far we appear to be out of our depth. There's been brief spells of play where we seem to click, but the lack of consistency in this regard is stark and, unless this is addressed, we face a depressing season with early relegation likely. Being a natural optimist, I still feel like we can turn it around and there is certainly plenty of time to do so. A win within the next 2/3 games is vital though. I have doubts we can go on a long enough run to overhaul a large points/GD deficit.

UTB

Cant really disagree with that assesment with that on the games

I struggle to see how this manager can turn it around esepcially when you see how Luton are getting on that is how we played , we dont have any intensity under this manager

The " Woe is me i dont like the premier league " line that a lot of our fans are are trotting out is pathetic

There opinions would change if we had a manager who could shove a rocket up them and one who could formulate a cohesive plan as this manager can't

Burnley and luton have looked decent and they will no doubt be atleast in a relegation battle

Us however if it carries on we will be aiming for derbys points record , this side is worse than the one wilder had second season by a mile IMO

We're struggling, but there's no reason we can't pull things together a bit and not finish as the 4th worst team in the league. New players signed late etc.

We've not been left stranded by loads of points.

Keep the faith. COYB.

I expected us to go down from the moment it was clear we were going up. This owner doesn’t have the resources to keep us in the top flight.

I don’t think we did our transfer business much differently than any other team, except that we were starting from a much lower base. Man Utd’s star signing (who they spent weeks and weeks chasing—it’s not just us that takes ages to make a signing) wasn’t ready to start the season, either, but they can play Rashford or Martial in his place. Our big midfield signing wasn’t ready immediately and we had to play Bash in his place.

The big disappointment for me has been the defence. I expect us to struggle to score goals because that’s the hardest part for promoted teams. But I expect us to be solid and difficult to break down. We haven’t been. If we can sort the defence we might have a season like the relegation under Wilder—20+ points. It will be depressing but something we can bounce back from.

We need a richer owner to have any chance in the top flight. The gap is even bigger than last time we were in the division. But we could quite easily get an owner with more money who does worse than our current owner has. Tough one.

We're struggling, but there's no reason we can't pull things together a bit and not finish as the 4th worst team in the league. New players signed late etc.

We've not been left stranded by loads of points.

Keep the faith. COYB.

Tell me what you have seen in the first 8 games this season that even remoteley show any chance we will stay up

Thats a proper negative opinion but its been real

Tell me what you have seen in the first 8 games this season that even remoteley show any chance we will stay up

Thats a proper negative opinion but its been real
Almost beat Spurs, almost got a point against Man City. Did well against Forest and only lost because of enforced subs, might well have gone on to win otherwise. Could/should have beaten Everton.

Weren't too bad in first 20/25mins against Newcastle and West Ham.

How's that?

Which 11 games do you see us winning when we have already failed to beat Everton, who you've pointed out as positive results? You say we're undefeated against the bottom 8. We've only played Everton out of the bottom 8, so saying we're undefeated because we got one draw against one team is really stretching the spin and clutching at straws. What next, we've only lost twice to the top 6 sides? Undefeated against the bottom 8? You should work for the Tories with that kind of rhetoric and spin. 🤣

You say we need to target the bottom 8 for 11 wins, so that would involve beating some of those bottom 8 teams home and away.

Genuinely, do you honestly see us winning 11 matches this season? The closest we've come to a win was Spurs, who battered us for the entire match until we undeservedly took the lead against the run on play. Even then the goal came from a throw in, it's not like it was a quick break and caught them on the counter attack. If we'd somehow beaten Spurs it would have been undeserved. That's why I don't believe that that result knocked the playeds confidence. It's not like we were winning all game then got sucker punched, having played well all match. We were crap. We stuck 11 men behind the ball, had wave after wave after wave of attacks coming at us, largely because we gave the ball away as soon as we got it. We never deserved to win based on that shambolic showing, and I'm not sure the players knew that too. They spawned the lead and threw it away.

I can't see us going without a win all season, as I can see us spawning an undeserved win like Spurs at some point. In 7 matches we haven't resembled a team capable of scoring goals or winning consistently. We did okay in spells against Everton, but even then we were second best overall as they were the better side in the second half. Against Forest we had 25-30 minutes in the second half where we looked okay. I cannot see us winning 11 games based on what we've seen so far. No offence but that is just deluded red tinted optimism based on nothing more than hope and blind faith.
At last somebody to tell it like is,you simply cannot start a season in this division with players cobbed together and expect anything other than what we're getting.Maybe not all Heckys fault but it is what it is.

Almost beat Spurs, almost got a point against Man City. Did well against Forest and only lost because of enforced subs, might well have gone on to win otherwise. Could/should have beaten Everton.

How's that?
You get nowt for almost,how do you rate the other 60/65 minutes?

How's that?

That's stretching it a bit. We almost got a point against Man City in terms of the timing of their winner. We could also have lost it 6-0 if they'd finished properly and not made a defensive mistake. Same for the Spurs game. We've scored 5 goals so far, of which three (Hamer, Archer, Archer/og) have been belters that we wouldn't normally rely on. We've not had any sustained pressure in any game so far - the type that grinds out an inevitable goal.

Our problem is simply that we don't have a unique characteristic that teams will worry about. Under Bassett, we had the physical stuff that a lot of sides just couldn't match. Under Wilder, we had the bravery to commit talented defenders forward to outnumber opponents, trusting that we wouldn't lose the ball. This season (and in Wilder's second season), we play a similar game to most other teams but just do it more slowly and with less conviction. That is not a recipe for success, so I just don't see lots of wins around the corner, unfortunately.

Need a win at fulham otherwise for me anyway it's game over already this season. I were optimistic until newcastle.

Fans can go on about 'losing our 2 best players' before the start of the season.

Let's be realistic here - Our preparation wasn't exactly great either IMO. Friendlies against Chesterfield, Derby etc.

Rotating a mixture of kids and some first team players, but not actually trying to find our first 11 to gel! The frustrating thing for me was, playing players in different halves, and not trying to find an understanding of the first 11 to play WITH each other.

Yes we've lost 2 players etc and had a few new signings, but if we had a core backbone, it would have helped the integration of the new players surely?

That's stretching it a bit. We almost got a point against Man City in terms of the timing of their winner. We could also have lost it 6-0 if they'd finished properly and not made a defensive mistake. Same for the Spurs game. We've scored 5 goals so far, of which three (Hamer, Archer, Archer/og) have been belters that we wouldn't normally rely on. We've not had any sustained pressure in any game so far - the type that grinds out an inevitable goal.

Our problem is simply that we don't have a unique characteristic that teams will worry about. Under Bassett, we had the physical stuff that a lot of sides just couldn't match. Under Wilder, we had the bravery to commit talented defenders forward to outnumber opponents, trusting that we wouldn't lose the ball. This season (and in Wilder's second season), we play a similar game to most other teams but just do it more slowly and with less conviction. That is not a recipe for success, so I just don't see lots of wins around the corner, unfortunately.
What you say is absolutely correct - we basically don't have the ammo to do better- no change of manager will change this - it's impossible.

Hence stay with Hecky- already proven at Champ level - and this team could get us back in 25- and we strengthen again.

The nonsense talked about changing the manager is just that, far too easy to change and get worse - 100% is stability and get Hecky build for next season- lets face it what we are getting after selling Ndiaye is exactly what we expected? Everything rested on him.

The pressure is mounting on Hecky but I think hes got enough about him not to wilt- the Prince should give a free permit til 10 into next campaign.

We have been crap in the oppositions half in every game, despite the goals we have mustered. We have no sustained pressure in games, it's inevitable those goals would dry up, and they have. 12 now without reply.

I'd love to see the % of possession we've actually had in the oppositions half so far. It's been like watching cup ties in most games.

We look woefully sub-standard, it's pathetic. And when the defence have been as, frankly, shit as they have been it's embarrassing to watch.
The McBurnie chance at West Ham sums it up wanted too much time defender puts it out for a corner and we don't even get that .. goal kick just about sums us up .. UTB

Very fair assessment and good post. I could mirror your thoughts completely. I've been lucky (unlucky?) enough to have watched every single minute of every game live and aside from the Palace game, and 70 mins against Newcastle, we've held ourselves well - albeit battled, defended and been resolute. For the most part against Forest we looked like the only winner.

UTB
Fully agree that the changes we made at HT against Newcastle played until their hands.

Genuine Q - which of their goals were controversial? We might not like the decisions but none of them were wrong.

Using 1990 to compare our start is pretty poor the game 33 years ago was not anywhere near this level

How's that?

We got a goal from a thrown in VS spurs and got roundly beat

City would have on 4-1 if haaland didn’t miss 5 sitters

Everton and Forest a draw was probably fair but looking at the stats for them they would think should have won both games

Newcastle the first 15 minutes was probably the best we have played , but we lost 8-0 🤣

I know It may seem as a Debby downer opinion but I just don’t see how people have blind faith in the manager

We are playing like we’re a league one team in the 3rd round of the cup every week

For me he has to go

Back
Top Bottom