I'd bizarrely allowed myself to forget something....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score
Upon hearing Wilder was returning, I have to admit that I wasn't exactly ecstatic at the prospect. I have always had nothing but admiration for the way that he came into the club back in 2016, stabilised it and the pushed it on to some of the better years in recent history.

But anyway let me move away from the circumstances surpunding Wilders previous stint as manager... It's been touched upon a million times already...

But one thing came flooding back to me last night that I had strangely allowed myself to forget and for me, it is probably the side of Wilder that is his real strength.

I watched the game on TV, with with being over the pennines and in work this morning at 6am..... And i'm actually glad I did, as it gave me a chance to close up see Wilder back in the hotseat.

From the off on... When they interviewed him and Billy before the game. There was a moment when the two of the were discussing him homecoming etc and the teo of them appeared massively emotional. They appeared like they were going to well up and it was evident how much passion they both has for the club.... Was a touching moment.

But then for 90 minutes... the sheer passion, energy and drive. It is the above passion that really makes Wilder stand out over anyone else. He literally takes himself put on the pitch with the players and is constantly with them 100%.

He doesn't just stand there effing and jeffing. He is trying to get his own head on the end of that cross. He is constantly shouting positional orders and praise whete due.

I think that his own club is the only place really that he cant have this powerfully strong connection. One in which he is in the stands, in the dugout and on the pitchh, all at the same time.

But I definitely had a reminder of where Wilder's strengths are.... I do to an extent believe that Knilly plays a huge part it tactical aspects..... But Wilder is leading his army isn't he.... His team.... and as much as I respect hecky and his achievements, I think the qualities outline above are unrivaled and couldnt be found in any other.

It was quite a contrast between Wilder and Hecky, whilst Hecky seemed to just stand within his area and occasionally point a finger or two,, Wilder was much more animated and as you say seemed to want to get involved in the actual game.

Substitutions! That's the difference. Being high agency rather than passive. Trying to make something happen rather than wait till it's already happened....

We have a manager who stands up and shouts during the games, hooray. That'll be enough for some people 🙄

I was sceptical about wilder coming back but, last night was a big improvement in attitude and application by all accounts. I just wish the fallacy that a manager who shouts his head off during the game must automatically care more than one who doesn't. How much difference is he realistically going to make shouting things from the sidelines?

We have a manager who stands up and shouts during the games, hooray. That'll be enough for some people 🙄

I was sceptical about wilder coming back but, last night was a big improvement in attitude and application by all accounts. I just wish the fallacy that a manager who shouts his head off during the game must automatically care more than one who doesn't. How much difference is he realistically going to make shouting things from the sidelines?
So…..you didn’t watch the game then?

It wasn’t just standing up and shouting, it was coaching constantly, in game management that we have been missing badly. He was dragging players back into position constantly, pushing and pulling them here and there and it showed, there was no massive gaps all over the pitch where the opposition were attacking at will and taking advantage off like previously. He was constantly organising the team throughout the game and it was brilliant, far better than stood there with arms folded looking baffled which we had become accustomed too.

Back
Top Bottom