Freak season & how football has changed

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

beatific blade

Reaction score
I saw this graphic on Twitter this morning and it threw into stark reality for me just how weird this season actually is.

IMG_3022.jpeg

The rule changes for this season (longer added time, more VAR, multi-ball, etc) have contributed to a ridiculous jump in the number of goals in the PL. It’s changed how officials run a game and equally how teams approach the game.

Many of the established teams have built into a high-pressing, high-line, ball-carrying midfield dynamic style. Teams that haven’t adapted (e.g. Man Utd) are being left behind by their relative competitors.

Don’t get me wrong: we are shit… but our poor squad development has come when we have joined the top table in a season where clearly scoring goals is more important than ever.

We were never going to come up and out-score everyone, granted. But the approach of keeping games tight and nicking several 1-0 wins to keep our heads above water seems to me to be impossible this season.

This huge statistical anomaly emphasises just how outgunned we are - far more than we had planned for or expected.

If this huge jump in goals is a theme rather than an anomaly, then we better be prepared to change our style of play.

It’s already feeding into the championship: look at Boro, Leeds, Ipswich under McKenna, WBA under Corboran, even Sunderland under Mowbray, Blackburn under JDT.

They attempt to play angled, vertical, line-breaking passes to clear a press. Or they have midfield ball carriers to achieve the same thing. Not sure any of them play 3-5-2. The teams that do are struggling (Cov/Millwall).

My point is that the game has become way less about structure/settled possession. Teams press hard off the ball but then in possession they invite a press. It’s pretty much intentional chaos from managers, with more focus on transitional, explosive exploitation of space after breaking a press.

Only a couple of years ago it felt like half the premier league would sit in a low block and play the probability of getting enough points from low-scoring games. Not any more.

We need to respond to this strategically otherwise we will find ourselves outgunned when we drop down a league, never mind currently.

Back
Top Bottom