Football Weekends Not The Same Anymore

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

S41 BLADE

Reaction score
I’m sat here thinking of how our football weekends are just not the same anymore, for over 30 years I’ve missed only 2 home games and attended most away games, we all should be full of excitement of the match and everything that goes with it before and after, meeting family & friends, going to boozer for a few pints etc, Soaking up the atmosphere and then going to watch our beloved Blades packed in together singing, shouting, cheering etc the current situation has really put a massive downer on football life and watching Instagram & YouTube videos of past matches and atmosphere singing Greasy Chip Butty and the like makes me sad to think when it will ever be the same again, I hope so sooner rather than later 🤞UTB

Plus, Saturday afternoon with Sky sports is total shit now, I can’t see Jeff Sterling staying on much longer, the banter & laughs have gone, My wife loves it! She’s happy she doesn’t have to endure 12-6 Saturday afternoon footy now which I used to watch when we were away.

Plus, Saturday afternoon with Sky sports is total shit now, I can’t see Jeff Sterling staying on much longer, the banter & laughs have gone, My wife loves it! She’s happy she doesn’t have to endure 12-6 Saturday afternoon footy now which I used to watch when we were away.

It was going to be difficult to make the show work with the lack of games and Covid restrictions, but SKY have managed to absolutely destroy it. It painful to watch now, Jeff trying his best to carry the show with his charisma but its impossible with the soulless cardboard muppets they have on there now (would make a great drinking game though, have a shot every time one of their super knowledgeable presenters says 'errrrrrrrr' )

I'm still watching our games but not bothered at all in general. Thought there might be some football on last night, though about checking then realised that I wouldn't want to watch without fans, whoever is playing. No idea what games are on TV today. I will watch the game tomorrow on a feed but I certainly wouldn't pay 15 quid. Hamburg Blade suggested listening to the radio commentary like we used to, as that hasn't changed at all. Not too long ago watching the Blades on TV was a luxury, and most games were radio-only.

I'm still watching our games but not bothered at all in general. Thought there might be some football on last night, though about checking then realised that I wouldn't want to watch without fans, whoever is playing. No idea what games are on TV today. I will watch the game tomorrow on a feed but I certainly wouldn't pay 15 quid. Hamburg Blade suggested listening to the radio commentary like we used to, as that hasn't changed at all. Not too long ago watching the Blades on TV was a luxury, and most games were radio-only.

Due to the delay on streams, I think I may go back to listening to our gams on the radio.

Totally agree with following on the radio - i listened to most of the Scotland - Israel 0-0 bore draw and subsequent penalty shootout and the Sportscene commentator made it sound more exciting than our playoff semi v Forest

I totally agree.
Before I saw this page I had been looking at today's Premier League's fixtures - as opposed to this afternoon's fixtures.
There are four games today and only one at 3 o'clock!

Jeff Stelling trying his best but no Tommo and co ....not the same anymore the replacements are only interested in promoting themselves and they aren’t good at that either

It’s shit compared to the real thing I accept that, but how many times do we need to say it’s shit? I think everybody gets the picture now.

For what it’s worth I’d sooner watch whatever we’re getting as opposed to nothing at all, and I suspect that if we’d gotten off to the same sort of start as last season it wouldn’t seem quite so bad.

I prefer listening on the radio too. At least it’s a familiar format. I was so looking forward to project re-start, but soon realised that without the fans it’s just meaningless! Even watching the 3-0 win against Chelski felt like so-what? 😑 Things are now going from bad to worse. We’ve had another disjointed start with a pointless, almost immediate international break, Covid cases galore and multiple injuries / 5-a-side score lines due to a lack of fitness and preparation for all teams. It’s a complete joke. I won’t be paying for Sky subscription again, their coverage has been woeful and the scheduling of our games, in particular, has been appalling. The only plus points of this season so far are that green and gold kit 😍😍 and S6 starting on -12.

Jeff Stelling trying his best but no Tommo and co ....not the same anymore the replacements are only interested in promoting themselves and they aren’t good at that either
The problem is that Soccer Saturday was a one off, more like a bunch of mates watching a match in the pub and having a laugh. That’s why most people liked it I think, they could relate to it, but now it’s been dulled down because there’s just no banter and because of the dire characters of some of those who they’ve brought onboard there never will be. Who in their right mind would ever think that a dire loser like Tim Sherwood could add to the show? It’s just the same as the BBC and BT now. If I was Stelling I’d hop off while he’s on top and leave them to it.

The problem is that Soccer Saturday was a one off, more like a bunch of mates watching a match in the pub and having a laugh. That’s why most people liked it I think, they could relate to it, but now it’s been dulled down because there’s just no banter and because of the dire characters of some of those who they’ve brought onboard there never will be. Who in their right mind would ever think that a dire loser like Tim Sherwood could add to the show? It’s just the same as the BBC and BT now. If I was Stelling I’d hop off while he’s on top and leave them to it.
Totally agree mate....Sherwood needs some duck tape over his gob

Totally with you on that mate. It’s so despressing atm. The last home league game as normal Norwich header from billy on 7th March was to long ago. Seems a different lifetime now.

It would be even worse, won 4 and not being able to go, loving it, you must be joking
I agree with him. Of course I’d be pissed off that I had to watch it on the box but I always feel better when we’re doing well whether I can get to the game or not. I once was ill and missed a big chunk of the season, but the fact that we were having a good season kept me going. I never once considered that it made things even worse for me because I wasn’t there, us doing well was all that mattered and I suspect we’ll see this board lighten up noticeably if we can turn things around.

I’m sat here thinking of how our football weekends are just not the same anymore, for over 30 years I’ve missed only 2 home games and attended most away games, we all should be full of excitement of the match and everything that goes with it before and after, meeting family & friends, going to boozer for a few pints etc, Soaking up the atmosphere and then going to watch our beloved Blades packed in together singing, shouting, cheering etc the current situation has really put a massive downer on football life and watching Instagram & YouTube videos of past matches and atmosphere singing Greasy Chip Butty and the like makes me sad to think when it will ever be the same again, I hope so sooner rather than later 🤞UTB
Watching non-league is an alternative for Saturday afternoons and I'm surprised more people haven't given it a go.
Plenty of decent clubs like Sheffield FC, Hallam, Frickley and Stocksbridge nearby.
It's refreshing to see players who aren't feigning injury or complaining to the ref all through the match.
Cheap admission and being able to get a pint at half time is another bonus!

We can meet up in IRC and you can type the commentary in.

Reactions: Dkc
I’m sat here thinking of how our football weekends are just not the same anymore, for over 30 years I’ve missed only 2 home games and attended most away games, we all should be full of excitement of the match and everything that goes with it before and after, meeting family & friends, going to boozer for a few pints etc, Soaking up the atmosphere and then going to watch our beloved Blades packed in together singing, shouting, cheering etc the current situation has really put a massive downer on football life and watching Instagram & YouTube videos of past matches and atmosphere singing Greasy Chip Butty and the like makes me sad to think when it will ever be the same again, I hope so sooner rather than later 🤞UT really think I’d
Never thought I’d feel this sad about it. But it recent years I have happily put all my vices into one big (red and white striped) basket. I really do miss getting up to Sheffield on the train every fortnight (rare awaydays) and meeting up with friends, having a fair few pints, having a bet on the game and then chewing the fat over a south Asian meal of choice afterwards.
Now I’ve become a weekly nuisance for the other half, following her forlornly around all the homewares shops and garden centres. She’s not daft though, she knew my days out in Sheff usually means she get whisked away on frequent weekend breaks when the mighty Blades weren’t at home. She does knows I’m missing the other love of my life and is mainly sympathetic about it.
But I’m trying to illustrate in la very long winded way, that going to the game isn’t just about 90 minutes of football and a cup of bovril at half time.

Back
Top Bottom