Grappling in the box at corners

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

west_yorks_blade

PL next season, Europe following season
Reaction score
Every corner in every game there is some grappling, grabbing, shirt holding, blocking etc, from both sets of players.
Applying the letter of the law, the ref could / should give at least 12 penalties a game, every game. But they don't, because it's part and parcel of defenders v attackers and they turn a blind eye.

Well ..... Except when it's a 'top six' side, behind at home.

Maguire is a big unit and fell down like a dainty 13 year old girl during one of those dozen a game contact incidents. So of course the ref goes into 'shooting fish in a barrel' mode and gives the pen. Easy to do, easy to justify. We'll just overlook all the other times in the same game that rule wasn't applied.

Yes I know they scored anyway as he blew the whistle, let's not get into that.
Its just plain wrong that just like VAR there is no consistency on this decisions.

Was a very soft pen but the ref effectively disallowed a goal by blowing so quickly so it evened out instantly. Turns out 2 wrongs do make a right.

Trusty should concentrate on watching the ball and competing in the air against the man he is marking. Frequently he is not even facing the cross or corner. It isn't always about winning the header but stopping a free header. Yes there is always some grappling and pushing but if I were a referee I would always give a penalty/free kick against the player who is doing that and not looking towards the ball. If we are going to stick with Trusty we need someone to work on this with him. I see Jags is just doing a bit of TV work. Get him to our summer training camp.

Trusty should concentrate on watching the ball and competing in the air against the man he is marking. Frequently he is not even facing the cross or corner. It isn't always about winning the header but stopping a free header. Yes there is always some grappling and pushing but if I were a referee I would always give a penalty/free kick against the player who is doing that and not looking towards the ball. If we are going to stick with Trusty we need someone to work on this with him. I see Jags is just doing a bit of TV work. Get him to our summer training camp.

How no-one has worked on this with Trusty up to now is inconceivable in my mind.

It's been happening every single game and it was bound to cost us a penalty at one point or another.

Its one thing to be holding someone's shirt as you try and leverage yourself to be first to get to the header.

Its a complete other thing when u have no interest in heading the ball and are only interested in grappling/blocking a player.

All teams do it but we are by far the worse for it from what I’ve seen, every single corner we could give a penalty away so was only a matter of time.

It probably gets overturned by VAR if not for the ball going in the net just after the whistle was blown. If the penalty doesn't stand, that goal doesn't stand either, and it goes back for a drop ball or whatever... no matter what the video shows, nobody's signing off on the shitstorm that decision would trigger.

How no-one has worked on this with Trusty up to now is inconceivable in my mind.

It's been happening every single game and it was bound to cost us a penalty at one point or another.

Its one thing to be holding someone's shirt as you try and leverage yourself to be first to get to the header.

Its a complete other thing when u have no interest in heading the ball and are only interested in grappling/blocking a player.
He's probably been told to do it by the manager/coaches.

Every corner in every game there is some grappling, grabbing, shirt holding, blocking etc, from both sets of players.
Applying the letter of the law, the ref could / should give at least 12 penalties a game, every game. But they don't, because it's part and parcel of defenders v attackers and they turn a blind eye.

Maguire is a big unit and fell down like a dainty 13 year old girl during one of those dozen a game contact incidents. So of course the ref goes into 'shooting fish in a barrel' mode and gives the pen. Easy to do, easy to justify. We'll just overlook all the other times in the same game that rule wasn't applied.

Its just plain wrong that just like VAR there is no consistency on this decisions.
Gerrard against Liverpool too away. Pretty much gave the ref a nod and a wink and unfortunately Kozluk fell for it.

Same season as ‘intent’ TM Rob Styles.

Meanwhile Van Dyke was allowed to do what he wanted at BDTBL and McAtee being shoved over by the other centre back was also apparently fair game!

It’s just such nonsense isn’t it?

It’s just plain wrong that just like VAR there is no consistency on this decisions.
Maguire did a little jump in a trajectory than in no way was warranted by the minimal contact,then dived into an imaginary swimming pool.

It probably gets overturned by VAR if not for the ball going in the net just after the whistle was blown. If the penalty doesn't stand, that goal doesn't stand either, and it goes back for a drop ball or whatever... no matter what the video shows, nobody's signing off on the shitstorm that decision would trigger.
That would have been hilarious if the penalty and the goal were disallowed. Unfortunately, it looked blatant to me.

All referees ignore foul throw ins, free kicks/off sides are taken from wherever a team wants to take them from. All the holding at corners should be penalised. Crowding the ref at any decision, which was supposedly outlawed has gone out of the window.
These people are not adhering to the laws if the game because they are weak and incompetent. It's about time we got our game back and stopped pandering to these cheats who are ruining our game.

I text a Man U mate after the pen and said that Maguire needs to speak to the strength and conditioning coach if he’s that weak.

Not a pen in 95% of cases but it should be.

If a player is looking at holding the man instead of looking at the ball then just blow for a pen, it would soon stop the behaviour. Will never happen though.

Trusty gets pulled by the ref for a chat at every single corner. Hope he’s learned his lesson by getting punished for it

I text a Man U mate after the pen and said that Maguire needs to speak to the strength and conditioning coach if he’s that weak.

Not a pen in 95% of cases but it should be.

If a player is looking at holding the man instead of looking at the ball then just blow for a pen, it would soon stop the behaviour. Will never happen though.

Another fun part of this is the logical conclusion that goals will need to be disallowed if an attacker does the equivalent amount of grappling when scoring a goal.

Obviously it’d be a huuuge risk for defenders to roll over and beg the referee in the way Maguire did last night.

The problem as I see it is that the grappling starts before the ball is in play. For some reason which I don't fully inderstand, the refs never punish other than telling them to cut it out. If a player took a swing at someone with the ball not in play they would surely be punished?
There was one occasion yesterday when the ref tried to part 2 players who were grappling but they carried on whilst he was talking to them - I would say caution them both - hopefully it would soon stop it in future

I think a lot of it is down to the outcome, a shirt hold or block/grapple etc like the OP says happens at every corner, the referee has 3 options 1) Give a penalty - but how can you justify x is more deserving than y and who started first. 2) Give a free kick to the defence again in that situation how can you justify x is more deserving than y and who started first or 3) Ignore it as its easier and less its obvious in their eyes it should be a penalty then give it at that point. Ultimately the "soft penalty" which in the Laws of the game doesn't exist it should either be a free kick inside the penalty area or not so if you give it on the half way line you should be giving it in the penalty area gives a direct goal scoring option.

I personally think that the Laws could be adapted and it would be nice to have a change to have a "lesser evil" there could be one way, the penalty could be given and taken where the the goal line meets the penalty area as an indirect free kick with players on the edge of the area, the ball is played in and there is a goalscoring chance but not a clear one as 1 vs 1 with the keeper as is currently the case, I would also like to see "penalty goals" given what I have never been able to fully understand is if handballs and stops the ball from being crossed in when inside the box its a penalty however the same is also the case if he is on the goal line and stops the ball from crossing the line, instead of giving a penalty, "denying obvious goalscoring opportunities" through fouls including handball should be giving the team affected a goal and a yellow card to the offender.

He should concentrate on actually being a defender. He's dog meat.

Seem to recall maguire shoving callum o hare down in the box and then out of play last Sunday....

Result, man utd goal kick..

Back
Top Bottom