I'm not sure it's enough...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CPB

Reaction score
Pleased Slav has a few more options and some new blood to freshen things a bit. Hopefully it will have a positive effect on the squad as a whole and we will see existing players perform better too.

I'm not sure how the midfield will line up come Peterborough. You'd think two of the three midfielders would make way but who knows.

As i said I am pleased, it's better than no signings, but is it enough and we did we leave it till the final days?
SJ said he wanted 4-5 and that was without losing Ramsdale. So it's 5-6 he wanted and we got 4.

All loans suggest that there is a reluctance to spend too. Yeah you have to spend a fee but less than signing permanents.

But in all happy to see some through the door and I hope they make some difference.
It doesn't hide that we have still been very slow and seemingly planned for this window pretty poorly leaving the manager to question what's going on 2months in isn't exactly good.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Getting a new (presumably decent) goalkeeper in has reduced our odds of relegation by 15 percent since Verrips and Wes would have just leaked goals. Gibbs-White is a bit of a coup, he's a premier league quality player imo. BUT, he's also not the sort of player who is going to single handedly win matches and turn things around.

We really needed a goalscorer.

I think we have the best central midfield in the league now. Defensively we have quality too. We needed the wide players that fell through.

Hope is we can be in within reach of playoffs for January.

For me it’s now down to Slav to get more out of what we already have. Two fast wingers would in my opinion given him so many more options. I’ve gone back and watched McB and Brewster’s goals. They can score IF we play to their strengths and PROVIDE SERVICE.

Tinkering with 3 at the back or 3 in midfield is too feckin technical for me. I would rather Chuck attack after attack and risk conceding a few than play walking football and triangles that would bore Pythagorus out on the chalk line. It’s an entertainment results based game so get on with it Slav.

On the signings happy with Olsen cause Wilders choice of keepers et al goes further to prove he is a lower league manager long term (but thank him for 9th int PL, that was proved to be short termism). MGW could be a game changer for me, exciting but if as some suggest he might be injury prone it could negate any impact

Hourihane was a must have player to beef up the midfield and have someone on dead balls that can kick it over the first mans head. Epic failures at set pieces by Fleck and Norwood have cost us points statically and practically.

As for Davis he has to try and plug the chasm in defence left by JOC. It’s not just his defending we miss it’s leadership. Not seen a leader in Bash, Egan, Robinson or Davis yet which is worrying. Maybe the new keeper might have some effect but one stand out leader in the defence for me might be a bit to young to risk yet. Young Lopata in the two cup outings has it IMO, yelling instruction at seasoned veterans like Bash and seems capable in set pieces both in defence and for set pieces at the other end. Every CB should be on the score sheet during a season.

We will probably also sign Goudioura to add some steel to the midfield cause it’s a non existent back passing machine at present. We need to get that bridge built between defence and attack with them slipping balls through to McB and Brewster where they are deadly on their day plus some speculative INSTANT crossing.

Bogle could be key in this area cause Baldock can’t cross, I’d SY Osbourne as well puts more crosses in than most but apart from his never ending motor he doesn’t create much.

Time will tell, can’t wait for the mighty Peterborough rolling into town and at £2m I hope we are not ripped a new one by Dembele!

Didn't get everyone we wanted, but how often does that happen for anybody anyway, and the last time everybody was happy with a window the glass fell out.
From what I've heard about our managers slow build up to a strong finish I think the big window will be Christmas when hopefully he will have a clearer picture of what's needed for the push...... 🤞

Personally I am hoping the Midfield additions will be enough and Slav is going to have to go back to playing 3 at the back, stick Gibbs-White in the Duffy role, turn them round and let them go. The issue for me isn't the formation, it's application and desire. Hopefully now we have competition for places in midfield we can turn up the intensity

Time will tell,but IMO,if everything goes well,we could have a Swansea season,or it could be a Nottingham Forest season.
The top 3 are already decided for me,it just remains to see who has to do it through the play offs,all 3 have had good or very good summer's,shown foresight,imagination and skill in recruitment,rolled the dice and realised that this season may be their best shot for a while.
Other teams appear also to have done good business and it will be interesting to see how their signings pan out,but I think by next spring,a glut of teams a good distance behind the top 3 will not quite know if they are going for the play offs or fighting to stay up,its going to be quite a mix,but for sure,those that dont show heart,fight and the battle hardness needed to tie in with the player or two they have that has the skill that can take them forward are going to find themselves in the most trouble,team spirit and togetherness this season will make a by difference.

For me it’s now down to Slav to get more out of what we already have. Two fast wingers would in my opinion given him so many more options. I’ve gone back and watched McB and Brewster’s goals. They can score IF we play to their strengths and PROVIDE SERVICE.

Tinkering with 3 at the back or 3 in midfield is too feckin technical for me. I would rather Chuck attack after attack and risk conceding a few than play walking football and triangles that would bore Pythagorus out on the chalk line. It’s an entertainment results based game so get on with it Slav.

On the signings happy with Olsen cause Wilders choice of keepers et al goes further to prove he is a lower league manager long term (but thank him for 9th int PL, that was proved to be short termism). MGW could be a game changer for me, exciting but if as some suggest he might be injury prone it could negate any impact

Hourihane was a must have player to beef up the midfield and have someone on dead balls that can kick it over the first mans head. Epic failures at set pieces by Fleck and Norwood have cost us points statically and practically.

As for Davis he has to try and plug the chasm in defence left by JOC. It’s not just his defending we miss it’s leadership. Not seen a leader in Bash, Egan, Robinson or Davis yet which is worrying. Maybe the new keeper might have some effect but one stand out leader in the defence for me might be a bit to young to risk yet. Young Lopata in the two cup outings has it IMO, yelling instruction at seasoned veterans like Bash and seems capable in set pieces both in defence and for set pieces at the other end. Every CB should be on the score sheet during a season.

We will probably also sign Goudioura to add some steel to the midfield cause it’s a non existent back passing machine at present. We need to get that bridge built between defence and attack with them slipping balls through to McB and Brewster where they are deadly on their day plus some speculative INSTANT crossing.

Bogle could be key in this area cause Baldock can’t cross, I’d SY Osbourne as well puts more crosses in than most but apart from his never ending motor he doesn’t create much.

Time will tell, can’t wait for the mighty Peterborough rolling into town and at £2m I hope we are not ripped a new one by Dembele!

Pah! Walking football triangles are the bane of my life. The times I get penalised for breaking into a canter. Currently in training to perfect the 'runalk.'

Positives are:

1) we made 4 good signings that will have an immediate impact on the first team.

2) Loans are possibly more sensible given the current situation.

Negatives:

1) I don’t think we addressed all of the problem areas; LB or the two wide md/attacking options

2) We left it far too late to conduct our business and this only after SJ called them out.

it’s hard to sum up the feeling that I have and possibly SJ too. It’s like not quite getting the model fo car you want and settling for a more basic version. This will be ok for now but cracks will start to appear.

Is it enough?

The key for me always resolves around how the centre midfield works - or doesn't work.

If we are content to continue to play pretty meaningless triangles in and around centre mid then we will still have a problem. We simply have to start breaking the lines of teams who sit in.

Will be interested to see how SJ sets us up first game v Peterborough - hopefully the style formation and crucially for me, the 2 or 3 centre mid players.

UTB

We may or may not sign a free agent or two but I'm not certain we will. I don't want us to sign someone just for the sake of it. Obviously we tried to get more in but that didn't work out, we'll have to see where we are in December which will then dictate what we do when the January windows opens.

My concern is if a couple of our loans pick up knocks then we're back to where we were before signing them.

Be interesting to see wether Slav goes 3-5-2 in the next game and if not how he will adapt to play wide attacking players.

Christ on a bike you lot are hard to please. This time two days ago there was no hope of getting anyone in and we’re struggling through the season.

New blood in to kick the current squad up the arse is nothing but a huge positive for me. There’s now a number of players who need to up their game which benefits us all in the long run.

As for loans, so what? They’re on board to work alongside the current big earners, unless we want them just warming the bench and taking a fee.

I woke up this morning feeling positive about us for the first time in a long time. Get behind what we’ve got instead of crying over what we’ve missed out on. SJ knows what he’s doing, we as fans have no idea of the workings behind the scenes and short / long term plan.

Feels a bit like one of those days at work when your hearts not in it, you do enough to look productive but internally you know its not really enough. Strangely if Wilder was still here and we were looking to refresh his approach I think I'd be reasonably happy. It now feels like we've come up short for a wholesale change and are in limbo. Guess time will tell.

Erm, wasn't Wilder's 'choice of keeper' Dean Henderson? I think he did ok for us. I know it's the 'in-thing' to slag off everything Wilder ever did for us at the minute but calling him 'a lower league manager' after what he achieved with us is pretty harsh!

Erm, wasn't Wilder's 'choice of keeper' Dean Henderson? I think he did ok for us. I know it's the 'in-thing' to slag off everything Wilder ever did for us at the minute but calling him 'a lower league manager' after what he achieved with us is pretty harsh!

Tbf I'd only trust him with a lower league transfer budget but that's just me and a discussion for another day.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Getting a new (presumably decent) goalkeeper in has reduced our odds of relegation by 15 percent since Verrips and Wes would have just leaked goals. Gibbs-White is a bit of a coup, he's a premier league quality player imo. BUT, he's also not the sort of player who is going to single handedly win matches and turn things around.

We really needed a goalscorer.
We have goalscorers if they are given the right service and opportunities

Im not jumping on the Wilder bandwagon. I’m one of the ones that never changed my tune WB and it’s caused many a heated debate with my sons and some stick on here. Once he got us into the PL I foresaw a Warnockesk situation if he had money to spend. Yes I was confounded (and revelled in his success) by our 9th slot in year one but then the spending spree started and it bought us a disjointed team of players that we either paid over the odds for or we took as second best for whatever reason. Henderson was the exception, I won’t list the failures including Wes and Veripps.

I’ll be ever grateful for the ride from 1st to the PL as at my age I never thought we would get there again but the predicable happened. He will always be a great 1st to Championship manager working on a budget but he will IMO never be a Sean Dyche or Graham Potter type of manager.

I think we've done the minimum with 4 in. All we can hope is it gives the rest of the squad a kick up the arse. Top 3 places nowhere near sealed, the squad now is and should be capable of pulling points back on any team. Big January coming up but certain we can still get a top spot.

We have goalscorers if they are given the right service and opportunities
Christ!!!... the 50m duo are awful and have looked even worse in the the league I was told they would have a birthday in!
Still relying on Sir William to look like we have a goal threat.

Back
Top Bottom