Roy's View From... Espanyol Fans Views On Vinícius Souza

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Thanks Roy.

Just goes to show that many football fans all over the world are bitter & love to stick the boot in to players who leave "their" club for another. Plenty of cry babies on our own Berge thread too.

Well that was much more balanced than the preview suggested. Sounds like there's a player in there somewhere but maybe struggles a bit with motivation, which happens to be Hecky's specialty.

I'm discounting Espanyol fans on the basis that they play in blue and white stripes, say no more!

As an eternal optimist I'm just gonna assume that Google Translate fucked up big time - or maybe Roy selected the wrong country?

I wonder, given the fact that big Vince is a bit of a destroyer, how much your average Spanish football fan appreciates that kind of player given their game is so heavily based around short passing and possession.

Just in the same way players who run around a lot here automatically gain praise, whilst those who pass sideways or (god forbid) backwards are told to ‘gerritforrrud’.

The comparison with Berge comments on here is a good one as plenty wrote him off given he was 6 foot 4 but didn’t like a tackle. Therefore dismissing what he was very good at, carrying the ball, retaining possession, popping up in good goal scoring positions. If he was 5 foot nothing we’d all be calling him a little wizard.

Maybe just wishful thinking.

“He is positionally inauspicious. He misses the mark, leaves spaces….he alone can never play as the only defensive midfielder “

Only just noticing a few of these now.
He's our only big, aggressive baller winner and it seems his old fans knew he couldn't cut it on his own holding, and I think that's what we've bought him for judging by the other midfielders we've brought in.

I’m not convinced by him yet at all. Most games it’s like he’s not even there.

Yes there’s a tackle in there, but there’s also a big hole in the middle, which gets us overloaded and conceding shots.

Where should he play? What’s his best position? Genuinely asking as I can’t figure it out.

He’s like a physical ball winner who doesn’t win the ball and then shrugs as if there’s nothing else he can do.

I’m not convinced by him yet at all. Most games it’s like he’s not even there.

Yes there’s a tackle in there, but there’s also a big hole in the middle, which gets us overloaded and conceding shots.

Where should he play? What’s his best position? Genuinely asking as I can’t figure it out.

He’s like a physical ball winner who doesn’t win the ball and then shrugs as if there’s nothing else he can do.

Has to be as deep as possible for me.
That's why I think moving to a back 4 might suit him. That said, didn't he look a lot faster and more dynamic in Spain? Judging by the highlights anyway.

We'd be clamouring for the 8-0 "glory days" in no time if we try that.
Maybe Fjortoft but there been a number of players successfully transition from midfield to defence including Jags. Vincent Kompany is another example as is Fabinho.

Physically he's got the tools and beggars can't be choosers and all that !

It would seem the stars are aligning for us to play 4 at the back (i.e. injuries are screwing us again). Souza as a deep defensive midfielder, shielding the two(!) centre backs at all times, makes all sorts of sense.

It would seem the stars are aligning for us to play 4 at the back (i.e. injuries are screwing us again). Souza as a deep defensive midfielder, shielding the two(!) centre backs at all times, makes all sorts of sense.
Anonymous at fulham & West ham, not on his own though, it's looking like £10 mill down the shitter to me.

Anonymous at fulham & West ham, not on his own though, it's looking like £10 mill down the shitter to me.
I see a lot of people saying this, but the team hasn't gelled and is low on confidence - he's definitely shown flashes of being a good defensive midfielder. He was dominating the match versus Forest for a decent spell, as one example.

I see a lot of people saying this, but the team hasn't gelled and is low on confidence - he's definitely shown flashes of being a good defensive midfielder. He was dominating the match versus Forest for a decent spell, as one example.
the only example*

Agree we dropped a few gears that night when he went off with cramp

Also easy to forget his age coupled with coming into the most competitive league in the world. Suggest we cut him a bit of slack. There are far more senior experienced players who are offering equally as little right now.

Has to be as deep as possible for me.
That's why I think moving to a back 4 might suit him. That said, didn't he look a lot faster and more dynamic in Spain? Judging by the highlights anyway.

On those highlights he’s mainly in the defensive half, sometimes in the defensive box. Looks like he’s best deep deep, which would suggest it’s not really working with Norwood coming deep too.

Leaves a big gap midfield and we’re overloaded.

Looked to me as though he was playing the right side of a flat 3 against Fulham, and that is certainly not his best position!

I think he will look decent in the championship. For £10m he wants to be one of the best players in there.

Hopefully this year is about him getting use to England.

Back
Top Bottom