Greatest Loan Signings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Who was Sheffield United's greatest loan signing?

• Jon Harley - (2002/03)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Dean Henderson - (2018/19 - 2019/20)

Votes: 142 57.0%
  • John Brayford - (2013/14)

Votes: 32 12.9%
  • Morgan Gibbs-White - (2021/22)

Votes: 45 18.1%
  • Tommy Doyle - (2022/23)

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • James McAtee - (2022/23)

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Gary Cahill - (2007/08)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Conor Coady - (2013/14)

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Yes he was a world beater for rovrum, shite for us in a shit team though. Can't remember what happened to him did he go back to rovrum.

1980s loans:

1979-80 Viv Busby, Terry Poole,
1980-1 Don Givens
1982-3 Trevor Ross, Tony Towner
1983-4 Trevor Ross (again)
1984-5 Dennis Mortimer
1986-7 Andy Kennedy, Dean Glover, Mark Dempsey (later signed permanently)
1987-8 Roger Hansbury, Hans Segers, Graham Benstead (later signed permanently), Simon Webster (later signed permanently)
1988-9 John Moore, Vaughan Ryan, John Gannon (later signed permanently)

Glover, Mortimer, Kennedy were the pick of the bunch who didn’t sign permanently.
Out of all those mentioned Simon Webster easily the best, good player that lad. Didn't he break his leg.

Realistically (in modern times), it's Hendo or MGW.

But I remember Brayford being a bright spot in such a dark period, genuinely think those league 1 away days where every single person had a Brayford mask on, we drew 1-1 or 0-0, were some of the best laughs I've ever had at a match.

I forgot about Matt Phillips. I'd considered Greg Halford, but I felt he wasn't quite up there with the others on the list for the impact he made. I'd also considered Andy Reid as we looked like we might be able to fight relegation when he was on loan. He played like a captain, rallied the troops, looked like he cared, and was clearly our best player. As soon as he left relegation was nailed on. A very short but impactful loan.

The man city boys would need to come back and up us to 9th in the league to get close to Henderson and what he did. Losing him and bringing in a shaky to start with Ramsdale got us relegated
Henderson did well behind a formidable defence. Losing JOC was much more a factor in our relegation in my opinion.

Henderson did well behind a formidable defence. Losing JOC was much more a factor in our relegation in my opinion.
Ramsdale was shaky for half the season and let in shots that Henderson wouldn't imo. That confidence he gave would have been even bigger in lockdown era football

Ramsdale was shaky for half the season and let in shots that Henderson wouldn't imo. That confidence he gave would have been even bigger in lockdown era football
Not disputing Ramsdales early form for us. But with JOC in the team he wouldn’t have been as exposed. Hendo was very good I just think JOC missing was the key factor in our relegation.

Who are the 3 people who voted Gary Cahill please, so I can block them

We had Bruce Rioch on loan briefly in 1979 and we looked good - I remember being at Newcastle and winning 3-1. I thought that he was going to be the man to lead us back to the first division. Not the last time I was wrong.

Just now, during the Enda Stevens thread, it got me thinking about Jon Harley, and it reminded me of how good he was when we first had him on loan.

So just for fun, let's have a look a back at other great loan signings and see if we can come up with who was the best loan signing that we've ever had?

Feel free to debate, add others or just bring back good memories. Some players came on loan on more than one occassion so I've highlighted the season when we saw them at their best for us.
Surprisingly hard choice, this - MGW was such a standout player last season, head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, but we got f**k all for it so can't really pick him.

JayMac and TomDoy both in with a shout, but ultimately we went up thanks to Iliman's awesomeness.

Brayford was a shining light in dark times, who's still posting Blades-friendly tweets half a decade later, but more cult hero than greatness.

Without Hendo, however, I'm not sure we would have gone up in 18/19 - those 7 clean sheets on the bounce,at a crucial point in the season, yes the defence was outstanding but you don't keep those 7 clean sheets on the bounce with an average keeper. So it's Hendo for me.

Worst loan signing is an Easy Question.
Givens. the cunt who missed that penalty that sent us down to the old fourth division.

Not an easy choice but all those clean sheets that had such an impact on our success means that Dean Henderson gets my vote.

Worst loan signing is an Easy Question.
Givens. the cunt who missed that penalty that sent us down to the old fourth division.

Whatever you think of Givens as a player, you can't blame someone for missing a pen. He stood up and was winning to take it while others backed away.

Maybe. I think both can be true - Henderson did have a great defence in front of him and JOC was clearly a massive loss, but also Henderson was a huge part of the unit working so well.

I think the defence lost confidence in Ramsdale after his shaky start, I don’t think they ever had any doubt about Hendo though.

Whatever you think of Givens as a player, you can't blame someone for missing a pen. He stood up and was winning to take it while others backed away.
John Mathew's was nominated I think but he had never taken a penalty in his life so you can blame him for refusing. Yes it's easy to slag Don Givens off, I've done it myself for many a year but you can't blame him for the relegation we were fucking awful

Back
Top Bottom