Hecky has 36% and Pep has 12%. Career Loss %'s to judge a Manager.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ron_Justice

Reaction score
Just posted this in another thread but it threw up some interesting stats/comparisons (to me at least) ....

Looking at Career Loss % as opposed to Win % shows some unexpected highs and lows. Not exhaustive data but an interesting snapshot.

Name
Career Loss %
NameCareer Loss %
Hecky36%Benitez27%
Potter30%Rooney46%
Blessin37%Postecoglou26%
Pep12%Monty29%
Warcock33%Pulis34%
Wilder33%Darren Moore27%
Marco Silva29%Rob Edwards32%
Ten Hag20%Emery25%
Dean Smith36%Kompany19%
Howe35%Klopp22%
Jokanovic27%Nigel Clough39%
Bielsa29%Farke30%

Just posted this in another thread but it threw up some interesting stats/comparisons (to me at least) ....

Looking at Career Loss % as opposed to Win % shows some unexpected highs and lows. Not exhaustive data but an interesting snapshot.

Name
Career Loss %
NameCareer Loss %
Hecky36%Benitez27%
Potter30%Rooney46%
Blessin37%Postecoglou26%
Pep12%Monty29%
Warcock33%Pulis34%
Wilder33%Darren Moore27%
Marco Silva29%Rob Edwards32%
Ten Hag20%Emery25%
Dean Smith36%Kompany19%
Howe35%Klopp22%
Jokanovic27%Nigel Clough39%
Bielsa29%Farke30%

Depends where you manage in terms of the football pyramid and the relative strength of the squad you take over. At SUFC at least Hecky took over a strong squad with some outstanding individuals and got us up at the second time of asking, his win ratio was always going to be good. Warnock had a poor squad with which he steadied the ship and slowly built, those earlier years saw understandably fewer wins. Wilder built us up from the ashes and the squad quality & competitiveness grew as we went up through the divisions. He then managed for two seasons at the toughest level.

Granted it’s overall stats through a career but an illustration of the importance of context nonetheless.

Depends where you manage in terms of the football pyramid and the relative strength of the squad you take over. At SUFC at least Hecky took over a strong squad with some outstanding individuals and got us up at the second time of asking, his win ratio was always going to be good. Warnock had a poor squad with which he steadied the ship and slowly built, those earlier years saw understandably fewer wins. Wilder built us up from the ashes and the squad quality & competitiveness grew as we went up through the divisions. He then managed for two seasons at the toughest level.

Granted it’s overall stats through a career but an illustration of the importance of context nonetheless.
Indeed but without starting a PHD in the relative careers and nuances of all contemporary Managers from the top leagues in the world, this seems like a decent way to give a a shorthand to see relative quality. Howe is the outlier here and important to include and it illustrates that overall stats don't do much to illuminate form.

Indeed but without starting a PHD in the relative careers and nuances of all contemporary Managers from the top leagues in the world, this seems like a decent way to give a a shorthand to see relative quality.

I'm all for stats, but looking solely at a 'loss %' doesn't really say anything about relative quality. It just tells you about what type of jobs they've had.

I haven't looked, but I suspect that Lampard has a fairly low loss %, because he's managed Derby in the Championship with lots of money and loans, Chelsea in the Premier League with lots of money and Everton in the Premier League with lots of money.

I'm all for stats, but looking solely at a 'loss %' doesn't really say anything about relative quality. It just tells you about what type of jobs they've had.

I haven't looked, but I suspect that Lampard has a fairly low loss %, because he's managed Derby in the Championship with lots of money and loans, Chelsea in the Premier League with lots of money and Everton in the Premier League with lots of money.
36%. Same as PH.

Lampard and Gerrard are missing. That would be interesting.

That's absolutely shocking, considering the cost of the teams he's managed.
Which suggests, to me at least, that there's some credibility in looking at Loss % as a metric to judge a manager. Not the be all and end all, but it is enlightening.

Back
Top Bottom