Hecky's Legacy GRAPH!!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ucandomagic

Reaction score
I posted a table yesterday showing that if we win the last 2 games this will be our best ever season at the second level.
(I’ve put the table on here again under the graph for anybody that missed it.)

The only comments that I got yesterday were demands that I produce a graph rather than just a table – so I am clearly typecast as a one-trick pony!

Anyway, by public demand, I have calculated the 320 data points (2 to go!) for the 7 seasons and dutifully entered them and plotted them. As all seven seasons were very successful, it did mean that the lines were close together, so I’ve had to stretch the graph and play around with colours and dashes, but you can make most things out OK on a laptop – more difficult on a phone! As I said yesterday, to be able to make the comparison the extra 4 games for the 42 game seasons have had to be at the average points per game over the actual 42. I've left our games this season as the labels on the bottom, as I think it's more interesting than Match1, Match 2 etc - you can remember how you felt after each game that way.

60/61 was an interesting season, 15 wins and a draw in the first 19 games, then 6 games without a win – a bit like our 2 points from 6 games in October. We also went to the cup semi-final that year, which we lost to Leicester after 2 replays! About 8 years ago I was on a train across to Chester after a game and an old chap told me that he used to play for United. His wife immediately chipped in that he had scored a hat-trick in the Cup at Newcastle. His name was Billy Russell, and that was the quarter final in 1961. They were a really nice couple.

So – here’s the graph – hopefully next Monday Hecky’s little red line will push itself to the top, above Reg Freeman!

UTB & Slava Ukraini

Hecky’s Legacy Graph:
Hecky Legacy Graph.jpg

Hecky's Legacy Table:
Post-War Table.jpg

It’s OK on a phone ‘cos you can zoom in on the bits of interest.

You could dash Warnock’s line in the next version, after Udders?, as Hecky’s line runs right underneath it towards the end.

Bet you drank a lot of single malt getting all those numbers together!!

UTB & FTP

A picture paints a thousand stories. Love it.

Brilliant Hecky, Jack, S McCall.

Something special which started under Wilder and Hecky has managed as well or even better is team spirit.
Footballers are competitive individuals and their team-mates are also rivals. How often do you get squads who honestly support and lift each other all the time?
I reckon this is pretty rare

Hecky has really strong but understated passion for the Club. The players love him because he is 100% honest and expects them all to be the same. Unlike most of our successful managers he isn’t the biggest name in the changing room - and most importantly he doesn’t want to be.

Ive seen them all except the Freeman promotion as I was just born ! Interesting that some of those seemed better than what we have done this season especially the John Harris one in 1970/71 - which I think is because we only lost 7 all season albeit had a lot of draws ! and of course we had Woodward and Currie !
Thanks for this info - I would really love us to win the last 2 so that Hecky can really claim to be the best promotion season in our history !

Done a brilliant job, but this is comfortably the best Championship first XI and squad we’ve ever had IMHO.
The fact Slav did so badly highlights this as being such a better achievement than on the face of it for me. Yes, it’s a very good squad but he’s nurtured it in such a way that it’s been able to perform to such a high level.

Hecky and co have created such a togetherness which has kept players hungry & grounded despite most of them coming to the end of contracts.

He also clawed us to a fairly respectable points tally in the prem after Wilder left. He never had that momentum factor like other mangers had when they came into this league.

Add to that the boardroom drama, an embargo, a horrific injury list & the extra cup games and Wembley appearance on the players minds - it’s just an unbelievable job.

I was shocked and a little concerned when we gave him such a long contract but has my 100% backing whatever happens next year in the prem.

Hecky has really strong but understated passion for the Club. The players love him because he is 100% honest and expects them all to be the same. Unlike most of our successful managers he isn’t the biggest name in the changing room - and most importantly he doesn’t want to be.
Love that. Bang on the money. A coach who wants to learn and would be equally happy - if not happier - coaching the U23’s.

Love that. Bang on the money. A coach who wants to learn and would be equally happy - if not happier - coaching the U23’s.
Win the next 2 and he’s quietly become a genuine Blades legend.

Second Level is where we have spent the majority of modern-day football, and he would become our best ever manager at that level.

With his steady hand on the wheel approach, he must be our best bet to navigate the violent Premier League waters for a decent period this time. If we could stay up for 5 years or more his legendary status would be unchallenged.

Anyway, Covid ruined our enjoyment of Tufty’s crowning season - so who knows what other surprises the football gods have waiting for us!

UTB

Something special which started under Wilder and Hecky has managed as well or even better is team spirit.
Footballers are competitive individuals and their team-mates are also rivals. How often do you get squads who honestly support and lift each other all the time?
I reckon this is pretty rare
And it’s now so clear how sorely lacking this was for a few years pre-Wilder.

I posted a table yesterday showing that if we win the last 2 games this will be our best ever season at the second level.

The only comments that I got yesterday were demands that I produce a graph rather than just a table – so I am clearly typecast as a one-trick pony!

Anyway, by public demand, I have calculated the 320 data points (2 to go!) for the 7 seasons and dutifully entered them and plotted them. As all seven seasons were very successful, it did mean that the lines were close together, so I’ve had to stretch the graph and play around with colours and dashes, but you can make most things out OK on a laptop – more difficult on a phone! As I said yesterday, to be able to make the comparison the extra 4 games for the 42 game seasons have had to be at the average points per game over the actual 42. I've left our games this season as the labels on the bottom, as I think it's more interesting than Match1, Match 2 etc - you can remember how you felt after each game that way.

60/61 was an interesting season, 15 wins and a draw in the first 19 games, then 6 games without a win – a bit like our 2 points from 6 games in October. We also went to the cup semi-final that year, which we lost to Leicester after 2 replays! About 8 years ago I was on a train across to Chester after a game and an old chap told me that he used to play for United. His wife immediately chipped in that he had scored a hat-trick in the Cup at Newcastle. His name was Billy Russell, and that was the quarter final in 1961. They were a really nice couple.

So – here’s the graph – hopefully next Monday Hecky’s little red line will push itself to the top, above Reg Freeman!

UTB & Slava Ukraini

Hecky’s Legacy Graph:
View attachment 159577

Hecky's Legacy Table:
View attachment 159578
Can you do a graph of my emoji results tracker? 🤣

UTB & Slava Ukraini

Hecky’s Legacy Graph:
View attachment 159577

Hecky's Legacy Table:
View attachment 159578
Love stuff like this but data sort by win% column.

I'm looking for a graph showing our league position this season over time, essentially showing how long we've been at second place for. Any ideas where?

I'm looking for a graph showing our league position this season over time, essentially showing how long we've been at second place for. Any ideas where?

We have been in 2nd spot since the World Cup. I think I heard a Sky commentator mention that.

Here you go.

We've been second since after the Cardiff game on 12th November.

UTB & Slava Ukraini

View attachment 159658

We haven't been out of the playoffs since the fourth game of the season, and spend 80% of the season in the top 2.

Yet we're not all that, apparently.

That's league dominance if I ever saw it.

The fact Slav did so badly highlights this as being such a better achievement than on the face of it for me. Yes, it’s a very good squad but he’s nurtured it in such a way that it’s been able to perform to such a high level.

Hecky and co have created such a togetherness which has kept players hungry & grounded despite most of them coming to the end of contracts.

He also clawed us to a fairly respectable points tally in the prem after Wilder left. He never had that momentum factor like other mangers had when they came into this league.

Add to that the boardroom drama, an embargo, a horrific injury list & the extra cup games and Wembley appearance on the players minds - it’s just an unbelievable job.

I was shocked and a little concerned when we gave him such a long contract but has my 100% backing whatever happens next year in the prem.

Really good summary. He’s had better raw materials than any Blades manager since Robson, but he’s also uniformly improved his players, made big decisions on others, and faced really significant problems along the way.

It could so easily have panned out very differently. Essentially Hecky has secured the medium term future of the club just as it faced a precipice.

Back
Top Bottom