Gamechanger.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
Gamechanging ownership, we'll see. Gamechanging signing, within the realms of possibility.

May I suggest Paterson of Notts Forest.

There are reasons why not, of course there are, but to actually change the scenario, we need to persuade a club and a player that such a deal adds up.

Pearce has an ego. He will want all his own players. Paterson only figures on the bench these days, though he started at Hillsborough.

Quality striker who would transform us. Not beyond our means, surely. If he is beyond our means then we are all wasting our time.

Would be exactly what we need but he is definitely one of the core group of strikers that Pearce wants in his match day squad so no chance of us getting him on loan.

We are still getting obsessed about strikers when it doesn't matter if you have Falcao upfront if you don't create chances. People need to get used to the type of team we will be under Clough. No game will be over for us until the whistle final whistle. We won't win games 2 or 3 nil, at least for the fist half the season. This team needs to evolve and it will mean more games like Saturday until it completes.

We are still getting obsessed about strikers when it doesn't matter if you have Falcao upfront if you don't create chances. People need to get used to the type of team we will be under Clough. No game will be over for us until the whistle final whistle. We won't win games 2 or 3 nil, at least for the fist half the season. This team needs to evolve and it will mean more games like Saturday until it completes.

Surely that makes a finisher more important? If we are creating very limited chances, we need to make sure those chances go in!

A good striker should always be able to fashion a chance out of nothing, if the players aren't creating then you've got to be able to make your own chance and take it. Right place right time and be mobile.

Paterson usually plays wide left. He's right footed and likes to dribble into the box like Murphy.

Surely that makes a finisher more important? If we are creating very limited chances, we need to make sure those chances go in!

The problem is that the striker in this system is expected to bring in others. He has more duties than being a goalscorer. How many chances did Baxter have on Saturday? or any other forward player for that matter.

A good striker should always be able to fashion a chance out of nothing, if the players aren't creating then you've got to be able to make your own chance and take it. Right place right time and be mobile.

Sounds expensive so you can write that off.

The problem is that the striker in this system is expected to bring in others. He has more duties than being a goalscorer. How many chances did Baxter have on Saturday? or any other forward player for that matter.

I appreciate our problems lie further than just the striker situation. However a Baldock, Wilson, Agard type would score goals at this level in any system as they can create goals for themselves. Baxter is so creative, but he is often wasted due to lack of movement in front of him. Someone in the ilk of the above names would score goals alongside Baxter I'm convinced.

Seems chezzy blade has been usurped in the serial thread starter for the sake of it awards.

If we aren't creating many chances doesn't that tell you a striker isn't our main problem?

If we aren't creating many chances doesn't that tell you a striker isn't our main problem?

2 birds, one stone. Without covering old ground, the best strikers we've had in recent years have created goals for themselves and others. It's about prioritising, personally I'd love us to bring in a winger, a creative CM (potentially Wallace) and a striker. However, the top of the priority list has to be a striker no doubt.

2 birds, one stone. Without covering old ground, the best strikers we've had in recent years have created goals for themselves and others. It's about prioritising, personally I'd love us to bring in a winger, a creative CM (potentially Wallace) and a striker. However, the top of the priority list has to be a striker no doubt.

Your doing it again. No doubt to you obviously but it clearly isn't that black and white. You create 10 chances a game then you need a good striker. If you only create 2-3 good chances a game how do you know you don't already have a decent striker in the club? No one has gone around missing howlers from my memory. I'm not saying that is the clear answer but I think it is nothing like as clear cut as some state.

Problem you have is strikers come and go from our club having not really had a fair chance to show if they are good enough or not. You create chances, you score goals. You don't create chances hey, guess what happens.

Shows you how we miss Blackman because he could score goals. But we sold him then sacked Wilson. Great moves eh?

To prove my point, Forte is rubbish. Put him in a side creating chances and hey presto......

Your doing it again. No doubt to you obviously but it clearly isn't that black and white. You create 10 chances a game then you need a good striker. If you only create 2-3 good chances a game how do you know you don't already have a decent striker in the club? No one has gone around missing howlers from my memory. I'm not saying that is the clear answer but I think it is nothing like as clear cut as some state.

Problem you have is strikers come and go from our club having not really had a fair chance to show if they are good enough or not. You create chances, you score goals. You don't create chances hey, guess what happens.

Shows you how we miss Blackman because he could score goals. But we sold him then sacked Wilson. Great moves eh?

To prove my point, Forte is rubbish. Put him in a side creating chances and hey presto......

Ok so what point exactly are you making? Do you think we should be prioritising creative midfielders ahead of strikers?

The days of Billy Sharp type strikers have long gone, just look at the goals the top world strikers score, very few are tap-ins, most are created through either individual brilliance or from fantastic team play. From what I've seen so far, Higdon is another Porter type, if we put 5 or 6 chances on a plate every game, he'll score most games but he doesn't look like the kind of player who scores the goals Ched did 3 years ago which is what we're lacking.

Most successful teams have threats all over the pitch and with certain players not firing yet this season, that's what we're missing as much as the talisman up front.

The days of Billy Sharp type strikers have long gone, just look at the goals the top world strikers score, very few are tap-ins, most are created through either individual brilliance or from fantastic team play. From what I've seen so far, Higdon is another Porter type, if we put 5 or 6 chances on a plate every game, he'll score most games but he doesn't look like the kind of player who scores the goals Ched did 3 years ago which is what we're lacking.

Most successful teams have threats all over the pitch and with certain players not firing yet this season, that's what we're missing as much as the talisman up front.

I do think this is a common misconception, I'll give you one example of a 'Billy Sharp type striker' still playing - Billy Sharp?

What sort of Players are Baldock, Agard, paddy madden, Hayter, Winnal, McDonald, Assombalonga, Agard? They're poachers.

The Billy Sharp-type you refer to might not exist at the very top level, but did they ever? I'd say Diego Costa and Javier Hernandez are two examples of poachers at a higher level.

I'm not really sure what the phrase 'Billy Sharp-type striker' actually means anyway, because you can't compare that player to anyone other than sharp, surely? If you mean goal-poacher then there are still lots and lots about. We just haven't had one for a long long time!

I do think this is a common misconception, I'll give you one example of a 'Billy Sharp type striker' still playing - Billy Sharp?

What sort of Players are Baldock, Agard, paddy madden, Hayter, Winnal, McDonald, Assombalonga, Agard? They're poachers.

The Billy Sharp-type you refer to might not exist at the very top level, but did they ever? I'd say Diego Costa and Javier Hernandez are two examples of poachers at a higher level.

I'm not really sure what the phrase 'Billy Sharp-type striker' actually means anyway, because you can't compare that player to anyone other than sharp, surely? If you mean goal-poacher then there are still lots and lots about. We just haven't had one for a long long time!

I'm just saying that football has changed, would Lineker for example do well in this day and age, maybe not. To play devil's advocate, how many of those players listed have been promoted from this division ;)

I'm just saying that football has changed, would Lineker for example do well in this day and age, maybe not. To play devil's advocate, how many of those players listed have been promoted from this division ;)

That is devils advocate! They've still all been prolific, promotion or not. I agree the game has changed, but one thing that hasn't changed is the scoring system. We still need someone to put the bastard ball in the bastard net!

Ok so what point exactly are you making? Do you think we should be prioritising creative midfielders ahead of strikers?

Your just been stupid/obtuse for the sake of it, well at least I hope you are. I think there's more to it than just getting a goal scorer in and solving all the problems. If we aren't creating then a goal scorer has issues to start with. Getting a goal scorer who creates their own chances, well that's pie in the sky because at our level they are like Rocking Horse shit. They cost a fortune and that is clearly something we aren't going to pay for. If you could name a few who do this mythical creation of their own chances I would be interested. Mind you back it up with substance though.

This isn't Championship Manager, its real life. What I am actually saying is had we not gone selling/sacking all the assets over the years at least some parts of the football team would be there. What seems to be happening now is we totally rebuild a squad capable for promotion every year. And every year we sell more quality than we buy. The problem isn't a goal scorer, its a creative midfielder, proven winger and goal scorer at the bare minimum.

Till Ched comes back of course........

Your just been stupid/obtuse for the sake of it, well at least I hope you are. I think there's more to it than just getting a goal scorer in and solving all the problems. If we aren't creating then a goal scorer has issues to start with. Getting a goal scorer who creates their own chances, well that's pie in the sky because at our level they are like Rocking Horse shit. They cost a fortune and that is clearly something we aren't going to pay for. If you could name a few who do this mythical creation of their own chances I would be interested. Mind you back it up with substance though.

This isn't Championship Manager, its real life. What I am actually saying is had we not gone selling/sacking all the assets over the years at least some parts of the football team would be there. What seems to be happening now is we totally rebuild a squad capable for promotion every year. And every year we sell more quality than we buy. The problem isn't a goal scorer, its a creative midfielder, proven winger and goal scorer at the bare minimum.

Till Ched comes back of course........

So when I posted this:

"2 birds, one stone. Without covering old ground, the best strikers we've had in recent years have created goals for themselves and others. It's about prioritising, personally I'd love us to bring in a winger, a creative CM (potentially Wallace) and a striker. However, the top of the priority list has to be a striker no doubt."

Then that's precisely what you've just said to me. How are we disagreeing here?

That is devils advocate! They've still all been prolific, promotion or not. I agree the game has changed, but one thing that hasn't changed is the scoring system. We still need someone to put the bastard ball in the bastard net!

Prolific, Higdon would probably be 3rd in that list :)

Speaking of Sharp, he's not made the best start at Leeds. 6 starts, 1 goal so far.

Seems chezzy blade has been usurped in the serial thread starter for the sake of it awards.

Thanks for the constructive criticism Bladesway, I'll take note. The thread should have been on Rumour Mill probably and is a bit specific but I reckon it's pointless banging on about needing a new striker and not coming up with realistic options. Paterson is in that pool which could well be available and his style of play would complement our usual system of play.

28 posts on the thread is good though and 4 from you in fact, thanks for rescuing it.

So when I posted this:

"2 birds, one stone. Without covering old ground, the best strikers we've had in recent years have created goals for themselves and others. It's about prioritising, personally I'd love us to bring in a winger, a creative CM (potentially Wallace) and a striker. However, the top of the priority list has to be a striker no doubt."

Then that's precisely what you've just said to me. How are we disagreeing here?

Actually following last night you have to think is the age of the man up front as a goal scorer dead?

Back
Top Bottom