Harry McKirdy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Only has a year left on his Swindon Town contract.
Rumour up here is that a number of SPFL clubs could be looking at offering a fee.
He would be a Blades Legend If he can make the 'Step-up' to Championship level!. I'd buy him now.
The guy looks to have good all-round skill (inc SCORING GOALS) and he looks a bit of a character too!!, something we're not overly blessed with right now.

Anyone unsure or not seen/heard of McKirdy can/should take a look at him in the League 2 Semi-Final 2nd Leg tonight.
Though the Swindon team tired and Port Vale played better in the 2nd half of the 1st Leg, McKirdy scored 2 good goals and was easily the MotM.
Take a look at him tonight, (You can't mistake him - Built like a Racing-Snake!, 70's style pony-tail, socks rolled down around his ankles) and put your thoughts/comments on here afterwards.
Could he make the step-up to Championship level?
Could/would he fit into our First Team?
Could he be a 'Steal' of the close season for us!?

Anyone unsure or not seen/heard of McKirdy can/should take a look at him in the League 2 Semi-Final 2nd Leg tonight.
Though the Swindon team tired and Port Vale played better in the 2nd half of the 1st Leg, McKirdy scored 2 good goals and was easily the MotM.
Take a look at him tonight, (You can't mistake him - Built like a Racing-Snake!, 70's style pony-tail, socks rolled down around his ankles) and put your thoughts/comments on here afterwards.
Well I took a look and he hardly had a kick. Definitely dont want a player who laughs when he misses a pen in a play off shoot out!

Admittedly he looked very good in the first.leg.

Though I'm not a commentator, I think I put the 'Commentator's Curse' on him tonight!! :oops::rolleyes:😀😀
Gotta agree with you FriethBlade, he had a :tumbleweed: game tonight, but has been better most other times!. On the pen miss, his reaction didn't look good at all, but maybe just from embarrassment!?.
I still reckon he will be playing in a higher Div next season.

Though I'm not a commentator, I think I put the 'Commentator's Curse' on him tonight!! :oops::rolleyes:😀😀
Gotta agree with you FriethBlade, he had a :tumbleweed: game tonight, but has been better most other times!. On the pen miss, his reaction didn't look good at all, but maybe just from embarrassment!?.
I still reckon he will be playing in a higher Div next season.
He has definitely got loads of ability but he went from PV to Swindon last season so I wonder why a higher division club weren't in for him

Wears his socks down though so half our fanbase will hate him straight away….throw in the long hair and its a disaster waiting to happen.

Reminded me of the player Wilder signed from Northampton, Man bun, winger, no commitment. Forget his name, obviously made hell of an impression

Reminded me of the player Wilder signed from Northampton, Man bun, winger, no commitment. Forget his name, obviously made hell of an impression
Ricky Holmes was brought in as Duffy competition and couldn’t lay a glove on him.

He was injured a lot though to be fair to Holmes.
That’s true and by the time he’d got fit we were on a charge and he wasn’t displacing anyone. Very reminiscent of the Freeman situation I think.

I'll be honest and I'm sure I'm not alone, I've never heard of him but he looks a talent, he looks fast, can take a man on, has good control of the ball when running, described as having a great attitude and work-rate by the Swindon manager and can finish with both feet and isn't bad in the air either. He's their player of the season and was in the EFL team of the season. Seems he would be best described as a replacement for MGW, he may be able to play in the Duffy role but also seems to be someone that knows where the net is/times his runs really well so could play as an out an out forward too. He seems a bit of a maverick type player, one of those that as a youngster was really highly thought of coming through at Villa but wasn't able to translate the talent into performances at Villa's level and had to take a step back, go into the lower leagues and is now finding his feet.

Worth noting and I know he's different, Vardy went to Leicester at 25 from Fleetwood from the conference, it does happen where players can make that step up, it's whether we or someone else wants to take that gamble. I think our fans or fans of any club would love him if he can reproduce the Swindon form, but it's whether he can make the step up or whether we have the patience required for him to adjust to the step-up because we need really to be right up there next season.

Personally and I may be alone in this, I'd rather take a chance on a guy who has excelled in League 2, would walk over hot coals to play for us, and is OUR asset not someone else's, than sign a promising 21 year old, who's not played much football, on loan but has done well for someone's academy. On the flip side you've got MGW who we'd have never been able to sign permanently unless we got promoted but if someone that good is available then it's obviously a no brainer and he's almost single-handedly got us into the top 6 this season; not that others haven't made big contributions but MGW has won us so many games from nothing.

I think someone like McKirdy would be a relatively low cost signing, maybe £1m with low wages and he's in his prime at 25. I'm not saying we should sign him but I would like to think he's someone that if we don't want him than we can get someone of similar style because we need someone who can excite the fans, but more importantly to score and create from little, we know so many teams sit deep against us, players who can score and create can do something out of nothing, that's what we need really. It may be argued that Ndiaye is already that type but we've played MGW and Ndiaye this season of course.

Since we missed out on promotion I've had a look at the lower league top scorers and attacking mids, he's one of the best I've seen in terms of stats and the most similar to MGW - based on limited you tube watching! I know I'm no scout but he's the type of player I love to watch. An alternative in terms of attacking mids is Scott Twine as many have mentioned but the whole world wants him because he's younger and has done it in League One, they're talking £3m for him including several PL sides taking note. So McKirdy may be a more realistic target.

Anyway, here's the video of goals from McKirdy's goals

Booker4
You mention a figure of £1m I personally would not go beyond £100k

I’ve only seen him twice but he looks the quintessential lower league flair player. I’d leave him well alone.
He's scored 23 goals though John and 8 assists which means as a flair player that's pretty impressive. I doubt we'll be going for him though, over last two transfer windows has been loans and only one permanent signing, even though Hecky has said he prefers permanent signings. So if that's the same then the permanent players will likely be free transfers and for the squad strength with loans likely be the players brought into be the difference - I can't see us signing a loan player with loan fee etc to just be cover, unless it's in January and then it's a different story.

Booker4
You mention a figure of £1m I personally would not go beyond £100k
They're not going to let him go for £100,000 though and every signing is a gamble. What you don't ever hear though is how much was the loan fee for MGW, that could have been £500,000 for a player of that ability, maybe more. Who knows how good McKirdy will be if he moves higher up, but I can see him going to a lower end Championship team that will take the risk, Peterborough often sign this type of signing. Sometimes they come off, sometimes they don't.

He's scored 23 goals though John and 8 assists which means as a flair player that's pretty impressive. I doubt we'll be going for him though, over last two transfer windows has been loans and only one permanent signing, even though Hecky has said he prefers permanent signings. So if that's the same then the permanent players will likely be free transfers and for the squad strength with loans likely be the players brought into be the difference - I can't see us signing a loan player with loan fee etc to just be cover, unless it's in January and then it's a different story.

Yeah he’s got talent, but I don’t like his temperament (small sample size notwithstanding!), or his physical attributes. Just a punter’s opinion.

Maybe someone will take a chance and get lucky. But it’s rare that 25 year olds rise out of the bottom tier to be a force in the championship.

Swindon forward Harry McKirdy said on Instagram:
"I'll take the stick and the songs. But bottles, coins, lighters thrown [at] me, running on and hitting and kicking me/team-mates. Too far."

And his manager Ben Garner said:
"I don't know where we're going to as a country, but it's absolutely disgusting."

Looks like he knows where the goal is, and as much as I hate to say it, some of the goals reminded me of how Oli McB used to score against us, running into the space between two defenders.

Looks like he knows where the goal is, and as much as I hate to say it, some of the goals reminded me of how Oli McB used to score against us, running into the space between two defenders.
He seems to have better dribbling skills in his locker than McBurnie who seems to rarely do that for us now.

In a chat on site with 2 lads from the Bristol area and they say that (rumour has it!) Reading, Bristol City, Barnsley(!?), Peterborough, and QPR (as replacement for Ilias Chair, should he move in the close season!) are in for/monitoring McKirdy!.

Nothing heard regarding an interest from the Blades!.

In a chat on site with 2 lads from the Bristol area and they say that (rumour has it!) Reading, Bristol City, Barnsley(!?), Peterborough, and QPR (as replacement for Ilias Chair, should he move in the close season!) are in for/monitoring McKirdy!.

Nothing heard regarding an interest from the Blades!.
It wouldn't be us, I don't think we'll be in for him at all. He'll cost a fee and I can't see us spending whatever Swindon want, even if it's only £500,000 when we can get a loan from a PL club and that seems to be the strategy. Only if Berge goes can I see us spend money on a transfer signing, but I may be way off, who knows.

This loan policy is in spite of both Hecky and, ironically, the Prince both been on record as saying they prefer permanent signings! Don't ask me for an article but I recall the Prince said that when he did the interview not long after Wilder went and Hecky's said it in an interview since he's become our permanent manager.

Maybe when the Prince says permanent signings he includes those bought for £100,00 from someone's Academy or from a non-league team, both of which are at under 23/18 level.

Yeah he’s got talent, but I don’t like his temperament (small sample size notwithstanding!), or his physical attributes. Just a punter’s opinion.

Maybe someone will take a chance and get lucky. But it’s rare that 25 year olds rise out of the bottom tier to be a force in the championship.
He's a pound shop Bradley Dack

Back
Top Bottom