Hecky In or Hecky Out the arguments for and against video

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

YorkBlade

Reaction score
A 'hopefully' fair, reasoned and balanced video looking at the debate that seems to be raging from all sides after numerous discussions on forums, social media and newspaper talk. Let me know what you make of this video.

PS: if you can spot the made up word comment below ;)

A 'hopefully' fair, reasoned and balanced video looking at the debate that seems to be raging from all sides after numerous discussions on forums, social media and newspaper talk. Let me know what you make of this video.

Excellent presentation( video) 1st rule of a presentation know your subject that was as good as it gets.
The answer is who knows! Just hope like all Blades we get it right.
I'm in the Hecki camp but I think we need a new voice with some fresh ideas as well.

It’s a tricky one.

He’s being asked to make the best of a bad job.

Does the best of a bad job look like 1 point from 30?

Is there more to the job than immediate results? I.e. giving games to Osula and Traore and Trusty, is that making us stronger for future seasons?

Underminded?

It’s a tricky one.

He’s being asked to make the best of a bad job.

Does the best of a bad job look like 1 point from 30?

Is there more to the job than immediate results? I.e. giving games to Osula and Traore and Trusty, is that making us stronger for future seasons?

No he’s been asked to work within a certain budget and in the process managed to make it a bad job.

One thing I wanna say is why would he want to come back? He left because he didn’t want relegation on his CV, so how is this situation any different? Seems stupid to me

I'm not sure PH deserves to lose his job. On the other hand I think it might be the only way of potentially rescuing this season. Manager changes in this scenario are always a long shot, but nothing else provides as much instant impact, aside from signing several new players, which we obviously can't bring in until Jan (assuming we can afford any).

The only arguments for keeping him in the job tend to relate to the past, ie he did an amazing job last season.

I see very little belief from the team in how we're playing. That combined with no confidence, means that we'll likely be one of the worst ever PL teams again, unless something changes soon.

I would be honestly surprised if we scored from open play, let alone get a win.

Loads of sympathy for PH, but I'm now leaning towards a change of manager, in the hope it produces a miracle.

Ollie talks a lot of sense, but I’m not sure his choice of possible replacements for Heckinbottom are the right ones.

It’s only an opinion, but I think Michael Beale is the one name who could resurrect our future.

Really well put together video. I'm more depressed now than i was before i watched it we really are that bad. Jeez i honestly don't know where my head's at stick or twist either way we are down unless there is an absolute change in player mentality. The toughest part is allowing heads to go down you see it after we concede heads drop. Unforgivable i don't see fans leaving at 1 nil down sell out away days little or no effort unforgivable.

Underminded🤔,not with a masters he's not😜

I am so much in the Hecky-In camp I find it difficult to remain rational when trying to reply to the stuff put out there by those who are in the Hecky-Out brigade. (Many who have never wanted him in the first place).

As Blades we don't throw people under the bus. It's not the SU Way.

If the Prince can afford to pay Hecky off then it maybe partly down to Hecky making the club more finacially sound. Oh the iriony.

It's like turning around to TC in 1976 and saying we've built a brand new stand and one day it will be called the Tony Currie Stand, and by the way we are selling you to Leeds to pay for it.

I am so much in the Hecky-In camp I find it difficult to remain rational when trying to reply to the stuff put out there by those who are in the Hecky-Out brigade. (Many who have never wanted him in the first place).

As Blades we don't throw people under the bus. It's not the SU Way.

If the Prince can afford to pay Hecky off then it maybe partly down to Hecky making the club more finacially sound. Oh the iriony.

It's like turning around to TC in 1976 and saying we've built a brand new stand and one day it will be called the Tony Currie Stand, and by the way we are selling you to Leeds to pay for it.
We could always use the Chansiri method of football economics 😳.
And we think we're in trouble.
Small mercy's eh.

The number of injuries alone should mean he should be gone.

A well balanced piece.
The case for the defence is pretty strong, but so is the case for the prosecution.

I’ve consistently until now been staunchly pro Hecky, for all the reasons stated in the video.

But as Ollie says, maybe now is the time for a fresh start.

The real game changer would be meaningful investment, but that would inevitably come at the expense of Hecky’s job anyway.

Without major investment, if we continue as we are, best case is we will spend the next few years in some yo-yoing Groundhog Day nightmare between the Championship and the bottom of the PL.

Worst case, we plummet down the league again and struggle to ever play at the highest level again.

So very reluctantly- Hecky out 😢

Can't believe we are like every other club, or even worse than piggy fans at the moment. With half of the fans moaning about sacking people. It's wrong.

He was given a 5 year contract, let him see it out, just for once footballing gods. Majority of fans over a year ago were like "yeah, we'll give him a chance no matter what" and the board too. Things have got very tough and now people don't want to know and get rid. It's just something to talk about because yeah we are doing badly and frankly there's nothing else to talk about other than the negative. Let us not forget the shit hand Hecky has been dealt.

The league table is the league table, SOME TEAM HAS to finish bottom. It just happens to be us at the moment. The years roll by pretty quickly, it wouldn't be too long before we say goodbye and thanks Paul anyway.

I think the owner has instilled a sense of panic almost amoung fans by saying things along the lines of we wouldn't exist anymore or not enough money if we were not promoted etc. I think that aspect has clouded some people's view of the club as a whole.

I think a lot of this is kind of funny in a way. Because nobody or not many people actually know what it's like behind closed doors at training, board room, etc. People saying the club and/or owner need to make a statement... They already did a few times backing Paul and Co. I don't believe that they are all just sat at the academy eating biscuits and supping tea. I choose to believe they are doing their best to rectify the situation in some way.

It would not surprise me if he was sacked or he left though, such is the state of football. With major investment, Hecky would be gone anyway. We know that. But for me, Paul stays, gets his 5 year mission done and move on. Unless things get REALLY bad after this season, I can't see him going in the short term. Unless a mob emerges demanding he leave. History would be repeating itself all over again and look where it landed us last time of cycling through managers. Look (and laugh) at what it did to Wendy.

Last edited:
I don't think anything will change until the prince sells the club ASAP hopefully. The prince cannot afford to run the club he has told us that himself.to sack Hecky means paying his contract up he can't afford to do that. So Hecky stays until a change of owners. the situation we are in is not Hecky's fault he has done a great job getting us promoted. two players were sold just before the season started. I think he has bought some decent players within the budget he was given. unfortunately, injuries are a big problem with half the squad out—some long-term. Hopefully, some players can be back playing soon. we are in limbo at the moment however I am a season ticket holder and will keep going. I know it's not good but if we get relegated i will still buy a season ticket.I am a Blade forever UP THE BLADES.

Agree balanced arguments for and against but the owner has had an easy ride. We are in this situation because of the indecision regarding the sale of the Club, full sale/part sale? everything feeds down from that point. References to sustainable 5 year plans are rendered irrelevant now as we slumber along in a for sale void. The real question to ask is after such a poor start has PA now accepted his price, as reported by Bloomberg of £170 million, is now totally unrealistic and is he going to revise his plan as a consequence.

Stephen Bettis said a few weeks ago the debt management had improved such that we only needed to sell one player on relegation. Does that mean we have accepted after only 10 games with 28 more left that we are down? This needs explaining. If not how are we going to approach the next 28 games as the current malaise can not continue if there is any inkling that the Club want to make a fight of the rest of the season.

The review of the injury problems is a start as imo its one of the key reasons why we are in this current mess. The manager has to be accountable as its his Head of Sports Science and coaches managing the training routines and injury recovery programmes. The Board can't escape some responsibility as they have invested little in the way of post recovery infrastructure.

We can debate till the cows come home as to whether a new manager will improve the situation but the fundamental problem of how the Club operates on a day to day basis remains and any new incumbent will encounter the same problems. The new manager if we go down that road will find he has to become a plate spinner along with the CEO who is the only on site decision maker on all matters football. Training ground problems, player concerns about new contracts, academy and recruitment issues will all have to bolted on to the vital role of getting the team fit, re invigorated, an improved playing style and tactics and general mood uplift. Lets not forget also having to become a skilled diplomat in media interviews where all non football questions have to be dealt with about the sale, lack of funds, non payment of bills, embargoes.

Add in your position being undermined on transfer policy by the owner leaking information to an untrained third party on twitter and you do wonder why any credible manager want to take this on.

For the record I'm in the we have to make a managerial change but many of the additional roles mentioned could and should be taken on by PH who deserves some loyalty from the Board for having to deal with this dysfunctional approach to club management.

He was given a 5 year contract, let him see it out, just for once footballing gods.
So if we are bottom of the championship at this stage next season and relegation to League 1 is looking a certainty, you fully back Hecky even then and want him to remain in charge?

Hypothetical I know but I am just wondering when enough is enough with those still backing him.

So if we are bottom of the championship at this stage next season and relegation to League 1 is looking a certainty, you fully back Hecky even then and want him to remain in charge?

Hypothetical I know but I am just wondering when enough is enough with those still backing him.

I did say "Unless things get REALLY bad after this season, I can't see him going in the short term."

So yes, that would qualify as enough in my opinion if we are in this position again in a lower league.

I did say "Unless things get REALLY bad after this season, I can't see him going in the short term."

So yes, that would qualify as enough in my opinion if we are in this position again in a lower league.
Ah ok got you, so it’s when you think things are bad enough and not when others think things are bad enough like right now for instance and a change might make a difference.

Btw that’s not having a dig at you personally because we are all entitled to our opinions but it’s just that those so opposed to Hecky getting sacked clearly want him sacked only when they deem it the right time and not those who have genuine concerns that right now he doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing.

If Hecky stays and the shit show carries on there's no way we bounce back under him. Every ounce of confidence and spirit will be drained from the management team, players and fans with another 20 odd batterings.
He may have been shafted and hard done to and have a promotion behind him but I just can't see him turning us from a potentially record breaking disaster to top two over a few weeks in the summer.

Ah ok got you, so it’s when you think things are bad enough and not when others think things are bad enough like right now for instance and a change might make a difference.

Btw that’s not having a dig at you personally because we are all entitled to our opinions but it’s just that those so opposed to Hecky getting sacked clearly want him sacked only when they deem it the right time and not those who have genuine concerns that right now he doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing.

Yeah I see what you are saying. It is almost hypocritical what I said, but like most other fans I am ambivalent about the whole situation. The issue is the fact that someone started rumours and it has snowballed and split fans. When the fans and club were willing to back him all the way, and now people have become a bit fickle.

I just think Hecky is more adept to Championship level. So I would probably consider being bottom of the Championship really bad, when compared to a league we probably didn't have much of a chance in anyway, regardless of all the shit that has gone on behind the scenes.

What the hell is Bobbins doing on there, he’s never done naff all to warrant a shot at a prem club, getting Cov in the playoffs ONCE. WOW we may as well shut up shop now and head to L1 if that’s the limit of our ambitions..

Back
Top Bottom