Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ThatJa

Bigger Blade than United's Arab Emirate
Reaction score
With the UK and Ireland winning rights for Euro 2028, will we stand a chance of hosting a game after the success of the womens Euro's?

We should be going all out to try and be part of the competition imo, I really enjoyed the Womens Euro's

It's scandalous that 'the home of football' continues to get overlooked.

That said, there's that many better stadiums, both aesthetically and geographically that we're probably about 30th on the list.

That said, there's that many better stadiums, both aesthetically and geographically that we're probably about 30th on the list.

It's also scandalous that the Theatre of Rust, doesn't get its 30 yearly, free subsidised make over.

Don't they know how massive they are, down in S6?

I'm afraid this is the price for, largely, 30 years of lack of investment in improving the stadium (which arises from having basically 4 years in the PL in that time.

Had we had anything like, say, Norwich's record for PL seasons in the last 30 years, we might have a stadium that is 40k by now.

As it is, we aren`t ever likely to see senior mens international football in the city without one of the grounds undergoing a significant transformation.

Not sure I agree with the geographically part. I think the women's Euros showed Bramall Lane is perfect in that regard.

The scandal is that 'the home of football' does fuck all to capitalise on its importance in the history of the largest societal phenomenon on the planet, the blind and deaf fuckwits at the wheel and the general laissez faire attitude of its population.

The scandal is that 'the home of football' does fuck all to capitalise on its importance in the history of the largest societal phenomenon on the planet, the blind and deaf fuckwits at the wheel and the general laissez faire attitude of its population.

I've always found this strange but what else could the city offer to out of town football fans who's team aren't playing United or Wednesday? The National Football museum is bang in the middle of Manchester, next to Victoria train station, you'll get away fans visiting when their teams play Man Utd or City and football tourists who come to watch both Manchester teams.

I don't want to visit Sheffield unless I go into the office or watch United play, what hope do we have attracting people who've only heard of us and never visited..?

We need to up our game for this one.
Flares up the arse just won't cut it for 2028.

Guess this is related but what’s the hotel capacity like in Sheffield? Another matter to take into consideration is facilities and I don’t just mean stadium federations need to book world class facilities to for their players to train and maybe even stay. Hardly anything close is there

Guess this is related but what’s the hotel capacity like in Sheffield? Another matter to take into consideration is facilities and I don’t just mean stadium federations need to book world class facilities to for their players to train and maybe even stay. Hardly anything close is there
Yeah there’s not enough rooms. Definitely not enough quality hotel rooms.

Then people moaned when it was announced about the Radisson opening on Pinstone Street.

No. Grounds already picked. The only one below 50k is in Belfast

Apparently the rebuild to casement park in Belfast is around 120mil. The gaa(whose ground who it belongs to) are saying/adamant that they wont put in no more than 15mil ?
Because of gaa rules i cant see it being used for anything else but gaelic sports after.
So why would the British Government throw away 105mil when it could be used in the NHS

So why would the British Government throw away 105mil when it could be used in the NHS
They clearly shouldn`t. There are multiple stadia far more suited to hosting a major international tournament, even if you exclude England as we already have the majority of stadia. There are even more if you don`t care about the capacity being over 30k...

Croke park
Ibrox
Celtic Park
Murryfield
Cardiff city

And then if you throw in more in England

Emirates
Stamford bridge
Old Trafford
Anfield
Sunderland

Below is the list of cities and stadiums already chosen for the Euro tournament, in order from highest capacity to lowest:

Remember it's a UK bid not an England bid, so the number of English stadia that can be used is limited to just SIX, with 1 on Scotland, 1 in Wales, 1 in Eire and 1 in N.Ireland. There nothing for Yorkshire, appreciate the capacities are too small but the FA could have thrown some money at it to increase the capacity of a Yorkshire club.
The stand out commissions are Anfield (choosing the new Everton stadium instead) and incredibly the Old Trafford is left out (choosing the Man City stadium).

Other more understandable omissions are the Arsenal and West Ham stadia, choosing Tottenham stadium.
So it's not a case of bigger the capacity the better, the FA have judged on quality of stadia, the more modern the better.

Also notice how Villa Park currently has a capacity of 42K, however they have guaranteed that when the tournament is played Villa Park will be increased to 52K.

The Man City stadium also currently has a capacity of 52K but this will shortly be increased to 61K by building an extra tier behind the goal, so the whole stadium become symmetrical. Also there are constant rumours that Newcastle are hoping to increase their capacity to around 60K too by building another tier behind the goal, so it's symmetrical on 3 sides (like Old Trafford) instead of the current daft looking 2 sides.

If the judgement is based on modern stadia with modern facilities to impress the corporate brigade and VIP's then of course Bramall Lane and especially Hillsboro wouldn't stand a chance with it's more traditional facilities, look and charm (traditional is a nice way of saying old fashioned).

Last edited:
Below is the list of cities and stadiums already chosen for the Euro tournament, in order from highest capacity to lowest:

Remember it's a UK bid not an England bid, so the number of English stadia that can be used is limited to just SIX, with 1 on Scotland, 1 in Wales, 1 in Eire and 1 in N.Ireland. There nothing for Yorkshire, appreciate the capacities are too small but the FA could have thrown some money at it to increase the capacity of a Yorkshire club.
The stand out commissions are Anfield (choosing the new Everton stadium instead) and incredibly the Old Trafford is left out (choosing the Man City stadium).

Other more understandable omissions are the Arsenal and West Ham stadia, choosing Tottenham stadium.
So it's not a case of bigger the capacity the better, the FA have judged on quality of stadia, the more modern the better.

Also notice how Villa Park currently has a capacity of 42K, however they have guaranteed that when the tournament is played Villa Park will be increased to 52K.

The Man City stadium also currently has a capacity of 52K but this will shortly be increased to 61K by building an extra tier behind the goal, so the whole stadium become symmetrical. Also there are constant rumours that Newcastle are hoping to increase their capacity to around 60K too by building another tier behind the goal, so it's symmetrical on 3 sides (like Old Trafford) instead of the current daft looking 2 sides.

If the judgement is based on modern stadia with modern facilities to impress the corporate brigade and VIP's then of course Bramall Lane and especially Hillsboro wouldn't stand a chance with it's more traditional facilities, look and charm (traditional is a nice way of saying old fashioned).
Isn’t there also the fact that they have to fit in somewhere 40 odd press boxes for commentary which is normally done by taking over part of the stand

This would reduce us down to maybe 25000 which to be fair isn’t nowhere near enough

This was Lyon at euro 2016

IMG_2994.jpeg

i think theyve got it spot on which utterly boring because we love to slag the organisers off. but 10 stadiums chosen are the correct stadiums because they have the right balance of modern & big capacities. i wouldve chosen elland rd because i think its unfair that north west get 2 & yorkshire gets nothing, but i understand why new everton stadium been picked

but we never stood a chance because you have to be 60,000 seater stadium, that is never going to happen in sheffield, so that rules us out

I've always found this strange but what else could the city offer to out of town football fans who's team aren't playing United or Wednesday? The National Football museum is bang in the middle of Manchester, next to Victoria train station, you'll get away fans visiting when their teams play Man Utd or City and football tourists who come to watch both Manchester teams.

I don't want to visit Sheffield unless I go into the office or watch United play, what hope do we have attracting people who've only heard of us and never visited..?
We have Derbyshire, Staffordshire,Leictershire all within 1hours Drive!!

It’s right that the bigger capacity stadia get to showcase what we have In England alone.

Giving it to Elland Road, just to fill a Yorkshire quota would be wrong.

It also shows how far the English Stadia have come. When we bid for WC 2018 we proposed upgrades to the lane which would take our capacity over the minimum 45k (or possibly 40k) but the game has moved on so much now that we have Stadia which supass 60k in many northern cities.

Old Trafford and Elland Road are both rightly omitted as they are old grounds with bolted on new sections. Old Trafford, whilst big is a limited ground in modern terms and not Stadiums in the sense of many new builds

Plenty of Northern options for those wanting to go to games. And they all have international airports in their cities. You’d have to go to Doncaster or Bradford to get a Yorkshire town/ city with an airport

Possibly shows how far behind Yorkshire is compared to our North West and North East Neighbours

Back
Top Bottom