Forty years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I went to the Halifax game and it was fucking freezing! Wouldn't go ahead these days, there were banks of snow at the side of pitch courtesy of Blades fans helping to clear the pitch and it was still like an ice rink and players struggled to stay on their feet.

I was in the lower 6th at school that winter of 81 and the snow in Grenoside was pretty epic.
The thing I seem to remember about the Halifax game was the pitch was in a terrible state and Julian Broddle made his debut ? Silent Blade ?
I was a Lane part-timer for most of the 1980s due to playing football on Saturdays. I think I was supposed to play at Castledyke but the match was called off due to snow and I didnt bother to go to the Lane. Never saw Broddle play!

On May 1st 1982 we won 3-2 at Crewe, the first of four consecutive wins in May. I wasn't at the game, does anyone have any memories of it?

On May 1st 1982 we won 3-2 at Crewe, the first of four consecutive wins in May. I wasn't at the game, does anyone have any memories of it?
I went to Crewe we were having on off day & playin shite & losing 2-1 , so decided to leave the ground early pissed off .. walking back to the station heard two loud cheers .. you guessed it we scored 2 late goals .. never left match early since that day

I went to Crewe we were having on off day & playin shite & losing 2-1 , so decided to leave the ground early pissed off .. walking back to the station heard two loud cheers .. you guessed it we scored 2 late goals .. never left match early since that day
Jeff King scored both late goals I think

I went to the Halifax game and it was fucking freezing! Wouldn't go ahead these days, there were banks of snow at the side of pitch courtesy of Blades fans helping to clear the pitch and it was still like an ice rink and players struggled to stay on their feet.
Pitch was like a padi field 2nd half , def a leveller for Halifax . Complete opposite on return match at The Shay following Easter stood on the grass bank in the sun 🌞. 5-0 or 5-1 if I remember, loads of Bladrs there I’d guess crowd as 12k think they put crowd as 8k .. back in the days of clubs fiddling attendances

I was there! But I remember fuck all about it apart from being in a very “shallow” stand tight to the touch line so that if one person leaned forward to see it blocked everyone else’s view.

I wasnt even wiping my own arse then 40 years ago!

Game against Colchester was on MOTD, imagine that nowadays a lower league game on the Beeb.
Typical Blades bottled it in front of the cameras lost 5-2🤭
Didn't we wear a generic Adidas shirt as the Hobbot one had a sponsor on it?

Despite being dodgy with crosses, Keith Waugh caught a corner at the Lane End, he quickly punted the ball upfield and Bob Hatton got to the ball, he showed his experience on finding space against two defenders before firing a low shot past Pat Jennings. Lovely goal!
Strange in my memory it was a looping Bobby Hatton header at the Lane End early in the game that put us 1.0 up in the game against Arsenal. I must have goal memories mixed up! I was at the second leg too which went to extra time.

Good to be enlightened!
Here is Sparky 's account of the goal. I didnt go to the 2nd leg.

6 October 1981. League Cup Round 2 Blades in Division 4, Arsenal riding high in Div one. Big hoof up the pitch Bob Hatton running onto it, slotting it past Pat Jennings. 1-0 Blades. Second leg travelled down from Birmingham, arrived at Highbury mid afternoon. Watched the Blades go through those famous Highbury doors. Held them to 1-0 but then they scored again in extra time to knock us out. Loved that team and Trenton Wiggan made a rare appearance as sub that night!

I jumped a wall and got in for nothing. They served beer in glass bottles in the side stand. We invaded the pitch on the final whistle. Great day out.j

I jumped a wall and got in for nothing. They served beer in glass bottles in the side stand. We invaded the pitch on the final whistle. Great day out.j
I remember Crewe chucking their shirts into the crowd then a few days later an appeal came out asking for them back! Oh and Jeff King was ace that day. Took my Everton supporting mate as a treat for him - he’d never seen division 4! I was wearing a yellow Harrington jacket that day which I thought was pretty cool In those days!

1973Blade , afraid I cannot find the Blades Tales book. I might have lent it to a friend and forgot about it. If any of you have the book, you would find a good article (by Matthew Bell, I think) about the match and the Crewe lady fan who brought a stool with her to the match not expecting a huge crowd that day but soon decided to go home after realising it would be too difficult for her to watch the match standing on her stool

Back
Top Bottom