Hiring a proven manager / not the lowest cost gamble

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
I have just looked at the list of our managers in my lifetime.
They nearly all look like we hired the lowest cost / out of work / stepping up a level gamble.
Maybe Neil Warnock was the exception?

Is this the first time we actually recruit a proven manager, pay the going rate to someone (eg Jokanovic) with experience of success in the championship, and give him the funds needed?
I really hope so.

I have just looked at the list of our managers in my lifetime.
They nearly all look like we hired the lowest cost / out of work / stepping up a level gamble.
Maybe Neil Warnock was the exception?

Is this the first time we actually recruit a proven manager, pay the going rate to someone (eg Jokanovic) with experience of success in the championship, and give him the funds needed?
I really hope so.
Bryan Robson, Speed, Clough, Adkins, Porterfield, Bassett?.....cheap options ?

I was really saying they were not in demand, we did not have to compete for them on salary with another club
I do agree your list will not have been cheap.

Bryan Robson was out of work after West Brom, Speed had not managed before, Clough had done badly at Derby, Adkins was out of work after having done badly at Reading

Bassett I had forgot, I was excited about his appointment!
I am hoping we pay the money for someone like Jokanovic, and not lose out like we have for players

I was really saying they were not in demand, we did not have to compete for them on salary with another club
I do agree your list will not have been cheap.

Bryan Robson was out of work after West Brom, Speed had not managed before, Clough had done badly at Derby, Adkins was out of work after having done badly at Reading

Bassett I had forgot, I was excited about his appointment!
I am hoping we pay the money for someone like Jokanovic, and not lose out like we have for players
Robson wasn't cheap though. Was left field mind you.
Adkins at the time was also not cheap option his stock was high for a L1 club.
Clough did ok at derby really considering situation he was in really. They could easily have been relegated like we were if not for him.

Wilders stock was on the rise when we got him. But he wasn't the cheap option neither expensive.

I just want the right one. On paper if it's not gonna be wilder next season now. Slav is a good shout.

Bryan Robson, Speed, Clough, Adkins, Porterfield, Bassett?.....cheap options ?

All out of managerial work I think apart from Porterfield
Speed already under contract as a player
Robson obviously is the only stand out case where money was spent

Back
Top Bottom