Hindsight Signings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
As many are agreeing one of the biggest reasons we are in this predicament (myself included) is due to this summer's transfer strategy, I thought it would be interesting to see 'what we could have done' now we are all sat here in hindsight.

I've estimated our outgoings to be circa £63m this Summer (within roundings as they're all undisclosed) and I've included the retained players as well:
Ramsdale - £18m
Bogle - £8m
Lowe - £5m
Burke - £7m
Brewster - £23m
Ampadu - £2m loan fee (complete guess!)
Foderingham - £0
Jagielka -£0
Rodwell - £0

I've listed my hindsight signings, given the performances of the above and the obvious areas of weakness in our team:

Sign again
Bogle £8m
Burke £7m

Sign that we were linked with
Ivan Toney £10m
John Swift £7m
Buendia £20m

Signing suggestions for the other gaps
GK £10m (maybe Raya from Brentford, another Championship Pro, or even the Plymouth rookie)
LCB £5m loan fee - A young, mobile, left footed center half to come in and gain 6 months experience in a novel way of playing.

I'm sure there will be disagreements with valuations and likelihood of capturing at the stated price, but I don't think its a million miles away and that team I feel would be on more than 11 points.

Burke was about five million less than that wasn't he ?

I liked wilder's strategy of wanting young hungry players with plenty of potential, but we needed certain positions now with PL experience.

Not mentioned younger players such as Buendia, C.Wilson, Brooks, King, Cantwell etc because they were out of our budget so gone for an older experienced list.

I know they got relegated and are in their late 20s/30s but I wouldn't have minded a few of these to add to a championship/barely PL squad. But then again comes to wages?

GK
Ben Foster
Tim Krul

DF
Craig Cathcart
Craig Dawson
Christian Kabasele
Steve Cook

MF
Etienne Capoue
Phillip Billing
Lewis Cook

ST
Troy Deeney
Teemu Pukki
Junior Stanislas

Bogle/Lowe fee hugely inflated too

I thought the combined fee was about £5m basic before add ons and performances related clauses kicked in which could take it higher? Any truth to that?

We made money on the Burke/Robinson deal and if we paid Derby £5m for Lowe Wilder doesn't need sacking, he needs shooting.

Much better use of the loan market was required imo. Having decided our permanent signings would be ‘young with room to improve’ bringing in a couple of reliable performers on loan with premier league experience was essential, even if it meant we had to stump up more than we would have liked in wages and fees. I’m sure ampadu will turn out to be a very good player but I’m not convinced that a 19 year old with no league starts was what we needed in the circumstances and the fact it took him half a season to find his feet cost us.

Leaving a domestic loan berth free and not utilising the overseas market at all seemed a odd at the time, without the benefit of hindsight and has left us painfully low on numbers and quality.

As you say the issue is bogle and Burke are probably the only ones we would resign for sure.

ramsdale has done ok recently but there are plenty of options who we could have done at least as well at the fraction of the cost. Brewster hasn’t contributed anything at all yet.

And even worse we basically left ourselves with no defensive cover of the required quality and the same in midfield where there was also zero depth.

the squad building has been really poor

Back
Top Bottom