Highlights (aka Do We Have a Gloves Sponsor?)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

None of them fuckers would be wearing gloves if I were manager.

What a set of pathetic wimps.

It's bad enough being completely dreadful at football, but at least avoid looking an utter twat whilst your at it.

The penalty decision is even worse than I thought.

That ref was utter shite, we may have our own issues as a squad but it doesn't help with some of these referees. That said its not like the standard of the refs get any better in the Championship.

Great goal from Baxter, shocking decision re: Che...hopefully evens out over the season etc etc ...

• Banned
Gloves?? Set of wusses and, judging by these highlights, Hammond is the worst culprit. He gets outmuscled time & again and should've stopped the cross for their goal coming in. Mind you, who was marking Bradshaw????? I could go on all night grumble grumble grumble...

As I kid I played for a non-league club who ran their junior teams like professional outfits. We were made to wear tights/use deep heat so we didn't get hamstring injuries. We were not allowed to wear gloves because there was absolutely no benefit (unless you're a keeper). If you're wearing gloves, you're not working hard enough. That was the opinion of the ex-pro who ran the team.

I'm going to use this as a basis for my thoughts on the game:

Long - generally played very well, at least from a shot-stopping perspective. Not entirely sure what his positioning was supposed to be at 0:15, on 0:23 there's a very good bit of reflexes, although arguably his dealing with the initial shot is what caused it in the first place, as he should probably be getting it further away

Freeman - was having a mare early doors. A good chunk of this was when Baxter was playing wide and not really helping him, once Baxter and Adams switched he seemed to improve, think this is partially on the manager but I think he had to do better in a few spots

Harris - looked alright for the most part, solid game

Basham - apart from one gaffe in the first half which could easily have lead to something dangerous for them, looked decent, best game in a while

Collins - distribution wasn't great but did enough for the most part

Hammond - I didn't think he was that bad at the time, merely not playing as well as Coutts did, but didn't get a clear view of him effectively gifting them their goal and the sort of crap we see at 0:37. I'm hoping to god that we don't end up taking him on permanent in the JTW.

Coutts - think he played well. Put in some decent challenges, an encouraging improvement

JCR - didn't think he was overly effective, did get cleaned out a few times which the ref seemed to not care about, if he's getting no protection and we only have one winger then he's going to struggle

Baxter - this experiment on the right needs to end immediately, it's not working and we need to utilise one of our most creative players in the middle of the park where it matters. Came into it more once he did shift inside, well taken goal

Adams - should have had a pen on 1:14, although I was thinking in real time that he should have done a lot better and got it over the keeper before he got cleared out afterwards. He's getting into positions but he really needs to set up where he can take it down early and run at people, his first touch was ropey on a few occasions

Sharp - thought he put in a lot more effort than in recent games, but that's not saying a huge amount, although I was shocked that he did go off as I thought that was verboten

Sammon - looked a touch rusty, but if Adkins will barely play him and when he does it's out of position. Chased down a bunch of balls and generally did a better job of putting the opposition under pressure than Sharp, also offered an outlet that can actually either win balls, or at least force the defender into a less effective clearance. Also watch straight after the goal - he's not interested in none of that celebrating bullshit, he's going straight for the ball to try to save time.

Scougall - didn't have a huge amount of time to influence the game but showed good workrate and occasional bursts of skill which might create chances.

What I'd like to see going forward: Long - Brayford, Collins, Basham, Harris - Hammond, Coutts - JCR, Baxter, Adams - Sammon (btw thank fuck that the site saves drafts, computer just crashed after writing all that). Get Brayford some first team minutes. Give Hammond another shot to see if he can actually work in a slightly different lineup but have a very itchy trigger finger if he doesn't (hopefully Edgar can be at least bench ready soon to push Basham to DM if needed?). Happy to see Coutts get more minutes on today's outing. Baxter needs to play centrally, doing so as a more advanced player of a three might help. I don't know if Adams is best played wide, or if JCR is optimal outside of a 4-4-2, but we can at least get them into positions to bring the ball down and run at the opposition, and apart from Flynn who's barely back from injury and Done, who's the same but has dropped in form sharply, we don't have a great deal of choice. I'd also like to see Sammon start, I think he offers something different and is the sort of player that'll do well if he's starting a game and can grow to the speed of it, rather than getting 20 minutes here, 30 minutes there. Frankly Sharp looks jaded, maybe having him be the player to come on and make the difference could see him nick one and get back into form. Overall happy to nick a point - I think this was a general improvement, even though we probably should have lost, if the ref gave the obvious pen and we stole all three then the Walsall fans would have been quite right to be furious

Gloves and coloured boots- The ensemble of choice for your modern dogshit 3rd division footballer.

One positive is that Long looks more confident

It's interesting what the highlights give you. Here's the summary from the ground:

- First save to his left, everyone around me (far left behind the goal) was yelling at him for tipping round a shot "that was going wide"
- the chip over him that he didn't scramble towards because he saw it was going wide people were screaming about
- the save to his right people were angry about because he didn't tip it round the post
- the excellent tip round the post following the double save people were furious about because he didn't catch the first save at the feet
- the goal people were too busy yelling at Adkins, the defence, the team, the world, to realise Long might have done better on that one to cut the cross out, albeit ultimately tapped in by an unmarked player

There's one thing to look at Long's performance and objectively deem it shit, and boy there have been a barrel of examples to pick from. But today it appeared I was in a bubble in the away end, so I'm glad to see the highlights were a representation of what I viewed with my own eyes at the time. It seemed to me that for the majority of fans quick to pounce today the cycle basically went:

1. Long is shit
2. Why is Long starting? He's shit
3. Look at that, he didn't know the ball was going wide, that was shit
4. Why has he pushed that out rather than catching it? He's shit
5. That was a good save, but he's only had to do it because he did a shit save before
6. {intermission for abuse at team at large following goal}
7. {panic in box related to last ditch defending} Long! You're shit!

Let me make it absolutely clear. I would like us to sign, and have repeatedly said we need to sign, a competent reliable, goalkeeper of upper League 1/lower Championship standard. Howard and Long aren't that currently. Both have decent attributes in different aspects. Neither are the keeper we are looking for. But FFS, if either of them are actually doing a decent job on the few occasions they do give them credit.

How the fuck was that not a penalty and a sending off for their player?

And well done George Long. Cannot remember when we last had a points saving performance from our 'keeper.

Back
Top Bottom