Grammar Gripe

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

dkc Blade

Reaction score
Att: person who writes SUFC press releases.

http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10418~2526435,00.html

“Club” should not be capitalized unless used as a proper noun. E.g. “Sheffield United Football Club” is one of the oldest clubs”.

Sorry to be pedantic but things like this bug me. But I suppose we can’t afford a copywriter now we've signed Beattie :)

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Also, square brackets are generally used when the author adds explanatory material to a quote. E.g. “I was at the game on Saturday [against Carlisle United] and the fans were singing my name”

Sorry, I'll stop now

Oh how those winter nights must fly by...............

:)

UTB

Perhaps the entire quote from BT is copy/pasted directly from an email (from the footballer) - which would actually cover all the mistakes.

“Club” should not be capitalized unless used as a proper noun. E.g. “Sheffield United Football Club” is one of the oldest clubs”.

Sorry to be pedantic but things like this bug me. But I suppose we can’t afford a copywriter now we've signed Beattie :)

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Also, square brackets are generally used when the author adds explanatory material to a quote. E.g. “I was at the game on Saturday [against Carlisle United] and the fans were singing my name”

Sorry, I'll stop now

Wouldn't you accept it as shorthand? I mean in something like, "a spokesman for the Club said...." rather than just a reference to the club in question.

I'm with you on the square brackets, though.

It's like reading the complete works of Shakespeare compared to the outpourings of the talentless fuck-muffins who scribble base prose in crayon for the Star, a newspaper that manages to look like it's been proofread by one-eyed chimps and edited with a knife and fork.

Wouldn't you accept it as shorthand? I mean in something like, "a spokesman for the Club said...." rather than just a reference to the club in question.

It has been acceptable for many years, when referring to a particular company, club, etc. to use capitals.

e.g: "Bladesair made a profit of £2 million in 2010. A spokesman for the Airline said...."

However, I agree that in the Beattie release the use of 'Club' has gone a bit ott.

It has been acceptable for many years, when referring to a particular company, club, etc. to use capitals.

e.g: "Bladesair made a profit of £2 million in 2010. A spokesman for the Airline said...."

However, I agree that in the Beattie release the use of 'Club' has gone a bit ott.

It's been accepted for many years, but it's never been acceptable.

Sorry, I'll stop now

What really annoys me is when people use the letter "z" when using words like "capitalized". Sheffield United is an English team and this website in based in England, therefore the letter "s" such as "capitalised"

Sorry to be pedantic but things like this bug me. But I suppose we can’t choose the supporters we want now we're in league 1

Sorry, I'll stop now

What really annoys me is when people use the letter "z" when using words like "capitalized". Sheffield United is an English team and this website in based in England, therefore the letter "s" such as "capitalised"

Sorry to be pedantic but things like this bug me. But I suppose we can’t choose the supporters we want now we're in league 1

Sorry, I'll stop now

"league 1" should be capitalised. You're also missing some full stops.

Got to be the odious 'would of...' Even the most illiterate oik knows this is wrong, but keeps using it 'to be different'. Ah, bless.

Sorry, I'll stop now

Oxford English Dictionary says it should be "ize" and lists "ise" only as an alternative. Although "ize" is favoured in America, it's not an Americanism.

I agree with you though - I much prefer "ise".

Got to be the odious 'would of...' Even the most illiterate oik knows this is wrong, but keeps using it 'to be different'. Ah, bless.

I know my English isn't great, but that's the one I notice most often. I can't remember seeing it ten years ago. Are you saying people write it wrongly on purpose? How did that start?

It come from speach I assume

Could have become could've.

illiterate oiks think that this is actually could of and write it as such.

A footballer's favourite is: "He's went..." (as in "He's went and headed the ball.")

Alan Shearer does it all the time. Brian Robson did it. Maybe it's a Geordie thing but I've often heard it used by footballers.

Also, what in heaven are "early doors"?

How about the loss of the adverb, as in "the lad done brilliant" all started IMHO by Emlyn Hughes but getting more pervasive. I find myself adding "ly" on the end of people's speech when they miss it off and even the teaching staff at our local school do it - grrrrrrrrrrr.

I know my English isn't great, but that's the one I notice most often. I can't remember seeing it ten years ago. Are you saying people write it wrongly on purpose? How did that start?

You have to remember that England is one of the very few countries in the world where actually knowing something is seen as elitist and where ignorance is a source of pride.

My current top 5 most annoying grammatical errors:

1. Incorrect use of apostrophe. I refuse to go into any establishment which has a sign with such mistakes. You see a lot of “Daves Kebab’s” or “Christmas menu’s are now available”. No excuse really.
2. People writing “more then” instead of “more than”. This is quite a recent one which I used to think was just mistaken typing. It’s now so common that I have decided it is clearly just gross stupidity.
3. Misuse of “affect” and “effect.
4. Writing “should of” and “could of”. My wife is a teacher and corrects her pupils who use it in their speech. It’s now so common in speech that people think it is ok to write it like this.
5. Mixing up “lend” and “borrow”. Someone asked me the other day at work if they could “lend my stapler”. They weren’t happy with my response.

Rant over for now!

'lend' and 'borrow'

Why do football clubs 'loan' (incoming) players and never borrow them?

1. Incorrect use of apostrophe. I refuse to go into any establishment which has a sign with such mistakes. You see a lot of “Daves Kebab’s” or “Christmas menu’s are now available”. No excuse really.

The pubs round us have all started putting boards out on the surrounding roads and, to your point, one of them says "New Manager's" which has just put me right off as, rightly or wrongly, I have made a judgment on what it will be like.

Even back at Abbey Lane, "I'll win ya" always got me cringing. Unless of course I was some kind of prize?
And There always abusing they're version of 'there' over their.

Don't get me started on the misuse of Thee/thou interchangeably and the general replacement of both with 'you'. And replacement of the 'þ' syllable with 'y' because printing presses don't have the character Tsk :p Anyone would think English was a living language that continually changes.

Stick you're apo'strophe's up ur ar'se.
;)

Oh, and there's always the incorrect use of "while" to replace "until" which really confused me when I first started spending time in Sheffield. :p

Just remembered how much I also dislike the use of the word "gotten". This word makes no sense, "got" is already past tense, so why turn it into "gotten"?

Gotten is the American way.

Their, They're and there, lend & borrow mix up's always make me cringe too. It was thumped into us on an almost daily basis at school. These days it seems as though it's not.

I only came out with a CSE 2 in English and yet my spelling isn't that bad at all.

( I have to confess that I do misuse "while" instead of "until")

I think I remember reading somewhere (probably on one of these boards when this has been debated before) that "gotten" is actually an archaic version and was actually exported to America from here, it's just that we stopped using it.

It's interesting as to what is "correct" and what is local use, the classic being "while" for "until", though "lend" for "borrow" may creep into that category as I've heard it extensively for many years.

My current top 5 most annoying grammatical errors:

2. People writing “more then” instead of “more than”. This is quite a recent one which I used to think was just mistaken typing. It’s now so common that I have decided it is clearly just gross stupidity.
3. Misuse of “affect” and “effect.
4. Writing “should of” and “could of”. My wife is a teacher and corrects her pupils who use it in their speech. It’s now so common in speech that people think it is ok to write it like this.
5. Mixing up “lend” and “borrow”. Someone asked me the other day at work if they could “lend my stapler”. They weren’t happy with my response.

Rant over for now!

Sod all that, I want to know where I can order from a Christmas menu!

I don't mind a bit of loose grammar, just as long as people are attempting to use it in the first place. If you can write in a way that gets your message across in the right way, then i don't see the problem.

What does annoy the crap out of me is text speak, it does my bastard box in.

"Can I get a...." instead of "Please can/may I have..."

Somehow can't imagine discussions on correct diction going on at OwlsTalk...

Back
Top Bottom