Heckingbottom Earned his chance?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Can just see the big press conference . . . . And the new manager is . . . . Er . . . . Paul Heckingbottom because we genuinely beleive he's . . . Er . . The best man for the job . . . . . Oh, and he'll be assisted by . . . . . Jason Tindall (and thats not just because he's good mates with Bettis, no, he's the best man for that job too . . . . . ). Yeah, we know it looks like we've just gone for the cheap / easy option but that's not the case at all - they were the stand out candidates. . . . . . . No, come on, it's not happening is it?! . . . . . . Is it???!!!! . . . . . No.

The guy said in his interview only yesterday he hasn't been spoken to about the job and basically said he's going back to the under 23 's

Why do so many of you refuse to accept that ?

Because the owner isn't from Sheffield.

The guy said in his interview only yesterday he hasn't been spoken to about the job and basically said he's going back to the under 23 's

Why do so many of you refuse to accept that ?

Because this thread would finish early...

Jeez - the bloke has got all the hallmarks of being a decent coach.

A coach and a manager are totally different types of people and requirements to do each job.

United would be making a major mistake in appointing Heckingbottom as MANAGER (IMHO)

Back to the U23 set up which has shown great promise and improvement of late.

Football is full of coaches who have tried and failed and very few that stand out as succeeding.

UTB

He has earned a chance but hes been doing wonders with the under 23s I reckon we should keep him with the youngsters instead of taking the chance of it not working out for him and sufc sacking him just my opinion

If Hermes are involved then we probably got a deal done for Jokanović last week but they delivered him to the wrong address.

They'll find him behind the steel wall outside the Copthorne.

I'll put you down as a maybe.

I don't think Heckinbottom has done enough throughout his career to suggest he is the man we need full time. He said himself today that being a permanent manager is totally different to being a caretaker.

He does deserve a lot of credit though. The post Wilder league table sees us in 14th place and I think he deserves enormous praise for that. The club was a complete shambles when took over at that Leicester game and he's definitely leaving it with us in a healthier situation. His only real task I suppose was to avoid a total humiliation and in finishing with 23 points I think he's achieved that. We're just another shit team who have gone down now when we could have easily gone as one of the worst ever.
We are definitely one of the worst ever Roy. No question about it for me.

As successful as Jakanovic has been. He doesn’t seem the type of manager who sticks around too long, successful or not. Yes, we need a good manager, but this club’s love for managers who buy into club and locality is a joy to behold. I hope I’m wrong about the Serb... Maybe he hasn’t found the right club yet.

I don’t get those who are saying Hecky has deserved his chance to be manager next season? We have played dead rubber games and looked ok, only ok, in 2? of his 11 games, the rest were shite with no tactical changes until the last few games. How does that warrant a deserved chance? Keep him at the U23s where he’s doing a cracking job by all accounts and appoint a manager with some fresh ideas and someone who can kick these players into shape.

I can see PH being our DOF with RVW and specific role to coach and oversee youth development

The irony is

95% of our fanbase were fully behind Wilder.
He was building a foundation regards how to play....this DNA was going to be used by EVERY team from Academy to first team.
Our fans want to stability and to build on the foundations laid by Wilder.
The whole point of this foundation was that when Wilder left the building blocks and structure would already be in place.

Heginbottom is part of the DNA and structure..he knows what Wilder was trying to build and knows the club.
Incredibly in less than 12 months most of our fans want us to rip down Wilders foundations and to start a new re-building job from scrarch.

I’m open minded...would rather have a figurehead with more experience and bigger reputation
Maybe the new man has been told he can‘t start afresh and needs to continue building upon the foundations laid by Wilder and Hegginbotham.
I’d prefer someone else (if the conditions are right) but I’m not against giving it to Hegginbotham.
I like him as a person but his player selections and tactics haven’t been inspiring...as though he knows we’ll lose...so he can’t be bothered to try anything different.
I understand your point but I'm much less certain about 'the foundations laid by Wilder'. The catastrophic falling apart of the team this season doesn't make me feel the foundations weren't all that strong in the first place. We definitely had bad luck with JOC but the DNA of the club, as you describe it, can't rest on the availability and fitness of one or two players. So I dont agree that the fans 'want to rip it down'. I think CW did a pretty good job of that himself in leaving in the manner he did, purchasing the players he did and demonstrating throughout the season that when the need to change things around was so desperately needed, there was nothing there.

We seem as a club to do better under the more charismatic managers - Bassett, Warnock, Wilder - and Heckingbottom hardly fits that bill. It's also true to say that there aren't many of those types of managers around and maybe its time for a change. Like you and everyone else, I just don't know where we are now. Honest truth is that i wish CW had stayed to lead the campaign next year. Frank Lampard anyone?

I just want to express appreciation to PH for his efforts. He was thrown into a very difficult situation with it now seems a chaotic and acrimonious environment within players and coaching staff that had Billy in tears. To get us to 14 th inthe post wilder league with relegation a near certainty from the start and the injury situation is a very reasonable performance. I have been impressed by his measured professional tone in the interviews and thought he came over really well. Very glad he is going to be in the club to support the new manager. Thanks Paul.

I think we need someone entirely new to our situation to make everyone a bit more uncomfortable, too many with their slippers on.
The whole place needs a shake up, new manager new voices, new ideas, new players.
The group have been together too long now.

Because the owner isn't from Sheffield.
We had a owner from Sheffield, no bigger Blade McCabe, picked useless managers and sold our best players which kept us in League 1 for 6years!! And no he didn't pick Wilder, Harry Bassett told him to👍

Steve McManamanaman was talking shite yesterday, saying that once you've 'had a taste' of the first team job you're bound to want it, and then some bollocks dismissing youth team football.
Agreed, Tom.
Said it didn't matter if U23's lost games, referred to PH as Heckinjob.

It’s a no from me
Steve McManamanaman was talking shite yesterday, saying that once you've 'had a taste' of the first team job you're bound to want it, and then some bollocks dismissing youth team football.
Then 24 hours, he is being regularly picked up by the cameras at the FA Youth Cup final, not as a pundit on BT Sport but as a spectator.

It’s a no from me

Then 24 hours, he is being regularly picked up by the cameras at the FA Youth Cup final, not as a pundit on BT Sport but as a spectator.
Probably because he’s a part time youth coach with Liverpool.

But if the general consensus is that he’s an idiot who talks shite, why does anyone care what he thinks? He’s not in charge of anything.

I was dead against this 6 weeks or so but if it were to happen now i wouldn't be too disappointed, would much prefer Slavisa Jokanovic but think Hecky has done enough to be considered

Back
Top Bottom