Egan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Trafford

Reaction score
I can't point to individual mistakes that have cost us games but Egan's performances have plummeted since Jack has been out. Yes, he wins his fair share of headers but he doesn't actually dominate in the air, nor does he "lead" or score, all of which he should be doing with ease at this level. And as for his passing, he just seems to want to go sideways or backwards all the time, rather than spraying those long diagonal balls that he can do so well when he's up for it.

I can't point to individual mistakes that have cost us games but Egan's performances have plummeted since Jack has been out. Yes, he wins his fair share of headers but he doesn't actually dominate in the air, nor does he "lead" or score, all of which he should be doing with ease at this level. And as for his passing, he just seems to want to go sideways or backwards all the time, rather than spraying those long diagonal balls that he can do so well when he's up for it.
He played plenty of those balls in the second half yesterday. Was also fairly dominant and much more comfortable in the middle of the 3 yesterday.

Could he contribute more in the opposition box? Yes, but we all know the quality of delivery at corners and free kicks is shit.

Point the finger elsewhere.

He's not been a shadow of the player he was but I thought he actually played well yesterday, read the game well and stepped across 2 or 3 times to make telling interceptions. It can't help him having to play with a different central defensive partner every other game.

He's not been a shadow of the player he was but I thought he actually played well yesterday, read the game well and stepped across 2 or 3 times to make telling interceptions. It can't help him having to play with a different central defensive partner every other game.
Yep, I agree with that, give him a few games along side the new guy and things might change for the best.
Bash worries me though, whether it's the system but he seems out of sorts.

Let’s be fair.

We could cope with conceding a few goals if we were actually capable of scoring a couple ourselves

our attack is rancid - we must be the least threatening side in England

Egan's diags to baldock were very good yesterday, also baldocks timing of his runs were on the whole very good. Problem is baldock then brings it down then shits himself and goes backwards.

Don't get me wrong, I like Egan, I just think he's struggling without Jack. All 4 West Brom goals plus both of yesterday's went through the centre, with the CB's missing in action. I'd be targeting the centre of the defence if I was the opposition.

1629632610767.jpeg

He played plenty of those balls in the second half yesterday. Was also fairly dominant and much more comfortable in the middle of the 3 yesterday.

Could he contribute more in the opposition box? Yes, but we all know the quality of delivery at corners and free kicks is shit.

I think getting Davies onboard has helped potential sort the defence. If SJ plans to keep a 3 though.

Feel like every goal we’ve conceded for the last 12 months egan has been stood there pointing at where he should have been

We're lucky his form has cooled down, as he would have been off otherwise, and he's still our best defender regardless.

I think getting Davies onboard has helped potential sort the defence. If SJ plans to keep a 3 though.
We are more comfortable with it, obviously. But there needs to be a change in midfield if we keep it.

While our defense is far from flawless, it's not the area we should be concerned about for now. With a normal midfield-offense, this defense (except GK) is good enough for a contender.

Played a sumptuous ball over the top to put Sharp through on goal down the middle and loads of long diagonals to get Baldock/Berge/Basham free down the right. The back threes passing and interplay around our own box was so good that Huddersfield changed tactics, abandoning their high press altogether.
There was clear structural problems in our set up yesterday that carried on from last season: we had no overloads down our left that made us very right side orientated neutralising Fleck and Norrington Davies as attacking forces. The solution to this is integrating Davies in the overloads and/or introducing a number ten. If we do the latter I think we need to bring in an energetic DM as our midfield lacks legs and can be countered on even with the flat three.
Another issue is a lack of players stretching the game. None of the midfielders make third man runs beyond the backline. Brewster and Mcburnie also both come towards the ball. Brewster has to be more selfish and make runs in behind and in the channels in order to turn the backline.
Another obvious issue is our fitness issue due to our shit pre season. Berge was cooked after an hour along with a few others.

Back
Top Bottom