Everton 0 United 2 - report/day out

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Spoken word below and audio versions here also

Pre match Podcast -

Post match Podcast -

United recorded their first away victory back in the Premier League thanks to a superbly organised performance at Goodison Park. The Blades won for the first time at this level since winning at Wigan in December 2006 and the first victory by two clear goals in the top flight since a win at Everton in 1993!

An own goal from Yerry Mina and a Lys Mousset strike saw United take the three points back to Sheffield. In truth it was the poorest United have played and certainly with the ball, they were careless or lacking in control. We created barely a chance but were clinical when we did and defended superbly with an organised and resolute display.

United made changes with David McGoldrick ruled out with a groin strain and Callum Robinson coming back in. There was no Billy Sharp (suspension) or Mo Besic (ineligible) in the squad but Phil Jagielka was on the bench against the club he used to skipper. Kieron Freeman also was named as a substitute for the first time this season.

Everton began with former Blade Dominic Calvert Lewin but had a side packed full of quality, experience and internationals both in the starting line up and in reserve.

United fans were in good voice as the Blades kicked towards the Gwladys Street End. Everton began well though knocking the ball about well and forced an early corner. Richarlison and Sigurdsson were getting into little pockets and looking to make things happen but United kept a good shape. The home side won a free kick and then a corner before Basham and Kean tussled and much to the anger of the home side the free kick went United’s way. United had struggled to see much off the ball and the front two were starved of possession. Most of the game was being played in United’s half and Norwood tripped Delph by illegal means, leading to a booking after the game was eventually stopped.

Everton had a few efforts well off target with Richarlison shooting over and then Bernard had a shot go wide. The first effort on target came when Digne had a shot that Henderson pushed away

A few moments later Baldock let the ball go out and took objection to Richarlison barging into him and tempers became brayed with the United man responding and Bernard getting into his grill and a number of players surrounding the scene. Baldock and Bernard were booked and Henderson also got a yellow card. Quite how Kean escaped as he had shoved the United keeper and Egan is anybody’s guess.

Everton continued to dominate and United were doing well to restrict them to any clear-cut chances but were not getting out at all with a rare O’Connell raid ended when he overhit the cross. Everton came again and Richarlison tried an acrobatic volley that went over before Kean blazed over the bar. United managed to win a corner after a brief and rare bit of possession.

From the Norwood delivery United took the lead against the run of play. The ball was swung over into the near post and in a sea of bodies Pickford missed it and it went in off MINA’S (OG) head as he stopped near the line. It seemed a while before people had realised it had gone in and then even after this, we had a signal for VAR from the referee. The fans in the ground had no idea what was going on with nothing shown on the big screen to indicate a review after the referee had made the clear signal. Finally, the referee pointed to the centre circle and United were ahead and had scored in the first half of a game; something they had not done so far before today.

Everton could not really mount any meaningful attacks before the break and United went in with an unlikely lead.

After the break, the Blades seemed to be making a conscious effort to play higher up the field and Fleck and Lundstram got more involved. McBurnie also was holding the ball up better. O’Connell advanced and won a corner that Everton cleared. The home side came back and Bernard linked with Kean but Egan stepped in. The same man cleared a header when under pressure moments later as United’s defence continued to hold firm.

Everton did create a chance when the ball somehow found its way through and Kean was in on the angle but Henderson smothered from point blank range. This was probably Everton’s best chance of the game and the only real time Henderson had been troubled despite a number of attempts on goal.

Schneiderlin and Bernard were given the hook from Marco Silva as he brought on two forwards in Iwobi, Tosun and were now really going for it with four strikers on the field.

The game was more even this half and United were keeping the ball better and were winning more of the loose stuff. Mousset came on for Robinson to give United another outlet and then Jagielka came on for Norwood with Basham switching into the centre of midfield. All four sides of Goodison gave Jags a he ovation as he entered the field. Egan and then O’Connell made timely interceptions but Everton were not really penetrating the United backline. More good work from Lundstram saw him hold off a challenge and advance but Stevens could not make hay down the left-hand side.

Walcott came on for Coleman and Everton now had effectively five attackers/wingers on the pitch! United continued to take the sting out of things with Henderson claiming a through ball and then Baldock and Lundstram tidying up.

Egan made another superb tackle as United kept a really solid shape but then Fleck got around the back and stood up a cross which Basham headed wide in a rare chance for United. Mousset’s pace and touch was already causing problems for Keane who got turned twice in quick succession.

With the clock on 78 minutes United got the vital second goal. Lundstram strode away and clipped a beautiful ball down the inside right channel which saw MOUSSET run beyond the defence. The striker coolly skipped the ball under Pickford’s legs and into the net. He sprinted towards the delirious United fans and was joined by his teammates.

Osborn came on for McBurnie as United sought to slow things down further but Everton were now making mistakes all over the field and often overplayed final balls. Some home fans had seen enough and were starting to leave. Egan got his foot in again to clear and then Walcott ran the ball out. United were now sensing victory was theirs as the game went into four minutes of stoppage time. Everton won a free kick in a dangerous position but the free kick was wasted. The final moments saw United see things out in relative comfort before the final whistle saw the players and management head to the away fans to celebrate with them.

United – It is odd as in many ways the worst we have played. We sat back way too deep a times, particularly first half and did not see much of the ball at all. When we had it, we lumped it or panicked too often, again more so in the first half. The front two were starved of the ball and even the midfield could not get into the game. Everton dominated possession and all game we created very little with a handful of attacks of note. However, Everton only had one really big chance when Kean got in and Henderson saved. They had so many attacks and 70% possession with 16 shots to our 2! However, only 3 on target. Digna had a shot saved and maybe one other effort that I can’t remember outside that aforementioned chance in the 2nd half. I cannot recall them getting in much at all and they constantly just knocked crosses over we cleared or could not get around us. Our defence was superb all game. Marshalled by Egan who was the man pf the match but O’Connell and Bash were very good too. Jags also did his part when he came on. The wing backs barely got forward but they were solid and kept disciplined knowing they could not bomb on due to the possession Everton had in midfield. I was a bit disappointed with our midfield at times as they did not get the ball and lost too many 50/50 stuff and when they had it, they just punted it or helped it on. The front two did little but also did not get in front of their man. McBurnie was better than Robinson who was poor but hard for both with little of the ball. The midfield and McBurnie improved after the break. Lundstram had been our best player maybe in the first half and he started to see more of it and Fleck got involved more too. The whole team improved even if they still had more possession but we played more football and at least had some attacks. The 2nd half was a bit more balanced. Everton still had many more attacks and more of the ball but with us leading it was always going to be like that. Not sure why we are so slow to start games at the moment but our first halves have not been good enough in terms of tempo and doing the bits and pieces so we have more of the ball. We also have been careless in possession and panicked and got rid too early. However, we did start to play pockets of stuff 2nd half and Mousset helped with his pace and his good hold up. Many will be saying he should start but I am not sure. I think he is fine at the moment as an impact sub with McBurnie weathering them over the game and then he comes on against tired legs. Robinson has to do more.

The big positives for me were the defence and the shape of the team for long periods. We never got outstretched and never got done on the break. We were so organised and we got in tackles, blocks and interceptions. Egan was superb as I have said and the others not far behind. Henderson also was really solid. It was a superb away performance in terms of that side, the organisation and togetherness and thou shalt not pass attitude. We broke out and scored an excellent second and then saw it out quite easy against a team that are normally so good at home. It was a perfect away performance in that sense but what makes me even more hopeful is we have not played amazing this season and still never looked out of place. We have been in every game and not one team has outplayed or outfootballed us yet (might come next week!) and we can do better – in terms of with the football and how we start games. I think some players at the top end of the pitch can improve – not one of the forwards outside of Mousset has really staked a claim to be first choice every week yet. Goals are being spread around and own goal also moved to the top of the United scoring chart! A useful player going back to the days of BODIN OG for United!

A big win. After last week I felt if we lost today and of course with Liverpool next week, then you think we could be in the bottom three and you start to worry but today was massive. We now do have a bit of a free hit next week – I know Wilder does not like that phrase but it is. Hopefully, we can have a really memorable day at the Lane against the European Champions. The Lane will be sold out and rocking so it’s important United start the game well (not like Watford did at City!) and show the country what we can do. The plaudits yesterday and in some games has been about our organisation and work ethic which is good but not sure we have played the football we can do yet, even if we have to temper it at times at this level so want this side of our game to hopefully come out more. Now though after the result yesterday it has become a good start. If we could somehow nick something and then win at Watford, it would be a superb start.

Ratings:

Henderson 7.5/10 – Solid. Caught most things and was on his game in terms of positioning and coming for things when balls came through. Made one easy save and then one very good one. His kicking is still atrocious.

Baldock 7.5/10 – Played really well again. He did not get forward much but I think his defensive side has really improved. He did not get beat all game, made some good interceptions and tackles. Silly booking but do like the way he showed some fire and was not having them taking liberties.

Basham 8/10 – Thought he had a really good game today. He makes mistakes with the ball sometimes but he was very good defensively and like the other two, did not let them get in at all. When he went into midfield, he did his chase it and kick it tactic superbly and nearly got a goal with a header!

O’Connell 8/10 – First half got caught a few times but after this spell he improved and was excellent. He did get forward a couple of times but his crosses came to nothing. He was brilliant 2nd half in his defensive work, making tackles and getting his foot in. He was very calm and composed also.

Egan 8.5/10 – Superb. A rock. A colossus. Whatever term you want to use. He seemed to be magnetised to the ball in the way that Maguire is for Man Utd. He won headers, tackles, blocks and interceptions. He did not get beat all game and was just superb. What a signing he has been.

Stevens 7/10 – Not his best game in terms of seeing his attacking side but he stuck to his task and I felt he was able to do the defensive side well. His passing and runs forward did not come to anything and he was mostly in our half.

Fleck 6.5/10 – Felt that he was not in the game at all first half and I barely noticed him at all. Did not win tackles or get on the ball. After the break improved and was snapping at ankles, picking up loose bits and also driving with the ball more. Had one good run and cross.

Norwood 6/10 – Started the game by sitting back and he gave the ball away twice that nearly put them in. He got a booing for a silly foul and then soon after nearly gave them a chance with another giveaway. On the ball he did not see it much apart from set plays as they pressed us quite high up so he went long quite a bit and did not find his target. Great in swinging corner for the goal. 2nd half he got involved more but was taken off as we wanted more legs in the middle.

Lundstram 7.5/10 – Thought he was our best midfielder again. He has been all season. First half only one he got his foot in a bit and broke things up and after the break he got on the ball more and made some calm, composed interceptions, showing his strength at times. His ball for the goal was superb. What a revelation he has been so far this season and surprised many of us in adapting so well to this level.

McBurnie 6/10 – First half not in the game at all and lost the few headers/challenges he had. He started to win more after the break and gave them more to worry about but not sure he did much with the ball and very little link play. He worked hard and tried to do a job for the team but he was starved of the ball and had to go looking for it.

Robinson 4/10 – Our poorest player. He too did not get much service and was a spectator for long spells but thought McBurnie at least put himself about more. He was not really pressuring them and when he had a few balls to chase he was worryingly outpaced twice even by Coleman and Keane. I get it is hard away from home when we don’t have much of the ball but I still feel he needs to do more. I am not sure he touched the ball much all game. I think he has been the least effective of the front players so far this season despite a good performance 2nd half at Chelsea and needs to do more. I would play him on Wednesday to get him some game time where he may see more of the ball.

Subs –

Mousset – Another great impact when he came on. He is quick and mobile and can run at defenders but he is more than that. He links well and holds it up intelligently and buys us time so we can get players up with him. Had a few good runs before the goal but then when he had his chance, he took it superbly with a cool finish. Seems to love playing for us and a popular teammate too it seems. I would give him a start in the cup but keep him on the bench for now. He is having an impact in this role and thus would not quite see him as a starter as odd as that seems. Been a really tonic the last two away games and helped us to acquire 4 massive points.

Jagielka – Must have been emotional for him to go back and great to be part of a winning United team too. He was steady and calm when they kept attacking and got a few clearances in. Great guy to have in reserve or in the event of injury.

Osborn – He is another that is quietly doing his job when he comes on. Not sure we will see much of him as a starter but he gets up and down and has real energy which is great when you are seeing games out.

Manager Wilder 8.5/10 – What can you say? Clean sheet and an away win at a team that had not lost at home since January and that was to City. We were organised, resolute and hard to beat. In fact, hard for them to create anything. Showed we can play a different way and this reminded me of some of the gritty away wins (Leeds/WBA) when we were more cautious in our approach. Will feel we can do much better with the ball but so many other qualities to admire. The subs all worked individually and collectively too. Loved his honesty in his Match of the Day interview.

Everton – A team I reckoned had an outside chance of the top 6 but not sure they will be even that close. Silva has spent a lot of money as has his predecessors. They have a very big squad and lots of talent but not sure it meshes. I think they have some players in defence like Keane and Coleman (not the player he was) that are not as good as they think they are and in midfield they have some nice ball players but they are not the sort that are going to run past people. They did have a lot of the ball and obviously they have attackers like Richarlison and Sigurdsson who can do something out of nothing but they also have a lot of players when it goes wrong, their heads can go and these two showed that today. They missed Andre Gomes who is a really good player but up top even though they have spent a lot on Kean and Iwobi, not sure they are worth what they have paid. They seem to keep going back to Calvert Lewin who does not score enough. I was glad he did not come on, not that I rate him that highly but thought it was inevitable he would score. They ended up by the hour mark just crossing the ball and lumping it and ran out of ideas completely. They had a lot of the ball but did very little with it. I think we were panicking in the away end more than we needed to be. Defensively Pickford makes mistakes too as shown on the first goal and not convinced by Mina either. I like the lad Digne and think he is a good player but he can be got at defensively.

The Manager is now under pressure and they have Man City at home next! It has been a poor few weeks for them. I am not sure they have much leadership on the pitch. Delph was brought in for this but he looks a shadow of the player he was once and his legs seem to have gone.

Opposition man of the match – Not sure anyone was that great. Our defence did a great job on the strikers. Digne got forward well and always a threat with his set plays. Bernard was lively at times and maybe did more than some of his more illustrious team mates.

Opposition weak link – I do not rate Michael Keane and think he can be got at with the ball over the top. He showed that today. Many of their top attacking players did not click. The lad Kean had on effort but looked quite clumsy and Walcott was awful when he came on – what has happened to that lad – surely, he is destined for the Championship now? Sigurdsson cost 45 million. FOURTY FIVE. He plays one good game in about five. Guess your money does not go as far as it once did. However, Pickford missed the ball on the first and was nutmegged on the second so he takes it just by the fact we only had two shots on target (one really) and both went in.

Referee / VAR review – I thought the ref, Simon Hooper, had a decent game and one of the better ones we have had this season. He let things flow, got most decisions right and tried not to give fouls for every little thing. He did not fall from some pathetic theatrics and playacting from the Everton players either often waving some desperate attempts for fouls off. He got most of the bookings right (he could have booked Kean in the incident though for the 3 bookings in the melee).

We had the flip side of a VAR going for us today although not quite sure why it was made so clear to be a review from the ref’s TV signal? Surely, they review every goal anyway by him listening to his ear piece and there was no real clear foul at all? I could not see it at all from the far end and just assumed there would be a foul on the keeper and we would have it chalked off so was pleasantly surprised when it went for us. However, I did not celebrate on the first occasion and not like normal even on the second as the moment had gone a bit. It is an odd experience and United’s fans chanting ‘F**k VAR!’ maybe in jest or perhaps to question why it was even used in the way it was here. I mentioned it above but we had nothing on the screen to say a review was taking place and nothing to say the goal was given on the screen. It was really crap and those in the ground again taken for granted massively. There was no doubt on the second with never any question of VAR coming into play.

The officials though were fine today – easy to say when we won but I just felt we did not notice them much (outside of the VAR one) and that is how you want the game to be. We did slow things down massively and I thought we might get more than 4 minutes stoppage time so that pleased me!

Crowd / Day Out – Firstly, the view I had was really poor. I had a sheet in front of the goal at our end which you could see through but it was not great. I did not even buy it as restricted view (listen on the pod for more thoughts on Goodison etc). The ground is so tired and old. Yes, it has history and great to have a ground like this and not just a league full of new, modern, bland grounds. However, it had had it now and they need to move – this seems to be dragging but eventually they will move to Bramley Moore Dock – so away from the Stanley Park area. Inside the ground the facilities are cramped and overcrowded – so those fans milling around at half time were almost trapped in. You could barely get to the toilet or back to your seat. It is the same in the streets round the ground with a lot of congestion in the narrow streets where houses are right next to the ground. Imagine also how it must be when you open your curtains and see Howard Kendall’s giant head starting at you every morning! (on the Gwlady’s Street end there are pictures depicting their greatest every manager all over the back of the stand).

Getting in was quite complicated too. We had checks for tickets, body searches and then dogs! We then were directed to a different queue to get in. Inside, the Blades fans were superb and in great voice throughout. Great scenes on the 2nd goal and full time in particular! Inside the concourse not sure why fans feel the need to throw beer everywhere and all over fans who don’t want to take part in that sort of antics but just want to get past and go to the toilet. We had the McBurnie song and also one about Prince Abdullah driving a Ford Cortina bringing back dodgy money from Al Qaedia. Superb to go out at full time listening to disgruntled Everton fans as we came away. Been a long time coming an away win at this level so brilliant to be there to see it!

The rest of the day was as always about having a few beers etc. We got in on the packed 8.40am from Sheffield and went down to the Cavern Club for a few beers pre game and then had a beer in a terrace overlooking the Radio Tower in the sun as we knew it might be the last time this season we get to do this; well until later in the season. We then headed up to the Ropewalks for some lunch and a few more drinks. We ended up having a beer at the Philharmonic pub on Hope Street where you can see both the Met Cathedral and the traditional big old Cathedral (biggest in Europe I believe?). We got a taxi to the ground and had a final beer at the Royal Oak right next to the ground.

After the game, we went to a few dirty boozers to let the traffic clear, struggled to get an uber/cab before finally getting one and going down to the Cairns Brewery Village. Good down here – very like Kelham Island is with a big warehouse bit like Peddler with lots of food places and also loads of different drinking places in there and all around the Brewery. We stayed here for a while and then ended up walking back to Lime Street to get the 9.30pm ish train back. Got back home around midnight and watched Match of the Day and then went to bed. What a great day!

Although Chris said that was the worst we've played so far, which btw I agree with, I do think it's intentional to keep it tight away in the first half and frustrate the home team. If we go in 0-0 at half time I'm always optimistic that we can get something second half.
Note :- this may not work next week 😀

fantastic read thankyou for the time and effort you and your friends put in, dont give up, its great to listen too. Egan my MOTM, a 9 in my few, because he was pretty much flawless.

Yes we defended well, but our offence was completely inept and Everton was utterly shite. I can’t remember any point in the game when we controlled the ball or strung together 3 or more passes. Lucky win imo.
I thought we improved when Norwood went off as well.

and great stuff mr.DB

Lundstram might be an 8/10 on reflection

Usual high standard DB, as always an accurate description of each player's performance and how the team played throughout.

Egan sounds as if he was playing from the Bobby Moore handbook, didn't put a foot wrong, and showed aspiring young players that there's an art to defending.
In my time watching football there have been wonderful practitioners of the defensive arts, players such as Ray Wilson, once of Huddersfield but made his name at Everton as a superbly effective left back. Jack Charlton was also cut from superior defensive cloth and was as tough as old boots. You cannot avoid mentioning Bobby Moore, one of the all time greats and possibly one of the best of all time. Fast forwarding, and I know this will cause dissent with some (due to his Sky punditry) but Jamie Carragher was a rock as a defender, what he lacked in pace he more than made up with superb positional awareness. Also, Nemanja Vidic was one of those players you'd refer to as a warrior. Uncompromising, fearless, and always played to his strengths, a wonderful player. I cannot end this without mentioning one of the greats of the English game, Mark Lawrenson. If a player ever deserved to be call a thoroughbred it was Lawrenson. For me he was a once in a generation player and had quality to spare. Before anyone comments, I've selected players who appeared in the English game, so don't mention Maldini............

Which brings me back to Egan. Some players step up to the plate and JE is one of our players who may surpass whatever expectations we had. He was excellent yesterday and Wilder did well to sign him. I recall a time, I think it was under Clough, when we had no dedicated central defenders, and the absence of solid defensive players was as obvious as a sore thumb. Now we have one of the best defensive units I can recall, they're well coached, disciplined, and are capable of playing to the highest levels demanded of them.........for what it's worth, Egan was a 9/10 yesterday. What a player!!!

PS. Wilder is surely deserving of at least a 9/10? C'mon DB, give the great man a deserving hike in rating. Don't forget, this is 0-2 away at Everton who've spent well over £150 million on their squad.

Great result we owe Everton that for all the scull-doggery v Wimbledon that sent Harry's team down

Quiz question what was the team that won with zero shots on target [they won 1:0 with an o.g.] v Who? in the premiership

McBurnie 6/10 – First half not in the game at all and lost the few headers/challenges he had. He started to win more after the break and gave them more to worry about but not sure he did much with the ball and very little link play. He worked hard and tried to do a job for the team but he was starved of the ball and had to go looking for it.

Apparently was receiving treatment right up to kickoff yesterday after getting a bit of an injury in the warmup. “Put his body on the line” said Wilder.

Add that to the McGoldrick injury and I’m betting Sharp will be absolutely kicking himself that he’s suspended while other strikers are picking up niggles.

Usual high standard DB, as always an accurate description of each player's performance and how the team played throughout.

Egan sounds as if he was playing from the Bobby Moore handbook, didn't put a foot wrong, and showed aspiring young players that there's an art to defending.
In my time watching football there have been wonderful practitioners of the defensive arts, players such as Ray Wilson, once of Huddersfield but made his name at Everton as a superbly effective left back. Jack Charlton was also cut from superior defensive cloth and was as tough as old boots. You cannot avoid mentioning Bobby Moore, one of the all time greats and possibly one of the best of all time. Fast forwarding, and I know this will cause dissent with some (due to his Sky punditry) but Jamie Carragher was a rock as a defender, what he lacked in pace he more than made up with superb positional awareness. Also, Nemanja Vidic was one of those players you'd refer to as a warrior. Uncompromising, fearless, and always played to his strengths, a wonderful player. I cannot end this without mentioning one of the greats of the English game, Mark Lawrenson. If a player ever deserved to be call a thoroughbred it was Lawrenson. For me he was a once in a generation player and had quality to spare. Before anyone comments, I've selected players who appeared in the English game, so don't mention Maldini............

Which brings me back to Egan. Some players step up to the plate and JE is one of our players who may surpass whatever expectations we had. He was excellent yesterday and Wilder did well to sign him. I recall a time, I think it was under Clough, when we had no dedicated central defenders, and the absence of solid defensive players was as obvious as a sore thumb. Now we have one of the best defensive units I can recall, they're well coached, disciplined, and are capable of playing to the highest levels demanded of them.........for what it's worth, Egan was a 9/10 yesterday. What a player!!!

PS. Wilder is surely deserving of at least a 9/10? C'mon DB, give the great man a deserving hike in rating. Don't forget, this is 0-2 away at Everton who've spent well over £150 million on their squad.
No mention of Paul McGrath?!

No mention of Paul McGrath?!

As I wrote I knew I'd forgotten one or two others, and McGrath of all players, who played for the mighty Blades if only for a short time. Watching him was like watching men against boys. Talent like that comes from somewhere that no one knows, perhaps you can refine it a little, but it's a natural talent and one I was blessed to watch throughout PM's career.

It helps Lundstram when we have forwards who make runs behind the defence. Norwood will find them and so will L.Freeman. Maybe Fleck too. Morrison definitely.

We have pace and 'legs' at last.

Was looking forward to this one. Still the best read on the forum. Cheers Deadbat

I don't normally question your ratings but what did Egan have to do to earn more than 8.5?

Spoken word below and audio versions here also

Pre match Podcast -

Post match Podcast -

United recorded their first away victory back in the Premier League thanks to a superbly organised performance at Goodison Park. The Blades won for the first time at this level since winning at Wigan in December 2006 and the first victory by two clear goals in the top flight since a win at Everton in 1993!

An own goal from Yerry Mina and a Lys Mousset strike saw United take the three points back to Sheffield. In truth it was the poorest United have played and certainly with the ball, they were careless or lacking in control. We created barely a chance but were clinical when we did and defended superbly with an organised and resolute display.

United made changes with David McGoldrick ruled out with a groin strain and Callum Robinson coming back in. There was no Billy Sharp (suspension) or Mo Besic (ineligible) in the squad but Phil Jagielka was on the bench against the club he used to skipper. Kieron Freeman also was named as a substitute for the first time this season.

Everton began with former Blade Dominic Calvert Lewin but had a side packed full of quality, experience and internationals both in the starting line up and in reserve.

United fans were in good voice as the Blades kicked towards the Gwladys Street End. Everton began well though knocking the ball about well and forced an early corner. Richarlison and Sigurdsson were getting into little pockets and looking to make things happen but United kept a good shape. The home side won a free kick and then a corner before Basham and Kean tussled and much to the anger of the home side the free kick went United’s way. United had struggled to see much off the ball and the front two were starved of possession. Most of the game was being played in United’s half and Norwood tripped Delph by illegal means, leading to a booking after the game was eventually stopped.

Everton had a few efforts well off target with Richarlison shooting over and then Bernard had a shot go wide. The first effort on target came when Digne had a shot that Henderson pushed away

A few moments later Baldock let the ball go out and took objection to Richarlison barging into him and tempers became brayed with the United man responding and Bernard getting into his grill and a number of players surrounding the scene. Baldock and Bernard were booked and Henderson also got a yellow card. Quite how Kean escaped as he had shoved the United keeper and Egan is anybody’s guess.

Everton continued to dominate and United were doing well to restrict them to any clear-cut chances but were not getting out at all with a rare O’Connell raid ended when he overhit the cross. Everton came again and Richarlison tried an acrobatic volley that went over before Kean blazed over the bar. United managed to win a corner after a brief and rare bit of possession.

From the Norwood delivery United took the lead against the run of play. The ball was swung over into the near post and in a sea of bodies Pickford missed it and it went in off MINA’S (OG) head as he stopped near the line. It seemed a while before people had realised it had gone in and then even after this, we had a signal for VAR from the referee. The fans in the ground had no idea what was going on with nothing shown on the big screen to indicate a review after the referee had made the clear signal. Finally, the referee pointed to the centre circle and United were ahead and had scored in the first half of a game; something they had not done so far before today.

Everton could not really mount any meaningful attacks before the break and United went in with an unlikely lead.

After the break, the Blades seemed to be making a conscious effort to play higher up the field and Fleck and Lundstram got more involved. McBurnie also was holding the ball up better. O’Connell advanced and won a corner that Everton cleared. The home side came back and Bernard linked with Kean but Egan stepped in. The same man cleared a header when under pressure moments later as United’s defence continued to hold firm.

Everton did create a chance when the ball somehow found its way through and Kean was in on the angle but Henderson smothered from point blank range. This was probably Everton’s best chance of the game and the only real time Henderson had been troubled despite a number of attempts on goal.

Schneiderlin and Bernard were given the hook from Marco Silva as he brought on two forwards in Iwobi, Tosun and were now really going for it with four strikers on the field.

The game was more even this half and United were keeping the ball better and were winning more of the loose stuff. Mousset came on for Robinson to give United another outlet and then Jagielka came on for Norwood with Basham switching into the centre of midfield. All four sides of Goodison gave Jags a he ovation as he entered the field. Egan and then O’Connell made timely interceptions but Everton were not really penetrating the United backline. More good work from Lundstram saw him hold off a challenge and advance but Stevens could not make hay down the left-hand side.

Walcott came on for Coleman and Everton now had effectively five attackers/wingers on the pitch! United continued to take the sting out of things with Henderson claiming a through ball and then Baldock and Lundstram tidying up.

Egan made another superb tackle as United kept a really solid shape but then Fleck got around the back and stood up a cross which Basham headed wide in a rare chance for United. Mousset’s pace and touch was already causing problems for Keane who got turned twice in quick succession.

With the clock on 78 minutes United got the vital second goal. Lundstram strode away and clipped a beautiful ball down the inside right channel which saw MOUSSET run beyond the defence. The striker coolly skipped the ball under Pickford’s legs and into the net. He sprinted towards the delirious United fans and was joined by his teammates.

Osborn came on for McBurnie as United sought to slow things down further but Everton were now making mistakes all over the field and often overplayed final balls. Some home fans had seen enough and were starting to leave. Egan got his foot in again to clear and then Walcott ran the ball out. United were now sensing victory was theirs as the game went into four minutes of stoppage time. Everton won a free kick in a dangerous position but the free kick was wasted. The final moments saw United see things out in relative comfort before the final whistle saw the players and management head to the away fans to celebrate with them.

United – It is odd as in many ways the worst we have played. We sat back way too deep a times, particularly first half and did not see much of the ball at all. When we had it, we lumped it or panicked too often, again more so in the first half. The front two were starved of the ball and even the midfield could not get into the game. Everton dominated possession and all game we created very little with a handful of attacks of note. However, Everton only had one really big chance when Kean got in and Henderson saved. They had so many attacks and 70% possession with 16 shots to our 2! However, only 3 on target. Digna had a shot saved and maybe one other effort that I can’t remember outside that aforementioned chance in the 2nd half. I cannot recall them getting in much at all and they constantly just knocked crosses over we cleared or could not get around us. Our defence was superb all game. Marshalled by Egan who was the man pf the match but O’Connell and Bash were very good too. Jags also did his part when he came on. The wing backs barely got forward but they were solid and kept disciplined knowing they could not bomb on due to the possession Everton had in midfield. I was a bit disappointed with our midfield at times as they did not get the ball and lost too many 50/50 stuff and when they had it, they just punted it or helped it on. The front two did little but also did not get in front of their man. McBurnie was better than Robinson who was poor but hard for both with little of the ball. The midfield and McBurnie improved after the break. Lundstram had been our best player maybe in the first half and he started to see more of it and Fleck got involved more too. The whole team improved even if they still had more possession but we played more football and at least had some attacks. The 2nd half was a bit more balanced. Everton still had many more attacks and more of the ball but with us leading it was always going to be like that. Not sure why we are so slow to start games at the moment but our first halves have not been good enough in terms of tempo and doing the bits and pieces so we have more of the ball. We also have been careless in possession and panicked and got rid too early. However, we did start to play pockets of stuff 2nd half and Mousset helped with his pace and his good hold up. Many will be saying he should start but I am not sure. I think he is fine at the moment as an impact sub with McBurnie weathering them over the game and then he comes on against tired legs. Robinson has to do more.

The big positives for me were the defence and the shape of the team for long periods. We never got outstretched and never got done on the break. We were so organised and we got in tackles, blocks and interceptions. Egan was superb as I have said and the others not far behind. Henderson also was really solid. It was a superb away performance in terms of that side, the organisation and togetherness and thou shalt not pass attitude. We broke out and scored an excellent second and then saw it out quite easy against a team that are normally so good at home. It was a perfect away performance in that sense but what makes me even more hopeful is we have not played amazing this season and still never looked out of place. We have been in every game and not one team has outplayed or outfootballed us yet (might come next week!) and we can do better – in terms of with the football and how we start games. I think some players at the top end of the pitch can improve – not one of the forwards outside of Mousset has really staked a claim to be first choice every week yet. Goals are being spread around and own goal also moved to the top of the United scoring chart! A useful player going back to the days of BODIN OG for United!

A big win. After last week I felt if we lost today and of course with Liverpool next week, then you think we could be in the bottom three and you start to worry but today was massive. We now do have a bit of a free hit next week – I know Wilder does not like that phrase but it is. Hopefully, we can have a really memorable day at the Lane against the European Champions. The Lane will be sold out and rocking so it’s important United start the game well (not like Watford did at City!) and show the country what we can do. The plaudits yesterday and in some games has been about our organisation and work ethic which is good but not sure we have played the football we can do yet, even if we have to temper it at times at this level so want this side of our game to hopefully come out more. Now though after the result yesterday it has become a good start. If we could somehow nick something and then win at Watford, it would be a superb start.

Ratings:

Henderson 7.5/10 – Solid. Caught most things and was on his game in terms of positioning and coming for things when balls came through. Made one easy save and then one very good one. His kicking is still atrocious.

Baldock 7.5/10 – Played really well again. He did not get forward much but I think his defensive side has really improved. He did not get beat all game, made some good interceptions and tackles. Silly booking but do like the way he showed some fire and was not having them taking liberties.

Basham 8/10 – Thought he had a really good game today. He makes mistakes with the ball sometimes but he was very good defensively and like the other two, did not let them get in at all. When he went into midfield, he did his chase it and kick it tactic superbly and nearly got a goal with a header!

O’Connell 8/10 – First half got caught a few times but after this spell he improved and was excellent. He did get forward a couple of times but his crosses came to nothing. He was brilliant 2nd half in his defensive work, making tackles and getting his foot in. He was very calm and composed also.

Egan 8.5/10 – Superb. A rock. A colossus. Whatever term you want to use. He seemed to be magnetised to the ball in the way that Maguire is for Man Utd. He won headers, tackles, blocks and interceptions. He did not get beat all game and was just superb. What a signing he has been.

Stevens 7/10 – Not his best game in terms of seeing his attacking side but he stuck to his task and I felt he was able to do the defensive side well. His passing and runs forward did not come to anything and he was mostly in our half.

Fleck 6.5/10 – Felt that he was not in the game at all first half and I barely noticed him at all. Did not win tackles or get on the ball. After the break improved and was snapping at ankles, picking up loose bits and also driving with the ball more. Had one good run and cross.

Norwood 6/10 – Started the game by sitting back and he gave the ball away twice that nearly put them in. He got a booing for a silly foul and then soon after nearly gave them a chance with another giveaway. On the ball he did not see it much apart from set plays as they pressed us quite high up so he went long quite a bit and did not find his target. Great in swinging corner for the goal. 2nd half he got involved more but was taken off as we wanted more legs in the middle.

Lundstram 7.5/10 – Thought he was our best midfielder again. He has been all season. First half only one he got his foot in a bit and broke things up and after the break he got on the ball more and made some calm, composed interceptions, showing his strength at times. His ball for the goal was superb. What a revelation he has been so far this season and surprised many of us in adapting so well to this level.

Robinson 4/10 – Our poorest player. He too did not get much service and was a spectator for long spells but thought McBurnie at least put himself about more. He was not really pressuring them and when he had a few balls to chase he was worryingly outpaced twice even by Coleman and Keane. I get it is hard away from home when we don’t have much of the ball but I still feel he needs to do more. I am not sure he touched the ball much all game. I think he has been the least effective of the front players so far this season despite a good performance 2nd half at Chelsea and needs to do more. I would play him on Wednesday to get him some game time where he may see more of the ball.

Subs –

Mousset – Another great impact when he came on. He is quick and mobile and can run at defenders but he is more than that. He links well and holds it up intelligently and buys us time so we can get players up with him. Had a few good runs before the goal but then when he had his chance, he took it superbly with a cool finish. Seems to love playing for us and a popular teammate too it seems. I would give him a start in the cup but keep him on the bench for now. He is having an impact in this role and thus would not quite see him as a starter as odd as that seems. Been a really tonic the last two away games and helped us to acquire 4 massive points.

Jagielka – Must have been emotional for him to go back and great to be part of a winning United team too. He was steady and calm when they kept attacking and got a few clearances in. Great guy to have in reserve or in the event of injury.

Osborn – He is another that is quietly doing his job when he comes on. Not sure we will see much of him as a starter but he gets up and down and has real energy which is great when you are seeing games out.

Manager Wilder 8.5/10 – What can you say? Clean sheet and an away win at a team that had not lost at home since January and that was to City. We were organised, resolute and hard to beat. In fact, hard for them to create anything. Showed we can play a different way and this reminded me of some of the gritty away wins (Leeds/WBA) when we were more cautious in our approach. Will feel we can do much better with the ball but so many other qualities to admire. The subs all worked individually and collectively too. Loved his honesty in his Match of the Day interview.

As great as ever - cheers

Great result we owe Everton that for all the scull-doggery v Wimbledon that sent Harry's team down

Quiz question what was the team that won with zero shots on target [they won 1:0 with an o.g.] v Who? in the premiership
Do not know who won, but remember Man City being the losing team, as took the piss out of a City fan at work.

Sunderland v West Brom in ‘06

If the lad from Cork carries on like this I'm gonna stop whittling about the price of Guiness and also stop bangin' on about Joe Shaw

Harsh on Egan that, nothing more he could have possibly done. 10/10 for me, absolute brick wall. Agree with the rest, although I thought McBurnie was as weak as Robinson.

Mousset came on for Robinson to give United another outlet and then Jagielka came on for Norwood with Basham switching into the centre of midfield.

Did Egan get the armband for the first time for us btw when Norwood went off?

Sigurdsson cost 45 million. FOURTY FIVE. He plays one good game in about five. Guess your money does not go as far as it once did.

I watched the game on Bein (with an English commentary for once) and it was said that since the new owners had taken over from Kenwright they had bought 15 players at £20m or above. What have they been doing with their money???

I think Richarlison is worth a mention. What a cheating cunt he is, hitting the deck prior to the tackle coming in more than once and rolling about on the deck when no-one had touched him twice.

Cheers as always DB. Essential post-win reading!

Agree with most of it. Would probably mark Baldock down a 0.5 for his over-the-top reaction with Bernard. I love his style and commitment, but stuff like that is unnecessarily risking a red card. Apart from that, I though he was fantastic, though.

I’d also mark Stevens a 0.5 up. He won the corner (from a lovely Norwood ball), which was pretty much our only foray into their half in the first half. He also did beat his man a few times in the second half, but they often had a second man covering. I think he’s been identified as one of our main attacking threats. He was full on solid defensively.

Back
Top Bottom