Goalkeeper situation

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lmaobob

Wind Up Merchant
Reaction score
Tried to hold my tongue on it but feel like it needed to be pointed out.

Most fans were desperate to replace Wes in the January transfer window and for some it was a case of "anyone but him". Therefore fans were delighted with the signing of Grbic yet never seeing him play one minute of professional football.

Now after only a few games, fans are desperate for Wes to return. My god we're a fickle bunch aren't we. Sort it aht.

Most fans were desperate to replace Wes in the January transfer window and for some it was a case of "anyone but him". Therefore fans were delighted with the signing of Grbic yet never seeing him play one minute of professional football.

Now after only a few games, fans are desperate for Wes to return. My god we're a fickle bunch aren't we. Sort it aht.
To be fair most who'd seen the stats, highlights and reviews weren't expecting much from Grbic. I was never overly excited signing A.Madrids number 2.

I never wanted him replacing because money wise we were not going to get much better. So as above its been a waste of money.

I'm not sure it's fair to call the fans in general fickle over this.

Wes has been rightly well supported over his performances getting to the PL. Many understandably thought we probably needed an upgrade for this level but knew finances meant we probably had to focus elsewhere.

Once Wilder decided we needed to act due to Wes not renewing, then getting behind Grbic was the way to go.

I feel for him so far but the fact is that he's done little or nothing to instil confidence.

Thinking we needed an upgrade on Wes in the PL and now not being impressed by Grbic's performances doesn't feel fickle to me.

To break the mould a little bit, I feel wes had a wobble somewhat, however I don't believe him to be a terrible keeper. He also wasn't helped by the shambolic defending in front of him at times.....

That said, I never had confidence in Davies as a PL understudy and did agree that a new keeper was required to challenge / overtake Wes. My preference however was for the Rotherham keeper, who I had actually seen and thought might be half decent. It's hard to say if he would have turned out much better, what with a season to forget in a poor Millers team.

There's nothing fickle about being disappointed in the performances of Grbic.

Silly post.

Wes has reached the point all keepers do where they start making regular routine errors. That doesn't take away from what he's done with us. If there was little prospect of renewing him on a short term deal in line with his diminishing status and advancing age the club were right to look for a replacement.

The replacement hasn't covered himself in glory so far but that's a different matter. As is who signed him and what the transfer structure is going forward. We may as well give Grbic the games between now and the end of the season. If he doesn't improve hopefully his pedigree helps us to move him on.

I don't think many fans are "desperate" for Wes to return at all. Most are just pointing out the obvious that Grbic does not appear to be much of an upgrade.

Wes will never be anywhere near Premier League quality. We ballsed up by not replacing him in the summer and we ballsed up again by not bringing in anyone any better in January.

GK should be a priority in the Summer. Wes, Davies and Amissah are all out of contract and shouldn't be offered new deals. If we get an offer of anywhere near the £2.5m we paid for Grbic then let him go, in fact if we can get half our money back let him go. Spend the rumoured £1m release clause for Johansson and look for an experienced No2......(but not Danny Ward...!).

Matt Ryan maybe as No2, out of contract at AZ in the summer?

Wes has reached the point all keepers do where they start making regular routine errors. That doesn't take away from what he's done with us. If there was little prospect of renewing him on a short term deal in line with his diminishing status and advancing age the club were right to look for a replacement.

The replacement hasn't covered himself in glory so far but that's a different matter. As is who signed him and what the transfer structure is going forward. We may as well give Grbic the games between now and the end of the season. If he doesn't improve hopefully his pedigree helps us to move him on.

If we have any ambitions to win any more games this season we should not give Grbic game time.

Wait. So it's the fans fault Grbic is terrible?

Who are all the people saying "anyone but Wes"? I saw a lot of "a better keeper could help"

Personally think he needs time with the team to learn/bond. There was a moment in one of the last 2 or 3 games during a freekick, when you could hear over the in-stadium audio, him calling out to the wall 'McBurnie' then giving instructions. Something about the way he said it made it sound like theses are colleagues, not close teammates. A Keeper needs to impose themselves and he sounded timid and unsure of himself. Time with the team, socially, in a Preseason ( I use that word cautiously) will hopefully see him gel more with his teammates and give him the confidence, I think he needs to thrive.

If we have any ambitions to win any more games this season we should not give Grbic game time.
I actually look forward to seeing what new calamity he will achieve in a game, we've had general flapping, sitting down to stop shot, watching the ball open mouthed as the ball flies past him into the net, twatting the ball against the on rushing forward leading to a goal, I reckon we are due a shot squirming through his legs into the net??

Wes let us down a few times BUT I never thought before a game "how many will he fuck up today?". I do now with Grbic between the posts.

I did, Wes was/is a liability at this level.....as is Grbic.

There's no right answer, we have what we have at the moment.

One thing however, if Wes is showing in training that he is looking better than Grbic then Wilder needs to swallow his pride and give him the shirt, finishing 19th instead of 20th is worth an extra £2.3m so more or less what we paid for Grbic!

In our defence it was a bit like Bruce Forsyths Play Your Cards Right.

Bruce: 'Now then Bladesmen will your next keeper be higher or lower than a Wes?'

Bladesmen: "Got to be higher Brucie cos it can't be any fucking lower.'

Brucie: ' Ooohhhh - it's lower than a Wes. Nice to see you to see you nice now off back to the lower leagues with you.'

I don't think many fans are "desperate" for Wes to return at all. Most are just pointing out the obvious that Grbic does not appear to be much of an upgrade.

Wes will never be anywhere near Premier League quality. We ballsed up by not replacing him in the summer and we ballsed up again by not bringing in anyone any better in January.

GK should be a priority in the Summer. Wes, Davies and Amissah are all out of contract and shouldn't be offered new deals. If we get an offer of anywhere near the £2.5m we paid for Grbic then let him go, in fact if we can get half our money back let him go. Spend the rumoured £1m release clause for Johansson and look for an experienced No2......(but not Danny Ward...!).

Matt Ryan maybe as No2, out of contract at AZ in the summer?
You'd think Ryan would be no1 all day. Would have been happy with him in January!

No one is desperate for Wes to return.

Everyone is desperate to get rid of both and get 2 new goalkeepers in.

Bruce: 'Now then Bladesmen will your next keeper be higher or lower than a Wes?'

Brucie: ' Ooohhhh - it's lower than a Wes. Nice to see you to see you nice now off back to the lower leagues with you.'
Not "Didn't he do well" for either of them🙄😅

Nothing for a pair..... not in this game!

Wes was ok, Grbic is dog shit, nothing fickle about it.

When you look at Wes's stats and performances there's no argument.

He isn't up to this level and we needed to upgrade in January.

I'm not going to criticise fans for making the entirely reasonable assumption that whoever scouted his replacement might have had some kind of basic clue what they were meant to be looking for.

Personally think he needs time with the team to learn/bond. There was a moment in one of the last 2 or 3 games during a freekick, when you could hear over the in-stadium audio, him calling out to the wall 'McBurnie' then giving instructions. Something about the way he said it made it sound like theses are colleagues, not close teammates. A Keeper needs to impose themselves and he sounded timid and unsure of himself. Time with the team, socially, in a Preseason ( I use that word cautiously) will hopefully see him gel more with his teammates and give him the confidence, I think he needs to thrive.
But he doesn't LOOK like a keeper, the basics just aren't there,everything about him looks wrong

Back
Top Bottom