I would accept a 21st place finish

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
Unpopular opinion trigger warning:

As I see it, there is a strange paradox. On the one hand I think we're in big trouble but on the other hand I'm not worried.

Why?

So on the first point the squad, and so many of the players, are a complete mess. I won't go into detail here, because that's been discussed at great length.

On the second point I am more reassured because:

1. We have a manager with an excellent track record.
2. Many of these players are out of contract next season, and others who are not will hopefully be shifted on. I would have no problem letting Brewster leaving for free if it frees up a wage and squad space and we use that to improve slightly elsewhere. We have to be ruthless, and I think after seeing how things have gone Slav will be.
3. There are some players, who with other players around them, could provide the basis for a good team. Like Bogle, Egan, MGW (if we can keep him) , Ndiaye

The phrase 'season of transition' is absolutely detested by football fans but I don't think there is much choice or realistic alternative.

As long as we are making progress, slowly but surely, and keep out of a relegation fight, I have no qualms for the time being. Let's see where we are this time next year if that is the case before the manager's position (and the board) should come into question.

UTB

We aren’t going up unless we have a miraculous turnaround, so avoiding relegation and getting the team playing Slav’s way is probably a realistic ambition.

United have been crap no doubt but this league is so poor that with a string of decent results and some good signings in January then the lads could still be in the mix, which is mad. I think a mid-table finish is on the cards unless some fresh faces come in and some of the deadwood is cut out. I'd have a rosier outlook if Brewster, McBurnie, Berge, Mousset etc hadn't cost so much and could be sold without much palaver.

Bump this thread at the end of the season when we have been promoted.
Hope you're right mate, and if you are I'll be the first to get you a pint in down Wembley.

I'll not bother saving up just yet though based on current performances

Agree with the gist of this, though I still think a higher mid-table finish should be our ambition. We desperately need a bit of momentum to take into the new season.

Think it's important we stick with Slav and give him the time he needs to turn this lot around. There's flashes of things I really like but the inconsistencies need longer to iron out.

Only way blades will go up at the moment is on friday night.

Joking apart, didn't go last night watched it on Now tv bonus streams, but had rad Sheff commo on, very frustrating at the moment, we have good movement but not enough crosses going in, giving the ball away too easily at times, halfway through 1st half Forest just put 9 men behind the ball soon as we gained possession, very difficult to break down.
The move for our goal was very well worked, defence not concentrating enough though for theirs (and others), Olsen esp needs to be more authoritive in the box and with the defence, does seem like no one is leading from the back.
UTB

We will go up via the play offs.
My prediction this season was 7th but I'm still not ruling out the play offs with 30 games left.

I'd be far more concerned if we weren't dominating large spells of possession every week and often rueing throwing games away.

Improvements are clearly needed but it's nowhere near as bad as too many are making out imho.

The season we finished 8th under Blackwell, at no point did I think we'd reach the play offs, simply because we didn't look like winning anywhere near enough games.

Despite what many seem to consider an horrendous start, we're only 5 points off the top 6 having been the better side in many games and either not taken our chances or been punished for a defensive mistake.

Those are far easier rectified or improved than being second best most weeks.

We're not far off where we should be in all honesty. I'll happily admit that the bulk of this squad is largely under performing, and without the additions of MGW and Ndiaye, we'd be much closer to the wrong end of the table, but even without them, the squad on paper is miles better than at least half of the division. If you look at last nights game in isolation, I think we'd all have taken a point before kick off given Forest's form at the minute - although we really should've had all three.

It's been said time and time again, we need a good clear out in the summer and a FULL pre-season to allow SJ to bring his own players in and get them playing his game. Sadly though, I fear that without the backing from the board on what he was promised, he may well end up leaving on his own accord. He's frustrated. You can tell in the way he speaks.

Are we in for a relegation battle? Absolutely not. Are we going to fade into obscurity and become an 'also-ran' irrelevance to the Championship? More than likely.

The cognoscenti on shoutbox being just one example, not many tipped an early PL return
You’re joking. The consensus on here, on the pods, and in the media was that we’d be top 6 and many said top 2.

(I said 8th and I’m sticking with it)

I went last night - fully expecting an hammering.

First half we completely controlled - The City Ground can be a frightening place to play if the natives get going- but the were mainly subdued because they were being outplayed.

Second half started similar and we got the goal- as per didn't hold onto the lead long- Forest scored - the place got rocking and we could quite easily have lost because they were encouraged.

But for all the doom and gloom merchants- that was a pretty dominant display.

A couple of changes in January could easily see this team in the play offs- and some of Norwoods passing last night was off the scale, midfield is not great but its deffo not Ollies fault.

our home form is the real concern just now that would have been a good point last night if we had beaten blackpool all the home games we have lost we should really have won if we had we would be up in the top 6

Midtable mediocrity.
Bit like the pigs over the last 20 years. I wouldn't be happy with a 21st place finish though, I'd be quite embarrassed by that really.

10th to 12th my prediction.

We will go up via the play offs.
Any team that can put a run together has a chance of that, so why not us? I’m disappointed to see that where there was a brief few games with a settled side, we are now back to making lots of changes (some enforced I know) as if Slav does not know what his best side is, if that continues we won’t put any sort of a run together and ‘mid-table consolidation’ will be our lot for this season.

I went last night - fully expecting an hammering.

First half we completely controlled - The City Ground can be a frightening place to play if the natives get going- but the were mainly subdued because they were being outplayed.

Second half started similar and we got the goal- as per didn't hold onto the lead long- Forest scored - the place got rocking and we could quite easily have lost because they were encouraged.

But for all the doom and gloom merchants- that was a pretty dominant display.

A couple of changes in January could easily see this team in the play offs- and some of Norwoods passing last night was off the scale, midfield is not great but its deffo not Ollies fault.
We were in control, to a degree, because Forest just let us have it and got behind the ball. We had more possession, because they were happy for us to have it. We didn't have more shots or corners. There's no point 'dominating' a game if we don't test their keeper. I don't think it's domination if we have are allowed to have control.

As for the original question. I'd be happy with mid-table if I can see progress. Both on and off the pitch.

My mission statement pre season was to avoid back to back relegations whilst we rebuilt. Other than the solid contribution by Ndiaye and MGW I'm not seeing much of that but it has to happen if we are to progress.

I hate to agree with some of the more despondent views on this thread, but this notion of 'team-building'......can anyone realistically show me where, apart from the inclusion of a talented youth player, a loan from Wolves, a 'keeper who vacillates between very good to downright peculiar decision making and so on etc, etc. I fail to see a plan emerging. I've called for patience, but unless there's a significant spend by our Board of Directors, which realistically means eyes right and hope the Prince can conjure up a decent amount to invest in order that Slav can bring in the players he's identified as being the ones to push for promotion next season.

All very hopeful I know, but our Board serves very little purpose than to vote on club issues and hope the Prince can find enough loose change or that we fall lucky in the loan market.

We were in control, to a degree, because Forest just let us have it and got behind the ball. We had more possession, because they were happy for us to have it. We didn't have more shots or corners. There's no point 'dominating' a game if we don't test their keeper. I don't think it's domination if we have are allowed to have control.

As for the original question. I'd be happy with mid-table if I can see progress. Both on and off the pitch.
Exactly, they just sat back and invited us on then tried to hit us on the break.
Interesting that a team actually watches the opposition and comes up with a game plan, perhaps SJ should try it.

We are a team in transition. It's a sorry thing to say but a change of scenery is badly needed for some of our long time pros.

As dreadful as it is to say I would take offers for any of our first team players in January (Ndiaye apart.)

Apart from Ndiaye is there a single player that we could say is not replaceable at this point in time?

Keep:-
Ndiaye
Bogle (young and still can improve)

?
Moose - prove fitness to get new deal.

Sell if offered any
Fleck
Egan
Brewster
OMB
Burke
Verrips
Freeman
MGD
Osborne
Baldock
Stevens

Can anyone honestly say that selling some of the above would make us worse? Could we perform worse by involving some of the youngsters in the matchday squad?

Unless things turn around quickly then the board will need to reassess there aims for this season and next.

Exactly, they just sat back and invited us on then tried to hit us on the break.
Interesting that a team actually watches the opposition and comes up with a game plan, perhaps SJ should try it.
We did it well against Barnsley until we didn't. Move the ball quickly, first time passes and use width.

Back
Top Bottom