Forever a Legend at SUFC: 4 years of Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ArcticRiz

Reaction score
It’s nearly a couple of months over 4 years since he was appointed.

Wilder.png

I’ll start with this: not a lot can be said that hasn’t already been said, but from time to time I think reflection is useful.

I’m not sure about anyone else but often I get too caught up in what’s happening on a daily and weekly basis at the club that my appreciation for the longer term achievement sometimes gets lost. From time to time, I find it again and it’s days like yesterday which do that.

No amount of appreciation posts are enough.

I still remember those pre-Wilder days in league one like they were yesterday. I think it’s only right that we deserve to take every single opportunity to appreciate the now and our current circumstances as much as possible. 4 excellent seasons in a row and now more than comfortable in the Premier League.

I remember the day after Wilder was first appointed as I saw it on the headline as I glanced at the paper stand in my local corner shop. I was full of optimism, and at that moment in time all I remember hoping for was a squad that could finally get out of league one.

The way we did it so easily just had class written all over it, and at the first time of asking after having such a bad season under Adkins the year before. I like to make a point of the fact we did it on what was labelled as a reduced budget that season which made it even greater.

It really was a special season, in my opinion we became a club with a firmly established winning mentality again during that year.

Wilder1.png

In the Championship, again I was just hoping for a good few years of consolidation before maybe thinking about a push for the Premier League, but there was no rush. A promotion to the top tier was still a distant ambition in the 2nd season, for me at least.

The togetherness of that squad was like no other, everybody played for each other and every body would run through a dozen brick walls for the manager. I still to this day can’t quite believe we got another promotion at only the 2nd time of asking.

I never quite got to grips with the achievement until well into the summer. That season was more than memorable, it was simply epic in every way.

Wilder2.png

Of course, I think this specific era of a manager and players has been the best many have seen.

It's not the first and won't be the last time this gets said but whatever happens in the coming years, I’m eternally grateful to Wilder for what he’s done for the club. The word is over used a lot but he really is a genuine legend at SUFC and will forever be so, for not only getting the club out of some of the darkest times but also providing lots of the brightest.

Onwards…………….

Wilder3.png

With Wilder and Knill the sky is the limit and I actually can't believe that I feel this way about a Sheffield United team.

Before Warnock I always felt that what we needed at the helm to take us up was a Blade and I was right when we got one and he took us up, after he left I thought the same again and was excited with Micky Adams appointment 🙄 that obviously went well and the league one years where hard.

My entire life of supporting the Blades we have always been the nearly men, we have had a lot of downs, before Wilder promotion with Warnock was as good as it got. With Wilder and Knill we have a completely different feel about us and judging by his progression, we should win the Prem next season 😂.

Good Times lay ahead I feel, hopefully those good times are made better today 😂

With Wilder and Knill the sky is the limit and I actually can't believe that I feel this way about a Sheffield United team.

Before Warnock I always felt that what we needed at the helm to take us up was a Blade and I was right when we got one and he took us up, after he left I thought the same again and was excited with Micky Adams appointment 🙄 that obviously went well and the league one years where hard.

My entire life of supporting the Blades we have always been the nearly men, we have had a lot of downs, before Wilder promotion with Warnock was as good as it got. With Wilder and Knill we have a completely different feel about us and judging by his progression, we should win the Prem next season 😂.

Good Times lay ahead I feel, hopefully those good times are made better today 😂
I agree, a repeat of the Warnock days was probably the most realistic eventuality until Wilder came along.

Wilder has all the qualities to succeed, class, humility and most importantly a winning mentality.
Him and Alan Knill are a great partnership and are our Clough and Taylor.
I believe Wilder has the the honesty and integrity that all great leaders possess.
He clearly has the respect of many which was demonstrated by Mohrinio last night.

We'd have gone on to dominate world football under Adkins, if you hadn't hounded him out.

I hope you can live with yourself......
The Adkins out campaign was a fairytale story for me.

It was a 'Apple/Steve Jobs' i.e built from the ground up, until ultimate success.

It was a 'Apple/Steve Jobs' i.e built from the ground up, until ultimate success.

My fear was an another Amstrad home computer type thingy.

Steve Jobs wouldn't have a clue about overlapping centrebacks anyway.

Love wilder, love this club, I just hope he can start to mould a wilder mk2 for when / if he looks for a new challenge (10 years from now I hope) Billy is the obvious answer, train him up, get his badges send him out for experience then the stage will be set..... The futures bright, the futures Red & white
FTFPs

Obviously we all hope this is just the beginning of a lasting legacy that sees our club cement it's place among the elite clubs in the country.

However, the older fans will know we need to enjoy it while it lasts. I don't mean that to be negative, more like we need to savour the moment. I can't understand these fans who still moan about this and that player, that Berge and McBurnie were a waste of money... blah, blah, blah... this is the arguably the best period in living memory, certainly in my lifetime (I'm 49 so don't remember the early 70's team), if you can't enjoy it now and marvel at the incredible achievements over the last 4 years, then you should probably support someone else.

I meet a mate and his 13 year old lad before the game. His lad start going to games under Wilder. I said to him a few months ago, half jokingly but not, that he needs to enjoy this as you never know when it will be this good again.

We're going toe to toe with players and teams that seemed light years away 4 years ago and getting plaudits from respected professionals in the game. It's not just the achievement, it's also the style of the achievement that has been so gratifying. This isn't some kick and run team that got lucky, this is a proper team playing great football.

We should all be proud of that.

I'd give Wilder and Knill there own statues in the car park now, been a fantastic and unbelievable 4 years!!

Back
Top Bottom