Harland Cafe.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Thanks, bartman, I was hoping the rumours were untrue. :(

It's been shutting for ages hasn't it pre virus.

We went on a Saturday night 18 months ago and I was told last year it was likely to close.

A brilliant cafe. I think they had problems with the landlord wanting to keep charging punitive rent . A great shame if it disappears as they offered real quality food in a very relaxing atmosphere. I wish them well in the future and hope they emerge from this carnage with a new venture. It was a real asset to life on John street And the area in general.

Love the place, go in with the boys before most games we come up for. I guess the problem is it may not get much use during the week ?

Go there every home game and have done for as long as I can remember. Real shame. We'll have to find somewhere else in 2021 when we're back at the Lane.

That's a great shame. If closure has been on the cards then this was inevitable, but The Harland was an established Blade's haunt, and I'd made a point of visiting it as often as I could. I hope that somehow it manages to return in some guise or other, but with the same quality threshold that made it a popular place, especially with Blades.

Only went once after it was recommended, not on a match day and was full, really good food and place, shame another small business has gone, virus or not

Only been in a few times but completely agree that it was a nice place. Very sad to hear of it's demise.

Hopefully the owners land on their feet somehow. So many lives are being wrecked by this.

Nice place usually. Last time we went in earlier this season the guy (who I presumed to be the owner) was a bit of a twat to my old man so we've not been in since.

My wife and I had our wedding reception there last January. Food and service were superb and they were especially helpful accommodating family members with food allergies. It was one hell of a party and everyone in both families raved about the place. Very sad to see it go. Would love to see them re-launch once things get back to normal.

I was hoping to stage an exhibition of my 60's photographs there, but sadly I'll have to find another venue.

Last time we went in earlier this season the guy (who I presumed to be the owner) was a bit of a twat to my old man so we've not been in since.

The ten year lease ran out this year and, according to comments in a local Facebook group when trying to lobby the landlord to grant them a new one, the owner of Harland Works was disinclined to enter into negotiations over renewing the lease due to a breakdown in relationship with their tenant. To that end, I think it was always going to close in its current location.

The ten year lease ran out this year and, according to comments in a local Facebook group when trying to lobby the landlord to grant them a new one, the owner of Harland Works was disinclined to enter into negotiations over renewing the lease due to a breakdown in relationship with their tenant. To that end, I think it was always going to close in its current location.
Given our last experience I am not in the least bit surprised to hear that.

Nice place usually. Last time we went in earlier this season the guy (who I presumed to be the owner) was a bit of a twat to my old man so we've not been in since.
I must admit he doesn't work well under pressure. Last home game of the season when we were promoted from league one, we waited an hour for food. When I went and asked, very politely how much longer it was likely to be as we wanted to get in the ground early he went off on one and slammed my money on the counter and told be to go elsewhere. I'd got over it by the start of the following season.

I can't help but think that hospitality was a bit of a misstep in choice of career then!

Most stressful job I've ever done.
Ever tried fence installation?

The news today is looking black , employment falling like a stone , economic future looks atrocious , it’s going to be a very different world when we do get back to work, I’ve been told by my company I’ve got to go to a meeting at the end of May , furloughed at the moment , put it this way I am not expecting I rise ☹

I can't help but think that hospitality was a bit of a misstep in choice of career then!

Most stressful job I've ever done.
I did mention that at the time. He's normally quite affable, but the place was rammed.

We've had an incredibly tone deaf staff email from our CFO, bemoaning a potential loss of between £162m and £70m income on projected figures of £780m and how we all must strive to put that right. I'm sure all the staff whose friends and family have lost their jobs completely will be incredibly sympathetic to "only" ~£600m hitting the coffers.

Oh, and by the way, you've all worked so hard to quickly set yourselves up working from home but we're delaying negotiations for your "cost of living" pay rise which for years has been nothing but. And probably the next round of "job release".

Still, at least we'll be making a saving on expenses: https://thetab.com/uk/sheffield/201...chancellor-expenses-ucu-strike-pensions-41362

Universities - all about the education.

We've had an incredibly tone deaf staff email from our CFO, bemoaning a potential loss of between £162m and £70m income on projected figures of £780m and how we all must strive to put that right. I'm sure all the staff whose friends and family have lost their jobs completely will be incredibly sympathetic to "only" ~£600m hitting the coffers.

Oh, and by the way, you've all worked so hard to quickly set yourselves up working from home but we're delaying negotiations for your "cost of living" pay rise which for years has been nothing but. And probably the next round of "job release".

Still, at least we'll be making a saving on expenses: https://thetab.com/uk/sheffield/201...chancellor-expenses-ucu-strike-pensions-41362

Universities - all about the education.

Sadly the days of Universities being solely education/research institutions are long gone it seems, more concerned about the coffers and chasing the enrolment of those important students from the far east. The missus works at the Uni and I've heard little other than restructuring and redundancy over the last few years as they look to streamline pretty much all support staff and the like - makes you gip reading about those higher up the chain that are clearly living a different life.

Back
Top Bottom