Don’t bother with promotion

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We've scored 56 in the last 80 PL games. Not won a game by more than a goal in front of fans since 14th December 2019 which is where I started that 80 game period.

We score a goal every 134 minutes but concede one every 55. We've failed to score in 36 of the 80 games.

This is miserable

How many blades last season didn’t see this coming ? I said to my mate we would be the whipping boys this time around . It is what it is . The premier league is on the road to hell in a hand cart and there’s fuck all we can do about it . Just look at the state of this league . Every club except Luton is shitting its self about FFP . Florist will be bankrupt ( laughing whilst trying) if down as many of their players don’t have relegation clauses . We just need to ensure we still have a club in 20 years . If it’s the championship or league one so be it . Just stay solvent so I can watch a game

Or do what Luton are doing with a good, young manager and an athletic, hungry team with a couple of experienced heads?

Like Burnley? I get your point but it’s not hard to see examples of teams trying the hard way and getting nowhere.

Burnley have a young manager and a young ish squad with some experience in there, and they’re also stinking up the league (one of their wins being against us for example).

I like the Championship, I know I'm meant to pretend that the Premier League is the B all and end all of everything in the world, the pundits and media would have me sectioned for saying such a blasphemous thing. But to me the Premier League is wank. Its a year wasted for me watching unenjoyable crap where we just cant compete, we have little possession and little goalmouth action, add to that fewer games, VAR, Man City, hardly any games at 3pm Saturday, twats like Garth Crooks who pipe up about how shit we are, the plastic internet fans on tik tok, youtube and twatter. Am I being a mardy bastard because we lose every week? yes I probably am, but would it be any better if we were like Crystal Palace, Everton, Forest and many others who just turn up every season trying to not get relegated and make the numbers up. At least we have the enjoyment of promotions every once in a while. I look forward to seeing how we do next season in the Championship with the likes of Brooks, Arblaster, Osula and possibly a couple more youngsters coming through.
This this this this thisthisthis

I like the Championship, I know I'm meant to pretend that the Premier League is the B all and end all of everything in the world, the pundits and media would have me sectioned for saying such a blasphemous thing. But to me the Premier League is wank. Its a year wasted for me watching unenjoyable crap where we just cant compete, we have little possession and little goalmouth action, add to that fewer games, VAR, Man City, hardly any games at 3pm Saturday, twats like Garth Crooks who pipe up about how shit we are, the plastic internet fans on tik tok, youtube and twatter. Am I being a mardy bastard because we lose every week? yes I probably am, but would it be any better if we were like Crystal Palace, Everton, Forest and many others who just turn up every season trying to not get relegated and make the numbers up. At least we have the enjoyment of promotions every once in a while. I look forward to seeing how we do next season in the Championship with the likes of Brooks, Arblaster, Osula and possibly a couple more youngsters coming through.
I agree.

Leeds season ticket holder that lives opposite me said back in September "what I'd really like is to win the Championship and then turn down promotion so that we could defend our title the following year,"

I know exactly where he's coming from. Everything except the players is better in the Championship.

I say it at the start of every prem season.

Don't overspend go up and come down with our pockets full... we can't compete anyway...

The reality though is quite different , losing and getting hammered with players who just want to go home all 90 mins is destroying us..
We also don't come down with our pockets full. What's most concerning about this is we are 5 years into PL payments with another 2 to come and we have nothing much to show for it. The training ground is still shit, the academy infrastructure is still shit, the hotel is still closed, most of the players won't be ours come the summer and we will be back in the championship. The debt should be lower and we own all the assets so that's 2 positives.

On the whole thst strikes me as mismanagement whichever way you look at it. And the bloke who has overseen all of it is asking a price that is well above what anyone will pay so we are stuck in this purgatory of having an owner who can't/won't invest.

….or at least a promotion charge next season until we’ve got a proper owner with ambition and money. Terrible on and off the pitch again.
Do you think we are more likely to attract a new owner if we are not on a promotion charge?

I agree.

Leeds season ticket holder that lives opposite me said back in September "what I'd really like is to win the Championship and then turn down promotion so that we could defend our title the following year,"

I know exactly where he's coming from. Everything except the players is better in the Championship.
It would be great take the "prize money" and defend your title. It would be brilliant to stick two fingers up to the Prem cartel aswell. Thanks but no thanks, your league is not all its cracked up to be, we will stay where we are and play in a competitive league, with no bullshit VAR to boot.

It would be great take the "prize money" and defend your title. It would be brilliant to stick two fingers up to the Prem cartel aswell. Thanks but no thanks, your league is not all its cracked up to be, we will stay where we are and play in a competitive league, with no bullshit VAR to boot.
I wouldn't even be bothered about the money.

It's about time they franchised the Premier League and let the rest of us get on with playing sport.

I have to say without a major turnaround in personnel I don’t think we’ll be anywhere near getting promoted .. mid table at best with current crop

I've talked about this on another thread but I think the opposite of what you say is true. The current crop (including the loan players) would absolutely walk the Championship. It's the inevitable major turnaround in personnel that will probably make it difficult.

I know there's a lot of emotion after a defeat but to suggest that a squad with Bogle, Baldock, Norrington-Davies, Egan, Ahmedhodzic, Trusty, Hamer, Souza, McAtee, Brereton-Diaz, McBurnie, Archer etc would be mid-table in the Championship is daft. Next season's squad, with a lot of those names crossed out, might end up being mid-table but this one definitely wouldn't.

Playing in the Premier League should be the pinnacle for a club like ours but its fucking dogger watching this shite every week.

It’s obviously not a one off given this is the second time in a few years we’ve stunk the league out with our uncompetitiveness. I honestly don’t know what the solution is…well I do, it involves millions and millions and millions of pounds and risking the financial future of the club and/or FA sanctions.

Be interesting to see the reaction of the fans if we are promoted again next year. Obviously, momentum and feeling may have shifted but if the murmurings start about having no money to spend again then its going to be pretty underwhelming.
It was pretty underwhelming last season tbh . Many predicted all this .

There really does seem to be a lot of apathy and indifferent acceptance to what’s happening on one hand , and an angry , frustrated angst on the other - between our supporters.

Whilst we should be grateful that we are in the top league ,and in comparison to the past , we are in a healthy financial situation (many peoples mindset ) we were not prepared for the challenges and did nothing to prepare us for the challenges we faced , to even give ourselves a chance of surviving and therefore we are passively giving up our opportunity to stay in this division (many other peoples mindset).

It really is a problem

Many offer the example of Luton , a seemingly well run club with an identity and purpose - as a blueprint- yet we are light years away from even them , let alone Brighton / Brentford (other examples of blueprints) .

We have no purpose - and even if we have we are carrying it out woefully. This is down to the leader - who two and a half years ago wanted absolutely nothing to do with us , said so publicly, and offered a 5 year contract to Hecky and said that even the manager wouldn’t be judged on results .

In the time since the owner has almost completely taken his eyes off the ball - has tried to offload us to any old rouge , presided over a transfer embargo , not paid suppliers , and only got survived thanks to the money from one of these rouges . This all following 2 years in the Prem plus 2 para payments .

The owner couldn’t believe his luck when Hecky got us up to save his and our skins and started to come out of the shadows when promotion sealing games and Wembley semi finals were on offer .

But …. The damage had already been done whilst he had his downtime . No leadership , no strategy, players out of contract , no infrastructure to recruit sensibly , very little improvement in infrastructure. He blindly started the process of self harming .

Therefore we have what we have today . Many are grateful because anything is better than some of the dark days we have had , and they diff their cap , and often insult others who challenge what’s happening . Many are angry and frustrated that we are in course to break so many unwanted prem records and ignore an opportunity to change the profile of our club .

So , who’s to blame ?

The owner - he bailed out at a crucial time and didn’t create critical conditions ti give us any chance - a mismanaged opportunity irrelevant of how much money he had or hasn’t .

If we were doing what Luton are doing this season we’d be loving the Premier League. Just like we did under that exceptional season under CW.

Truth is, being abysmal in any league is shit.

I've been thinking this for some time. It would be very interesting if a club had the bottle to do it! Unless you have a zillionaire owner, the end result in 2 or 3 years, financially , may be better than going up, without all the grief!

This thread is manna from heaven for our porcine rivals.

We sound like a bunch of whinging tossers!

I’d love us to have more of a go, but we may as well be a decent Championship and shit PL club forever if it keeps us from the brink of financial ruin.

If we have more than 2 seasons in the Championship we’ll see a lot worse than this season as cloth will have to be cut accordingly, at that point the moaning will be off the scale.

I've talked about this on another thread but I think the opposite of what you say is true. The current crop (including the loan players) would absolutely walk the Championship. It's the inevitable major turnaround in personnel that will probably make it difficult.

I know there's a lot of emotion after a defeat but to suggest that a squad with Bogle, Baldock, Norrington-Davies, Egan, Ahmedhodzic, Trusty, Hamer, Souza, McAtee, Brereton-Diaz, McBurnie, Archer etc would be mid-table in the Championship is daft. Next season's squad, with a lot of those names crossed out, might end up being mid-table but this one definitely wouldn't.
I take your point on some of those CB .. I supposemMy concern is that the side that got us over the line last season had a very good midfield with likes of McAtee , Berge & Doyle all very cable players in possession offensively & a magician in the form of Ndiaye who won us a hell of a lot of points .
Of those only McAtee remains & will be gone at the end of the season . Not sure what the Archer deal entails whether he’s here or not or whether they’ll keep McBurnie tbh . But the player we definitely haven’t replaced is Ndiaye & he’s was the ace in the pack .
I suppose we’ll have to see who they offload / bring in ⚔️

I agree.

This is why I'm not particularly fussed about whether they create a European super league. Let the state and multibillionaire owned clubs leave and spend whatever they want, then introduce a reasonable salary cap to create a level playing field for the Premier League (and the other European leagues) and football might actually start to be enjoyable again

I take your point on some of those CB .. I supposemMy concern is that the side that got us over the line last season had a very good midfield with likes of McAtee , Berge & Doyle all very cable players in possession offensively & a magician in the form of Ndiaye who won us a hell of a lot of points .
Of those only McAtee remains & will be gone at the end of the season . Not sure what the Archer deal entails whether he’s here or not or whether they’ll keep McBurnie tbh . But the player we definitely haven’t replaced is Ndiaye & he’s was the ace in the pack .
I suppose we’ll have to see who they offload / bring in ⚔️

Agreed, I'm not all that confident for next season at the moment.

Obviously, it doesn't mean anything but in a fantasy world where we had the current squad, in the current Championship, I would be shocked if we weren't in the top 2.

We also don't come down with our pockets full. What's most concerning about this is we are 5 years into PL payments with another 2 to come and we have nothing much to show for it. The training ground is still shit, the academy infrastructure is still shit, the hotel is still closed, most of the players won't be ours come the summer and we will be back in the championship. The debt should be lower and we own all the assets so that's 2 positives.

On the whole thst strikes me as mismanagement whichever way you look at it. And the bloke who has overseen all of it is asking a price that is well above what anyone will pay so we are stuck in this purgatory of having an owner who can't/won't invest.
Yeh but there’s United world 😂😂😂

I'm more worried that we may not finish top six this season and not qualify for the breakaway Euro Super-duper League.

This thread is manna from heaven for our porcine rivals.

We sound like a bunch of whinging tossers!

I’d love us to have more of a go, but we may as well be a decent Championship and shit PL club forever if it keeps us from the brink of financial ruin.

If we have more than 2 seasons in the Championship we’ll see a lot worse than this season as cloth will have to be cut accordingly, at that point the moaning will be off the scale.
And that my friend is exactly how Kevin McCabe thought happy to finish around 8th in the Championship with the odd flirt with the play off's. Fuck that might as well shut the club down as settle for 2nd best, no point in sport at all if you don't do everything you can to be the best and win.

And that my friend is exactly how Kevin McCabe thought happy to finish around 8th in the Championship with the odd flirt with the play off's. Fuck that might as well shut the club down as settle for 2nd best, no point in sport at all if you don't do everything you can to be the best and win.
I’m not saying I’m happy to finish 8th, I think we need to aim to be a yo-yo club.

You said we werent going to sign any players in this window. Wrong!

You say we wont try and get promotion next season. Wrong again!
Take off your rose tinted glasses of Silent our club is rotten to the core owner, manager, players all a shower of shit

Back
Top Bottom