Flat 3 in midfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

i find it a little odd that we have signed 8 new players and yet Lundstram is starting every pre season game. If I wanted to play a flat 3 I’d get a better midfielder to do it.

I am confident that if Lundstram starts, and it doesn’t work, Wilder will drop him, because he is very good at quickly changing things that aren’t working. I would say however that for reasons that escape me Lundstram has had more chances than most players of similar ability under Wilder.

Never ever play with a lone striker in the Premier League. So criminal it should be written into the FA rulebook

We’ve already trialled a lone striker with two 10s behind in the Betis game. If you think we’re going to go with two strikers and a Duffy role behind in 38 games this season you’re going to be enormously disappointed – possibly as early as next Saturday.

It might be 2 strikers with a flat 3, or 1 striker with two 10s. We will be changing it up quite a bit I think between those 2 and the usual formation.

I love how one negative change in formation can take our midfield from one of our best assets that can dominate games to a the worst aspect of the team that gets overrun. 😔
that’s team games, tactics are a big thing.. can see Duffy having a role to play yet he seems to be the only one that gets that position .. that ‘duffy position’ is the most important position in our formation.. i reckon morrison could do it.. i’m not sure about freeman

But Norwood has a very specific role too, quite often the deepest outfield player giving the creative outlet for Henderson and Egan. I'd always want a footballer there, not a midfield "enforcer"

Yes, but when dropping deep to pick up possession in space, most midfielders of the level we'll be after will be capable of doing what Norwood does in that situation.

When Norwood gets seriously pressed and harried, he's likely to be dispossessed a lot.

And that's what the more astute, fit and athletic teams at PL level will be doing. So that aspect to our play might be somewhat negated anyway.

I don’t think anyone’s saying that

What people are doing is questioning the flat 3. It doesn’t work. Stats prove it.
But no one is saying we're going play that way. Just because we have in a friendly.
It's just knee jerk reacting.

We’ve already trialled a lone striker with two 10s behind in the Betis game. If you think we’re going to go with two strikers and a Duffy role behind in 38 games this season you’re going to be enormously disappointed – possibly as early as next Saturday.

It might be 2 strikers with a flat 3, or 1 striker with two 10s. We will be changing it up quite a bit I think between those 2 and the usual formation.
Think we will all be disappointed as the team.functions at about 60per cent of its capability
A starting front three of mcburnie / sharp
Robinson / mcgoldrick
And mcgoldrick / Freeman

Functions on.all kind of levels
With a midfield two of norwood / Morrison and fleck / Osborn

We can play this formation and still be defensive by holding the entre backs in place and being a little more possession based

If we play a flat 3 we will get over run and most pundits or supporters of other teams will just think we are a big standard championship team who scrap and scrape and nick goals on set pieces

Let's be brave and give ourselves our best chance of we go down we go down fighting

Lundstram is crap.
The overwhelming opinion of Blades who've watched him and football all their lives concur.
God help us if he gets anywhere near a start. There's no mercy in the toughest league in the world. Ffs get shot.

All friendlies
Yeah I know, but that doesnt necessarily mean that's how we're gonna line up in the league.

Either way I trust that if Chris sees us failing in any way he'll have a plan.
I'm just not at all worried.

Yeah I know, but that doesnt necessarily mean that's how we're gonna line up in the league.

Either way I trust that if Chris sees us failing in any way he'll have a plan.
I'm just not at all worried.
I think people’s concerns are very much justified. We can not afford to throw away 2 games in the first 2 (very winnable) games by trying something which doesn’t work.

I think people’s concerns are very much justified. We can not afford to throw away 2 games in the first 2 (very winnable) games by trying something which doesn’t work.
But we haven't lined up like that in the league!
If we do and get hammered then I could understand it. But we haven't. People are losing theirbshit about something that hasnt happened!

Don't worry,i'm confident that Lundstram will not play for us in the premiership in a flat three midfield.I am sure that Wilder will adopt this system on occasions and that he has tried to get the players used to it in the pre season games.I am certain that he has identified the player he wants,a premiership player on a season loan,often you have to wait until the last week of the transfer window to do the deal.I cannot believe that a player that can't get a regular championship start will play in the premiership through choice..........it just can't happen can it ?

I love how one negative change in formation can take our midfield from one of our best assets that can dominate games to a the worst aspect of the team that gets overrun. 😔

Well at least for a start you accept that Lundstram is a negative change and you have seen how it is now overrun.

i find it a little odd that we have signed 8 new players and yet Lundstram is starting every pre season game. If I wanted to play a flat 3 I’d get a better midfielder to do it.

I am confident that if Lundstram starts, and it doesn’t work, Wilder will drop him, because he is very good at quickly changing things that aren’t working. I would say however that for reasons that escape me Lundstram has had more chances than most players of similar ability under Wilder.

Mitchell selected him and rates him. God knows why.

We look our best, play at our best and the players look more comfortable when we play our usual 3-5-2 system.
When we don't play this system or we tweak the midfield formation to a 'flatter' one then we look average and a little lost.
Yes, I fully appreciate that there may be times when we have to play differently because of tactics, the opposition or injuries but on the whole, stay as we are, beleive in what the fans beleive in, show no fear, be brave and be confident. Please also be assured that if you go for it and the result doesn't go our way, because we've been done by a bit of quality, the fans will accept that and will simply say "fuck it, just go for it again" because this is the football and approach that has brought the excitement , brought the sucess and brought the football club back together again. Beleive in who we are and what we've become. With a "full on" and "aggressive attacking" approach, the supporters will back you come what may . . . . . . . . COME ON YOU RED AND WHITE WIIIZZZAAARRRDDDSSS!!!!

I’m glad someone said it. We always play better with a number 10, that style is what got us where we are today. Let’s just go for it!

All friendlies

Do you mean from the start?

At Betis we started with a "flat 3", but started second half with two 10s behind a striker. At Burton we started with Freeman behind Sharp and McGoldrick. At Chesterfield Freeman was behind Robinson and Sharp, occasionally dropping deeper like Duffy's been doing.

I think Wilder and also teammates have been speaking highly of Lundstram performances in training, possibly why he's lasted longer than some other fringe players?

I think our record last season suggests that we do ok defensively without resorting to a flat 3.

Would we really start shipping loads of goals at the back by keeping our tactics exactly the same?

With the obvious desire to be solid in midfield - and given that much of our Norwood based possession is likely to be negated anyway - wouldn't an ideal solution and compromise be to get a better physical and defensive player than Norwood in there, have the two CMs anchoring a bit more with additional creative responsibility given to our hugely upgraded attack.

For example:

Chambers/Amartey Fleck

McGoldrick Robinson

McBurnie

An attacking upgrade at RWB would make this even more suitable.

If the friendlies are anything to go by we’ll be starting the season AGAIN with a flat 3 and shudder John Lundstram as part of it. In the Premier League.

So judging on how it went last season we can throw the first 2 games once Chris realises it doesn’t work and starts using a number 10 again.

Leicester watch out. We’re coming for you.

Ha! You idiot. What kind of a moron would doubt Wilder??

I don't think we can afford to try out Lundstram in the first few games again. Especially given the opposition and how important those points will likely be.

I hope I'm wrong but I think if we go with the flat 3 featuring Lundstram in those first two games we will see the same results as we did at the start of last season.

Ah shit

Back
Top Bottom