Farewell to a true Blade

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jon B

Reaction score
This morning we said farewell at age 58 to Ian Smith, a true Blade, Red and White all the way through.

At the service at Dronfield Baptist Church, where Ian was a member, the Minister wore a United shirt from way back, one with "Blades" on the front (as that season I don't think we had a company shirt sponsor). In the congregation there was much red and white on display and various different United shirts.

Ian's coffin was, of course, red.

It was borne into church to the sound of "Annie's Song". During the service we sang the version that we sing at the start of United's games. Our song.

Ian had been a season ticket holder for 40 years or so, although for the past few years his health had stopped him attending. He had kept renewing his season ticket, determined that he would eventually leave Care Home/Hospital and return home and once again take his seat in the South Stand at his beloved Bramall Lane.

Sadly, this was not to be.

He suffered from severe ill health from birth. Epilepsy, lameness, and cerebral injury. Part of the way he combated his mobility problems was through as much walking as possible. He could regularly be seen walking in all parts of Dronfield.

Always wearing a Sheffield United shirt.

Ian never complained about his many ailments. He just got on and lived life as fully as possible. He was determined to find work and when he got his first job he was able to buy his first season ticket. He had a great memory and knowledge of facts especially to do with football and cricket.

Eventually Ian's epilepsy became so bad that he could no longer work. But he still walked round and round Dronfield and talked of United with all of us when we bumped into him.

In 2018 Ian's health significantly deteriorated and he had the misfortune of being in nursing home and hospital during the Covid Pandemic with family and friends unable to visit him.

He remained in nursing care after the Pandemic ended but wanted desperately to return to his own place.

On the day we played Man City I had been lent Ian's ticket and I was proud of United's display. But that same day Ian suffered a massive stroke and bleeding on the brain. He passed away a few days later.

Ian was a man of great heart, strength of character and integrity.

He always the shirt with pride.

And today in his honour, so did I.

RIP Blade. So sad and so young. Thoughts with all his family and friends.

What a sad story. RIP to the lad.

More perspective.

This morning we said farewell at age 58 to Ian Smith, a true Blade, Red and White all the way through.

At the service at Dronfield Baptist Church, where Ian was a member, the Minister wore a United shirt from way back, one with "Blades" on the front (as that season I don't think we had a company shirt sponsor). In the congregation there was much red and white on display and various different United shirts.

It was borne into church to the sound of "Annie's Song". During the service we sang the version that we sing at the start of United's games. Our song.

Ian had been a season ticket holder for 40 years or so, although for the past few years his health had stopped him attending. He had kept renewing his season ticket, determined that he would eventually leave Care Home/Hospital and return home and once again take his seat in the South Stand at his beloved Bramall Lane.

He suffered from severe ill health from birth. Epilepsy, lameness, and cerebral injury. Part of the way he combated his mobility problems was through as much walking as possible. He could regularly be seen walking in all parts of Dronfield.

Ian never complained about his many ailments. He just got on and lived life as fully as possible. He was determined to find work and when he got his first job he was able to buy his first season ticket. He had a great memory and knowledge of facts especially to do with football and cricket.

Eventually Ian's epilepsy became so bad that he could no longer work. But he still walked round and round Dronfield and talked of United with all of us when we bumped into him.

In 2018 Ian's health significantly deteriorated and he had the misfortune of being in nursing home and hospital during the Covid Pandemic with family and friends unable to visit him.

He remained in nursing care after the Pandemic ended but wanted desperately to return to his own place.

On the day we played Man City I had been lent Ian's ticket and I was proud of United's display. But that same day Ian suffered a massive stroke and bleeding on the brain. He passed away a few days later.

Fantastic tribute my friend

RIP Ian. A Blade for life⚔️

Did he live off Gainsborough Road? I think I knew him by sight. RIP Ian.

Sad news.

RIP Blade ⚔️

Rest in Peace Blades Man ⚔️

Sounds like a great lad, who clearly faced his challenges with courage and fortitude.
RIP Ian.

A wonderful tribute from you, Jon B and thanks for sharing.
Rest peacefully, Ian. A true Blade

I often don't read long posts,I find em boring, not this one, well written my friend your were obviously very close and a good friend.
Best of luck to you and your friends.

Back
Top Bottom