Don’t bother with promotion

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We will always be cannon fodder in the PL without a billionaire owner. Yes, there will be the odd freak season where we compete (like what Luton are doing) but these seasons will be the exception.

It does feel a bit pointless at the moment- hence the apathy in the fan base.

Finishing 9th in the PL the other season hasn’t really helped from a perspective of setting the fans expectations.

That was an absolute perfect storm of a season and I don’t think it will be repeated in my lifetime, probably not my kids lifetimes either.

The only way that changes is with a billionaire who throws money at it but then we’ll get done for FFP!

I couldn’t give a fuck about seeing other team’s players. I see them all the time on the TV and seeing them in the flesh does nothing for me.
Fair enough. I want to watch my team play against the best (and hopefully compete).

which sort of misses the point really because we haven't been stuffed by City in recent times. It's being stuffed by Burnley and Bournemouth etc. that's the problem. But for my season ticket money I'd rather be watching a 2-2 draw at home with say West Ham with Bowen playing for them than the same with Millwall wondering when Jake Cooper is going to score.

How about setting the season up for success with a decent pre-season friendly schedule against decent teams. The pre-season we had against the likes of Chesterfield and the Dog&Duck etc. told us what we as fans could expect in the premier league

How about setting the season up for success with a decent pre-season friendly schedule against decent teams. The pre-season we had against the likes of Chesterfield and the Dog&Duck etc. told us what we as fans could expect in the premier league
When we played good sides like girona and stuttgart in pre season we got brushed aside easily. Most fans knew what to expect of this season.

I think once were relegated and we've had a clearout I think it'll take at least 2 seasons to rebuild a good squad before we'll be able to have ago at promotion from the Championship and on top of tgat also hoping weve been sold

I agree.

Leeds season ticket holder that lives opposite me said back in September "what I'd really like is to win the Championship and then turn down promotion so that we could defend our title the following year,"

I know exactly where he's coming from. Everything except the players is better in the Championship.
Totally agree - we can only hope the inevitable Euro Super League happens soon, the silly money follows it and the PL becomes fairer as a result. We can then get our game back.

which sort of misses the point really because we haven't been stuffed by City in recent times. It's being stuffed by Burnley and Bournemouth etc. that's the problem. But for my season ticket money I'd rather be watching a 2-2 draw at home with say West Ham with Bowen playing for them than the same with Millwall wondering when Jake Cooper is going to score.
We haven't been stuffed by Man City because we play in a way that bores the shit out of everyone in the ground, by putting everybody behind the ball and running round like headless chickens all game trying to close Man city down. Its not a criticism of the manager of the team. Its just what you have to do when you play them, but lets be honest its dull as dishwater isn't it, you go into the game hoping to only lose by 3. Does anyone enjoy this? as a sporting spectacle I would rather watch us play Millwall, where two teams go at each other, we have possession of the football for more than 14%, and we have shots at their goal. You are right with what you said about the West Ham game though, that was one of the most enjoyable games for me this season. Maybe if the likes of Man City, Arse, and Liverpool pissed off to their Special league the Premier league would be better and fun for us, as with the right recruitment and tactics and a proper defence I think we could compete with the likes of West Ham.

I very much agree with your last point!

For the City home game I was in a beach bar in Corfu with my daughter, the only blades amongst a load of largely plastic mancs. We held them off for ages, scored an equaliser and lost in the dying seconds. The sun and the beer definitely helped but I thought it was great. Of course we weren't going to go at them like a steam train. So we lost...no bother, I enjoyed my team executing a plan pretty well against the best in the world. Compare with many a home win last season where we let teams have a go at our defence for a bit, fail and then eventually Iliman or McAtee would do their thing. 80 mins of meh and 10 mins of action. The second half against Burnley being an honourable exception.

I always thought the best we could hope for was to be a yoyo club. Maybe that's the case but without new meaningful ownership it doesn't feel like i expected it to tbh.

It's better than being worse obviously but it does feel like it saps some of the enjoyment out of being one of the top 20-25 teams in the country.
Being a yo-yo is a vast improvement in my 50 years watching the Blades. I'll take it!

I think the infrastructure argument has always been a powerful one. If we'd have gone up and built a new stand and named it the PA/Wilder/PH stand I'd have been happy with that. That's an amazing legacy that can help us be more competitive the next time we go up. Far more lasting than a season or two in the Prem. The same if they'd have sorted the academy as a result of promotion. With the reaction on here to the Desso pitch I doubt it'd have been a popular sentiment.

Luton are doing well, but they haven’t stayed up yet, and they’re miles behind where we were when we had our first season back in the premier league.

I think there is something about the momentum of a whole club that’s been years out of the top league and then gets back in it. I think if we hadn’t been in the premier league for those two seasons, and this was our first time back for 15 years, and we had a squad coming up who’d all never been in the premier league, the whole feeing around this year would be different.
If Barcley picks up his usual injury, Luton will struggle

Back
Top Bottom