Happy Bouncing Day, Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BiggerBladeThanThou

Reaction score

A blog by a neutral American guy who attended the Steel City Derby on 24th September 2017 with his pearler of a video at the end.​

Agony and Ecstasy:
The 2017 Steel City Derby​

Perhaps the reason we go to football games is because we just might have an experience people will talk about for generations.​

We sit through countless forgettable affairs because someday we’re going to see a world-class game-winner, or a stunning upset, or a penalty kick hit a season-saving post, or some seismic shift in the power balance of the game.

Such a moment occurred in the second half of the 2017 Steel City Derby. I know I’ll never forget it, nor will fans of either Sheffield club, though one set will wish they could. All I know is, I was lucky enough to be there, and also to be taking a video when the moment arrived. But we’ll get to that.

First, especially for my American readers, please try to grasp what an English football rivalry is like. To be honest, you really can’t, because nothing like it exists in the States.

We have rivalries, but a game like Sheffield Wednesday vs Sheffield United feels more like tribal warfare. It’s generational. Old men and little kids and women and girls … everybody is all in, no moment is mediocre or unimportant, the entire stadium sings and responds to everything on the pitch. Life itself seems to hang in the balance.

When things go well, it’s pure bliss, and you aim all of your happiness at the enemy across the way. When they go badly, you slam your fists into the seat, curse your own players like dogs, or just stare into space, shocked as if you’ve just seen your grandmother killed.

It’s insane, of course; it’s just football, after all. But somehow it’s a lot more than that. It’s like our self-worth is based on how the boys in our colors do, and they cannot let us down. You can’t just let those fucking wankers in that other color feel any joy. Get after them, for fuck’s sake!

Outside the ground, everything seemed calm, even when I watched United fans arrive by bus at the Leppings Lane End. Inside, once the game started, it was a different story. The Wednesday crowd was like nothing I’ve ever felt; it was truly a time when I was glad to be a neutral. But I get it. When Portland loses to Seattle I don’t even want to go outside.

Here is a pregame sample, featuring their take on Jeff Beck’s “Hi Ho Silver Lining,” which they share with Wolverhampton Wanderers:

And then United scored, about three minutes in. Shock all around me, bouncing joy in the far end. Then a huge roar from the blue side, urging their boys on.

And then United scored again! Shock is replaced by vicious anger; in addition to making it 2-0, this was a stupid goal the defense never should have conceded. Now they’re all useless, can’t win a header or a second ball, can’t pick out a pass, and where is the fucking midfield? Fans were practically leaping out of their seats to wave their arms in disgust.

I was actually starting to worry about my neighbors finding out I’m a neutral. Already some of them were arguing with each other about standing up. It was “We can’t see” vs. “It’s the fucking derby,” and I was afraid I’d get drafted into the “sit yer ass down” army. Honestly, I didn’t care, I just wanted a proper game, but it was feeling genuinely ugly in the North Stand.

Then Wednesday scored, right at the end of the half. And the roar … unreal. The place was buzzing at halftime, and the Owls came out for the second half and got right to it. They dominated, with the crowd going berserk at every pause. When 30,000 people scream “Come on!” as one voice, the energy is almost scary.

Then they scored again! Absolute madness all around me. I was thrilled — not because I had any preference in the matter, but because everything I had come to see was happening — a proper game in a proper derby, a sports event like no other. The Owls fans started bouncing, and I started a video. The folks at home won’t believe this, I thought. This was a moment!

If you don’t … fucking bounce,
If don’t fucking bounce then you’re a Blade!
Just as I swung my phone around to the Kop end, I saw out of the corner of my eye that United had the ball and were moving down the field … and that is when an amazing moment became The Moment.

There is a second in that video when you can feel the whole Wednesday crowd think to itself, “Hang on … this could … no!” Then the net rippled, and then came the eruption in red. The slamming shut of one door and blasting open of another. Devastation and exultation switching places on a dime. Again, it’s stunned silence all around me, leaning towards anger, with chaos in the distance. Again, I’m worried they’ll pounce on me for not being angry. Good thing they have no idea how much I’m loving this!

Inevitably, here came the taunting chant from beyond the barricades:

You’re not bouncing,
You’re not bouncing,
You’re not bouncing anymore!
And then, a few minutes later, they scored again, a chipped slow roller that barely made it in, leading to another precious football moment — when you realize it’s gone in, you know the away fans are going to explode, but it takes just a moment for the sound to reach you. We need a name for that silence. It was shattered by barmy Blades in the Leppings Lane End, and the blue troops began to withdraw from the field in numbers, shaking their heads in disgust and flashing middle fingers at … well, let’s face it, their fellow townsfolk.

The starch was out of the Wednesday crowd, and the rest of the afternoon was a Blades party. They sang happy birthday to their manager (who was a fan and a player before), they sang players’ names, they sang how shit Wednesday were, they sang things I honestly couldn’t even make out.

They were still singing when I left, out into the streets where little pockets of Wednesday fans were bitching about this player or that tactical decision or the complete lack of urgency and talent. I can only imagine what joy the reds were sharing as they danced off into the streets. It’ll be a long few months for the blue side of Sheffield, until their chance to get back at the fuckers at Bramall Lane.

I just might have to come back for that one, as well. After all, this is what I come for. Isn’t it what we all come for?

https://youtu.be/N5KRynysXNE

Missed 1st two blades goals that’s to SYP.

After the pigs equalised I wanted to fuck off back to the pub, which lasted for less than 2mins thanks to the legend Mark Duffy… that’s how to answer back and then some ⚔️❤️

It was the moment for many Sheffielders to finally realise 'I am supporting the wrong team here'

Deluded, uncle-fucking, jizz-lobbing subnormals

pommpey
You see some big black bearded lolloping pig cunt bouncing like an absolute fucking bell end in one of the clips, then 60seconds later the big great wookie fuck has to sit down............SAWEEEEEEEET

When that ball gets played forward and Duffy runs onto it, I can't help myself going, "Ho!" and he goes one way "Hup!" then the other "Hup!" then it gets fucking RAMMED into the far corner and I am on my feet again, arms in the air. "YOU FUCKIN' BASTARD!"

My missus has watched it - forcibly - again three times this morning.

It is her lot being married to me

Sheffield Wednesday will never live this shit down. It is the mark of Cain on their stupid souls

pommpey

I always thought that the best goal I ever saw for us against the FILTH was Brownie’s sublime volley at the Lane End. I’ve now come round to thinking that it’s Duffy’s at the Sty.….. just to see them trampy bastards get silenced is priceless 😍

A moment of pure magic. It's like a reverse Mexican wave. Hearing the noise gradually stop as they realised what was happening is something I can see over and over and over again and never get tired of!

I don't think anyone realised at the time what a sliding doors moment it was. The optimism of the "Mester Chansiri" era faded to be replaced with docked points, relegation, oxidisation and general stagnation.

Meanwhile our bog roll Prince and League One no hopers have turned out quite nicely with an added sprinkling of Norwegian and Croatian!

A moment of pure magic. It's like a reverse Mexican wave. Hearing the noise gradually stop as they realised what was happening is something I can see over and over and over again and never get tired of!

I don't think anyone realised at the time what a sliding doors moment it was. The optimism of the "Mester Chansiri" era faded to be replaced with docked points, relegation, oxidisation and general stagnation.

Meanwhile our bog roll Prince and League One no hopers have turned out quite nicely with an added sprinkling of Norwegian and Croatian!
Bosnian?

I took my then 8 year son to Hillsborough for the first time that day.

5 years later I’m sat in the local at Ecclesfield and watching them all come in and taking pride with how much we fucked that football club that day

Regardless of teams this was just a magnificent derby. Made a thousand times better obviously by us winning.

If that isn't in Wilders top 3 wins of all time he has no business calling himself a Blade. Obviously he knew the gravity of that game but I honestly think Carlos did too. Both teams and manager looked to me like they understood the assignment and how much that match meant to every single fan in those seats.

A 2 goal lead, the home side equalising, the immediate response and the silence from the Wednesday fans, genuinely a great match. Topped off by an ex player bagging two goals. To this day I'll never knew how Brooks never got a goal.

Possibly the most sentimental I'll ever be over United but when you look back over the past 5 years since this game, that club has given us fans some very special moments. Some fucking frustrating ones as well but for me that makes it more special. Wednesday can talk about attendances and "massive" all they like but they would have got rid of Chanser in a second to have the 5 years we've had.

Talking of 2-4’s, it’s nearly 24 years since they were last in the Prem. 24 years before the year 2000 (when they were last in Prem) was 1976 😂

Talking of 2-4’s, it’s nearly 24 years since they were last in the Prem. 24 years before the year 2000 (when they were last in Prem) was 1976 😂
Using that logic, 22 years is 1978. That's the difference today, never mind in 2 years. That's bad. Yet still massive.

It was the moment for many Sheffielders to finally realise 'I am supporting the wrong team here'

Deluded, uncle-fucking, jizz-lobbing subnormals

pommpey
Love it !!

Back
Top Bottom