Has a defeat ever been so positive?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheffsteel

Reaction score
Any game against Liverpool is more than ever, massively in the shop window, with every pass/ kick discussed by 10’s of millions around the world.

This is one for Roysview.....but I think feedback from this Liverpool is a watershed moment breaking all records.

Let me explain.....if we had beat Liverpool then there would be many 10000’s of Liverpool fans saying “SU were lucky....they parked the bus and SU were crap”
If we had drawn we will have still received some negative comments but not as many. However yesterday’s defeat has never before created so many genuinely positive comments, think this defeat due to social media has put us on the map more than any other game in our entire history.

Liverpool forums
They seem quite an educated bunch.....some are saying how they played so poorly against us....but even more are correcting them by saying that it was Sheff Utd and Chris Wilders tactics that made them look poor. Many are saying they didn’t realise we were this good...and no wonder we beat Everton last week. Quite a few are also saying we’re capable of helping them by taking points off the top 6. They all say that yesterday was the toughest match they’ve had all season and they were quite lucky but just about deserved their win.

BBC site comments and newspaper comments
I’ve never seen so many positive comments about us and Chris Wilder. Some are saying Wilder outsmarted Klopp with his tactics.
Even Liverpool fans and many neutrals are saying how they rate Wilder and love listening to his honesty....which is so unlike other PL cliche managers.
Many can’t believe we play a good passing game and were really impressed with our workrate and team ethic.

Talksport radio
Listened to it about 11pm last night and they did a quick review of the Premier League.
The presenter said he really enjoyed watching the Sheff U v Liverpool because it was refreshing to see the Liverpool stars struggling and shows the strength of the English league when newly promoted teams can perform so well. He said he was really impressed with Sheff `Utd and said he needed to apologise. He admitted that he was one of the pundits who tipped Sheff Utd to be relegation fodder but he said from what he’s seen we are more likely to finish comfortable mid table. He also said he now knows what all the fuss is about with Wilder and really rates him and likes him.

At just after midnight was listening to the presenter Will Gavin. He mentioned that Everton played well but lost 1-3 to Man City, in the post match interview Marco Silva did the cliche stuff of saying how Everton’s performance was so good. Then he mentioned that Chris Wilder’s team also played well but lost 0-1 to Liverpool, however Wilders post match interview was totally different explaining that it’s no good playing well and feeling good because it’s zero points. Will Gavin admitted that he’s a Reading fan and never liked Sheffield United because of Warnock, he mentioned that Reading have had some unsavoury battles with SU when Warnock was manager. However he said he absolutely loves Wilders honesty. He said SU don’t have the individuals but play really good football and Wilder is a winner. He also said that it’s looks like the pundits have made a big mistake in predicting Sheff Utd to be relegated.

National image/ reputation/ perception is more important than what some people think.
I really believe that yesterday’s defeat has converted 10’s of millions to think positively about Sheffield United and Chris Wilder.
The tide has turned.....fans are gradually starting to disassociate us with the Basset/ Warnock long ball game image,..that’s been linked to us for 20 years.
The general public seem convinced if we keep up our performances then there’s no way we’ll be involved in the relegation battle.

Last edited:

Any game against Liverpool is more than ever, massively in the shop window, with every pass/ kick discussed by 10’s of millions around the world.

This is one for Roysview.....but I think feedback from this Liverpool is a watershed moment breaking all records.

Let me explain.....if we had beat Liverpool then there would be many 10000’s of Liverpool fans saying “SU were lucky....they parked the bus and SU were crap”
If we had drawn we will have still received some negative comments but not as many. However yesterday’s defeat has never before created so many genuinely positive comments, think this defeat due to social media has put us on the map more than any other game in our entire history.

Liverpool forums
They seem quite an educated bunch.....some are saying how they played so poorly against us....but even more are correcting them by saying that it was Sheff Utd and Chris Wilders tactics that made them look poor. Many are saying they didn’t realise we were this good...and no wonder we beat Everton last week. Quite a few are also saying we’re capable of helping them by taking points off the top 6. They all say that yesterday was the toughest match they’ve had all season and they were quite lucky but just about deserved it.

I’ve never seen so many positive comments about us and Chris Wilder. Some are saying Wilder outsmarted Klopp with his tactics.
Even Liverpool fans and many neutrals are saying how they rate Wilder and love listening to his honesty.
Many can’t believe we play a good passing game and were really impressed with our workrate and team ethic.

Talksport radio
Listened to it about 11pm last night and they did a quick review of the Premier League.
The presenter said he really enjoyed watching the Sheff U v Liverpool because it was refreshing to see the Liverpool stars struggling and shows the strength of the English league when newly promoted teams can perform so well. He said he was really impressed with Sheff `Utd and said he needed to apologise. He admitted that he was one of the pundits who tipped Sheff Utd to be relegation fodder but he said from what he’s seen we are more likely to finish comfortable mid table. He also said he now knows what all the fuss is about with Wilder and really rates him.

At just after midnight was listening to the presenter Will Gavin. He mentioned that Everton played well but lost 1-3 to Man City, in the post match interview Marco Silva did the cliche stuff of saying how Everton’s performance was so good. Then he mentioned that Chris Wilder’s team also played well but lost 0-1 to Liverpool, however Wilders post match interview was totally different explaining that it’s no good playing well and feeling good because it’s zero points. Will Gavin admitted that he’s a Reading fan and never liked Sheffield United because of Warnock, he mentioned that Reading have had some unsavoury battles with SU when Warnock was manager. However he said he absolutely loves Wilders honesty. He said SU don’t have the individuals but play really good football and Wilder is a winner. He also said that it’s looks like the pundits have made a big mistake in predicting Sheff Utd to be relegated.

National image/ reputation/ perception is more important than what some people think.
I really believe that yesterday’s defeat has converted 10’s of millions to think positively about Sheffield United and Chris Wilder.
The tide has turned.....fans are gradually starting to disassociate us with the Basset/ Warnock long ball game image,..that’s been linked to us for 20 years.
The general public seem convinced if we keep up our performances then there’s no way we’ll be involved in the relegation battle.
When Bassett and Warnock came along they gave us something to shout about at times when we in real need of an uplift. The quality wasn’t there but to us it was winning football with plenty of excitement and we were happy to sacrifice the lack of quality at times. Couple that with Warnock image we have developed our own “up and at em” image over the years which only a team like we have now can shake it off. It’s taken entering our 4th season playing it and doing it on the big stage for people to slowly start to sit up and take a bit of notice. I suspect it will take a decent finish this year to convert the majority but at least CW has us going in the right direction

Yes the BBC report pleasingly says that all those narrow minded pundits who have one view of us ought to shut up, we are a sum of so very much different from Bassett & Warnock. The Liverpool fans lot's admit it was us that made them look poor and were well impressed by us, on the HYS still lot's of dicks on though "oh they'll go down, hoofball" as for Man Utd fans total pricks.

Sadly all the negatives I've read have not been from the media but from our own fans on social media sites dedicated to Blades. I've read that Robinson isn't good enough, nor is McBurnie (who I'm reading isn't worth what we paid for him), not to mention the negatives about Henderson. I find this sad. New players need time and Wilder and Knill have got a tremendous track record of spotting players that might at first not appear good enough and making them into world beaters or at very least accomplished Premier league players. I wish some of our fans would show more trust in our management team and not make rash statements in public. Of course we were all disappointed yesterday but we should all be very proud too. We played the Champions of Europe and the best team lost. If there was any doubt before yesterday there should be none now. We have arrived.

Sadly all the negatives I've read have not been from the media but from our own fans on social media sites dedicated to Blades. I've read that Robinson isn't good enough, nor is McBurnie (who I'm reading isn't worth what we paid for him), not to mention the negatives about Henderson. I find this sad. New players need time and Wilder and Knill have got a tremendous track record of spotting players that might at first not appear good enough and making them into world beaters or at very least accomplished Premier league players. I wish some of our fans would show more trust in our management team and not make rash statements in public. Of course we were all disappointed yesterday but we should all be very proud too. We played the Champions of Europe and the best team lost. If there was any doubt before yesterday there should be none now. We have arrived.

Excellent post.
Agree...I’ve been slightly disappointed with most of our new signings so far.....not sure if McBurnie and Robinson are up to PL standard
But it’s early days. Also they are all still young and likely to improve.
More importantly all our new signings have a great attitude and work hard....so they deserve time and patience.
You only need to think back to Lundstrum 1st season, everyone wrote him off but look at him now.....so our new boys need our support.

Last edited:
First few games of Wilder season one I thought JOC was awful. First few games last season I thought Egan wasn’t an improvement on Stearman and a terrible bit of business.

I’ve learned my lesson. We may get a few frustrating results along the way, but I can’t wait to see what Wilder and Knill can mould from Robinson, McBurnie and the Moose.

Liverpool forums
They seem quite an educated bunch.....some are saying how they played so poorly against us....but even more are correcting them by saying that it was Sheff Utd and Chris Wilders tactics that made them look poor. Many are saying they didn’t realise we were this good...and no wonder we beat Everton last week. Quite a few are also saying we’re capable of helping them by taking points off the top 6. They all say that yesterday was the toughest match they’ve had all season and they were quite lucky but just about deserved their win.

Even Liverpool fans and many neutrals are saying how they rate Wilder and love listening to his honesty....which is so unlike other PL cliche managers.

Talksport radio
The presenter said he really enjoyed watching the Sheff U v Liverpool because it was refreshing to see the Liverpool stars struggling and shows the strength of the English league when newly promoted teams can perform so well. He said he was really impressed with Sheff `Utd and said he needed to apologise. He admitted that he was one of the pundits who tipped Sheff Utd to be relegation fodder but he said from what he’s seen we are more likely to finish comfortable mid table. He also said he now knows what all the fuss is about with Wilder and really rates him and likes him.

This (deserved) wider recognition might also be significant in attracting the kind of investment/sponsorship that the Prince has mentioned.

I thought McBurnie played well yesterday. He was everywhere getting stuck in and linking play between defence and attack. We just need a poacher a fox in the box alongside him. Billy or Moose.
mcburnie improved as the game went on i couldn’t help but feel he was getting the hang of it

Excellent post Sheffsteel, I haven't read/heard what you have, but it reflects what I felt about yesterday, we're quite good and very watchable.

I've had a lot of people this season (and last) who follow football quite closely, say some very complimentary things about us and it's so pleasing to hear. I think we're so conditioned to things always going wrong in the end, that we're just waiting for the fall. What if there isn't one, at least not any time soon?

Though tinged with great disappointment in the way we lost it , I don't think I have ever been more proud of my team as I was walking out of Bramall Lane yesterday. Cynics were predicting that Liverpool would get 7 or 8 like City did last week, but that was never going to happen with our bunch of players and manager. We went toe to toe with the Champions of Europe , and matched them all the way. Liverpool will not be more relieved walking away with a win than that all season. Forget the mistake by Hendo , he has won us many more points than he has lost us , we have proved again that we can live with the best , and have no reason to fear anyone. UTB

I can’t make up my mind how I feel about it. After the game I was gutted we didn’t get anything later I was really proud of how we’d played and given Liverpool such a game now I’m verging back to being annoyed that we should have got at least a point.
Bizarre but would almost have preferred Liverpool to have beaten us comfortably than what actually happened.

I can’t make up my mind how I feel about it. After the game I was gutted we didn’t get anything later I was really proud of how we’d played and given Liverpool such a game now I’m verging back to being annoyed that we should have got at least a point.
Bizarre but would almost have preferred Liverpool to have beaten us comfortably than what actually happened.
Agree. If we had been thrashed (and tbh I feared it), it would have been less frustrating than that result. I still feel gutted that we didn’t take at least a point - not helped by watching MOTD back just now!

Great game from us yesterday. And the comments from scousers on Roy’s view from confirm this. And we still haven’t been outplayed by anyone in this division. Largely down to what Wilder has achieved imo. The guy is just amazing.

Such a shame that we have just come out on the wrong side of a few of these close encounters. None of us want to look back at the end of this season ruing all those dropped points.

I mostly agree but I'll add a small caveat: I'm only this positive because of the points on the board.

Wilder's been spot on with his attitude in interviews in saying we played well for most of the game but big moments cost us. It's great being good losers but we can't be losers every week and be where we want to be. Now that we've got the appreciation of some of those who wrote us off it's time to start doing it by getting the results to match. It's hugely disappointing that of the goals we've let in only Leicester's second was what you might call unstoppable. All the others are from individual errors and we're better than that.

It's nice thinking we matched Liverpool for so much of the game and we should enjoy it. The bigger thing is that we've stuck eight points on the board. It needs to be 9 or 11 this time next week for us to keep enjoying it.

I don't want to be plucky underdogs putting up a good fight again. This time we want to get some wins.

It was a good performance and nice to get so much credit - but my overriding feeling is of disappointment and frustration that we contrived to lose a game that we shouldn’t have against the European Champions.

This radio presenter Will Gavin mentioned how it’s now the norm that PL managers dish out predictable cliched positives.

He said he found it strange how the recent Chelsea 1-2 defeat to Liverpool was seen as a big positive amongst the Chelsea fanbase.
Said that Lampard was smiling post match and raving about how they took the game to Liverpool 2nd half and deserved at least a draw. He seemed happy.

Mentioned that Everton played really well against Msn City but lost 1-3.
In the post match interview Marco Silva was really positive highlighting how they’d given Man City such a tough game. He also seemed happy.

Then he said compare those 2 reactions to Chris Wilder. They played 2 minutes of his post match interview where he said it’s no good patting yourselves on the back regards glorious defeat. He said he thought Wilders interview was fascinating and he’s impressed him every time he talks.
This Reading fan presenting slate night radio show said you can see that Chris Wilder is a winner and it’s refreshing to hear such honesty.
He agreed with Wilders attitude....said it’s a tough game but they are highly paid...so need to quickly learn from their mistakes.

It only means something if we take 3 points from Watford next week. We can’t keep being the plucky promoted team who keep playing well but losing. We need to take the confidence and do something with it.

Take a look at oddschecker premiership relegation odds. We have been firmly rooted as the favs/2nd favs to go down since we were promoted. After yesterday we are 5th favourite. It seems everybody is now finally taking note of the true Sheffield United under Wilder, and not just the Sheffield United of their subconscious thoughts.

We desperately need to get something next week though. That will give us even more confidence because at the end of the day it's how we do against the bottom teams that will determine our position at the end of the season.

Much the same on the part of 606 I heard tonight. I don't go for Robbie Savage much but his co-presenters were asked who were favourites to go down and Watford and Newcastle were both mentioned but the interesting thing was that the Mighty Blades didn't get any mention at all!

Seen lots of Man U fans on twitter yesterday saying how they expect to lose home and away against us. I can already see them demanding Wilder to be appointed if that does indeed happen. So much for being a gritty hoofball team with a dinosaur manager.

The Prince said last week that Chris Wilder is the face of the club.

He gets it.

In business Chris Wilder's ability on the PR front is worth millions.

Amazingly he's probably had no training. Just down to earth honest Sheffield talk. No BS.

Probably not tbh. Bit of a buzz about the place isn’t there ?

Hardly surprising when you consider that the 7 teams we have played thus far are in positions 1,3,6,7,9, 14 & 15 and no one has torn us a new one as yet 😀👍.

UTB

Hardly surprising when you consider that the 7 teams we have played thus far are in positions 1,3,6,7,9, 14 & 15 and no one has torn us a new one as yet 😀👍.

UTB

Remember the days when we’d win 3-0 one week then lose 0-5 the week after. We were always inconsistent and would always receive a tonking some point in the season. Well there’s an amazing but true stat.

The last time we lost by more then 1 goal was 51 (fifty one) matches ago, when we lost 0-3 away at Boro.
For over a year when ever we do lose....it’s always been a close game where we lose 1-0 or 2-1. No wonder the players have self belief.

Makes you wonder when was the last time in our history we’ve gone over 50 consecutive games without losing by more than 1 goal.
Has it even happened before in our history?

Back
Top Bottom