For five years Bramall Lane has been a Wednesday-free zone

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Today is the 5th anniversary of the last Sheffield Derby at Bramall Lane, a very poor 0-0 draw. As someone who doesn't enjoy these games I'm hoping it is at least another five years before we meet again!
I thought Wednesday won that match 0-0. Thirty years should see me free for the rest of my life !!

Looking like there won't be one next season either, fingers crossed.

I wouldn’t mind a bouncing day massacre every season…But not coming from Sheffield, I don’t have to live with the cunts if it goes wrong.

They're brilliant when you win though, especially away from home, I personally would love a cup tie against em. They can carry on being a league shitter for a long time hopefully.
I can think of nothing worse than drawing them in the cup. Unless it was a complete annihilation by us, they would somehow turn any defeat into a victory: you could only score (1,2,3) against a lower division side, you were 1 minute away from going out (the Wrexham approach to creating a moral victory). Or heaven forbid, they beat us!
I would be quite happy never to play them again, and the more divisions between us, and the longer they are out of the top flight, the better as far as I am concerned. They can keep their memories of their apparently bulging trophy cabinet and wallow in the lower echelons of football for 100 years.

I can think of nothing worse than drawing them in the cup. Unless it was a complete annihilation by us, they would somehow turn any defeat into a victory: you could only score (1,2,3) against a lower division side, you were 1 minute away from going out (the Wrexham approach to creating a moral victory). Or heaven forbid, they beat us!
I would be quite happy never to play them again, and the more divisions between us, and the longer they are out of the top flight, the better as far as I am concerned. They can keep their memories of their apparently bulging trophy cabinet and wallow in the lower echelons of football for 100 years.

Thing is, it will always be a lose lose for the team that has the upper hand in this current situation. If we lose we'd never hear the end of it and if we win, well we were expected to anyway so they would say it probably wouldn't count.

I'd much prefer to play them with us being the underdogs. Far too much to lose if they beat us in the current situation

Id love them in a cup game, we'd batter them, they're shockingly bad. Our squad went up last season, theirs is going down, and we've got some better players than then also, we'd dominate a game against them.

I get the opinion of never play them again. For me though, neither club is ever going to trouble winning the league so getting one up on main rivals is realistically all we can have.

Since the year 2000, when in the same league we have finished above them 9 times, and each time we have been out of sight of them on finishing position. They on the other hand have finished above us once, directly above us, very narrowly.

Other than the 90 year in the making double over us, they did nothing noteworthy in comparison. But yet act like they have some moral highground over us.

Not missing them. But I do love a derby day.

We play em at u23, u18 etc. They should be thankful they get to play us at even that level. And as the community minded club we are, we let em sneak a draw or a win here in then. Charity is all about giving to those that can't help themselves....I might just send them 100 quid for no reason whatsoever, maybe to help pay their tax bill. Nah, fk em

Thing is, it will always be a lose lose for the team that has the upper hand in this current situation. If we lose we'd never hear the end of it and if we win, well we were expected to anyway so they would say it probably wouldn't count.

I'd much prefer to play them with us being the underdogs. Far too much to lose if they beat us in the current situation
I never want to play them as underdogs again.

I never want to play them as underdogs again.
I know what BettingBlade means though. The 2-4 was even sweeter as we were supposed underdogs (although I think we all had a sneaking suspicion we were a lot better than they thought and they weren’t quite as good as they thought). Cut to the next 3 matches and they had happily accepted underdog status and therefore celebrated each as if they had won.

Today is the 5th anniversary of the last Sheffield Derby at Bramall Lane, a very poor 0-0 draw. As someone who doesn't enjoy these games I'm hoping it is at least another five years before we meet again!
Who?

I spoke to the porky supporter this afternoon whilst I was on my way to the bar, he was folding up his n hers Porky towels, so I passed by and quietly said Up the Blades, his comment was it's a tad warm ( 30 degrees today), my reply was sizzling 🤣 followed by dint know there was Charity shops around here 🤣🤣 by the time I'd returned from the bar with drinks they had trotted off 🙂

I wouldn't want to play Wednesday as underdogs. Firstly because it would mean they were better than us, and which Blade wants that?

Secondly, if we were top dogs and lost sure they would gloat about it but we'd have our superior status to fall back on, so it wouldn't be all bad.

Thirdly, derbies are tense and uncomfortable as many have mentioned. The most 'fun' derby would be one where we're comfortably better, dominate and are up by 3 or 4 after an hour and can enjoy rubbing it in for the remainder. This is most likely to happen when we're in a much superior position.

Finally, some people are saying even if the above scenario came true there wouldn't be much to gain because the victory would be expected. This isn't true with Wednesdayites though. Their delusional sense of self-importance is enough that any defeat would be painful, and even more so if they didnt have a higher league position to fall back on.

I spoke to the porky supporter this afternoon whilst I was on my way to the bar, he was folding up his n hers Porky towels, so I passed by and quietly said Up the Blades, his comment was it's a tad warm ( 30 degrees today), my reply was sizzling 🤣 followed by dint know there was Charity shops around here 🤣🤣 by the time I'd returned from the bar with drinks they had trotted off 🙂
esy-019624282.jpg

Would love them in cup now- we’d destroy them. Gutted we never got to see ndiaye play against them it could’ve been really embarrassing.

31 years ago yesterday it was this game. I've used the Wednesday YouTube clip as it shows the horrendous two footed tackle by Hirst and a not quite as bad one from Bright. Both would be straight red cards now.

Back
Top Bottom