Don't underestimate Brentford

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
The most underrated team in the Championship, I think they are a good outside bet for the playoffs this season. A good manager and a steady set up, it will be a tough match next week. I've heard a few comments this week where people have been dismissive, with a 'it's only little Brentford' attitude. It will be a tough game, but I can't wait for it!

The most underrated team in the Championship, I think they are a good outside bet for the playoffs this season. A good manager and a steady set up, it will be a tough match next week. I've heard a few comments this week where people have been dismissive, with a 'it's only little Brentford' attitude. It will be a tough game, but I can't wait for it!

Absolutely. Imagine the meltdown if we happen to lose. People seem to have forgotten where we have come from and that this is a step up. Perhaps the start of last season can serve as a reminder?

Brentford are a fully established top 10 Championship team with plenty of backing and a squad on paper much better than ours.

Don't think anyone is under estimating them. We need to be at our best every week and even then it may not be enough for 3 points.

They worry me a bit. I think back to how we didn't cope with Ricky Holmes very well and then consider that they have Jota and I get nervous

Absolutely. Imagine the meltdown if we happen to lose. People seem to have forgotten where we have come from and that this is a step up. Perhaps the start of last season can serve as a reminder?

There are plenty dusting down and ready to wheel out the phrase "taken us as far as he can" after a couple of defeats on the bounce.

It would have been nice if someone had taken Jota off them by now but chances are he will still be there next Saturday.

Thankfully there is no way Wilder will be taking them lightly. I'm just glad we are at home first game to give us an advantage, picking up a win in our first game would be so sweet and would settle any nerves but it won't be too disastrous if we don't as Brentford are a decent side.

Nobody will be, nor any other game this season.
That's not the way we roll.

Cracking little ground Brentford too - away fans close enough to the home fans for a healthy bit of sledging

Cracking little ground Brentford too - away fans close enough to the home fans for a healthy bit of sledging
A pity that they will be moving to a new ground soon. The 'Wendyhouse' is a great away end.

Will be a tough game.

Brentford have been fairly well backed and used that backing to pick up a lot of highly rated young players. Jack O'Connell couldn't get in that side. hopefully we are starting to follow that approach with the likes of lundstram signing and the interest in blackburns CB.

Main concern is that we have picked up injuries in key positions atm.

- Moore will be out for a while

- Duffy came off leaving us light in AM (although carruthers has played there)

- Hanson and ched have barely featured at all. And there are still concerns about laverys ability to play a sustained run of games.

Suspect at some point we will end up with brooks/Thomas supporting a single striker.

The new CB is also key as we are one injury away from being at the bare bones there too.

Brentford finished 10th last season. I know very little else about them - apart from their nicknames is "The Bees", they play at Griffin Park, the ground is in West London and I nearly got in without paying - back in the 1980's. Oh, I did hear their star player is called Jota - but I don't care one iota.

As to how good they will be this season, I really don't give a flying foreskin about it. Couldn't care less. South Essex Blade's got the right idea - he says in his post that they could be surprise contenders or stragglers. Can I add that they might be somewhere near the middle too? Then we've got all bases covered. The facts are, we've not a bloody clue - and we won't have a clue until about 12 games in, not about them, and not about us either. Just remember that those of you out there who are just waiting to find fault. Leave off the managers and players backs until we've seen them play a dozen games will yer?

As to this match - well...who can possibly call it? There's too many unknowns. All I know is that this Sheffield United side are capable of giving most teams a difficult time. We saw that throughout last season and we've also seen it in this pre season. Especially in the game v Stoke, where both sides obviously wanted to win and United more than held their own. It's obvious we are going to stick with the "total football" approach that Wilder and Knill have instilled and I think that will cause Brentford and other teams a few problems.

On the other side of the coin - we will have a fairly new and unfamiliar defence with a new goalkeeper behind them. That takes time to gel and I can see this being one of them games where we play some good stuff, score a couple of goals, but make basic errors that allow them back in - so I'm going for a 2-2 draw and lots of curses on here towards certain players for cocking it up.

Love their new badge. Wonder where the inspiration for that came from?

BFC_SocialGraphicssm.jpg

I've got a lot of admiration for Brentford , they are a very useful outfit who've acquitted themselves well at championship level since they got promoted inc a top 6 finish in their first season at this level . No there not one of the so called big boys or household names but are a good attacking sde & well run club with some good young players .Im expecting a good open game with goals like their last visit and if I'm honest I can see it going either way .
They'll be very opposition & a good barometer of how far we've come or where we need to be . Exciting stuff tee minus 7 days ...

Brentford finished 10th last season. I know very little else about them - apart from their nicknames is "The Bees", they play at Griffin Park, the ground is in West London and I nearly got in without paying - back in the 1980's. Oh, I did hear their star player is called Jota - but I don't care one iota.

As to how good they will be this season, I really don't give a flying foreskin about it. Couldn't care less. South Essex Blade's got the right idea - he says in his post that they could be surprise contenders or stragglers. Can I add that they might be somewhere near the middle too? Then we've got all bases covered. The facts are, we've not a bloody clue - and we won't have a clue until about 12 games in, not about them, and not about us either. Just remember that those of you out there who are just waiting to find fault. Leave off the managers and players backs until we've seen them play a dozen games will yer?

As to this match - well...who can possibly call it? There's too many unknowns. All I know is that this Sheffield United side are capable of giving most teams a difficult time. We saw that throughout last season and we've also seen it in this pre season. Especially in the game v Stoke, where both sides obviously wanted to win and United more than held their own. It's obvious we are going to stick with the "total football" approach that Wilder and Knill have instilled and I think that will cause Brentford and other teams a few problems.

On the other side of the coin - we will have a fairly new and unfamiliar defence with a new goalkeeper behind them. That takes time to gel and I can see this being one of them games where we play some good stuff, score a couple of goals, but make basic errors that allow them back in - so I'm going for a 2-2 draw and lots of curses on here towards certain players for cocking it up.
This is no place for that level of common sense talk young man.

It's a cliche, but the fact is, there are no easy games. I just think that if we play well, then we stand a decent chance of winning. If we don't then we'll struggle. It's probably as simple as that.

From their point of view, you would imagine they'll be looking to test our new keeper as soon as possible so hopefully he'll settle down quickly.

I'm just really looking forward to it!

We spent the last few years in League One on merit and now we're in the Championship on merit. Nothing changes: respect every opposition, fear none of them. I'm incredibly excited.

I think we'll edge it by a single goal but it's a great test for the season - as others have said, Brentford have built solidly year after year and are a really well-run club and another who seem to continuously replace key players who they lose. Their scouting network is excellent and they have recruited a good mix of young dropouts from Premiership academies along with foreign imports. They're very tough to beat at their ground but I think at Bramall Lane we'll nick it.

P.S. They also beat Europa League semi finalists Celta Vigo today.

I have seen Dean Smith as "bogey" manager in he past. (Just a feeling - no stats). But then he has never been against Wilder before. And as I looked up his stats (34.02% win ratio as a manager) I noticed he played for Barnsley South and indeed was with them as they struggled in 2003/4. I goal in 62 games.

Back
Top Bottom