Don’t bother with promotion

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So what then? Play to lose games so we don't go up.
Fucking incredible!
Playing in the Premier League should be the pinnacle for a club like ours but its fucking dogger watching this shite every week.

It’s obviously not a one off given this is the second time in a few years we’ve stunk the league out with our uncompetitiveness. I honestly don’t know what the solution is…well I do, it involves millions and millions and millions of pounds and risking the financial future of the club and/or FA sanctions.

Be interesting to see the reaction of the fans if we are promoted again next year. Obviously, momentum and feeling may have shifted but if the murmurings start about having no money to spend again then its going to be pretty underwhelming.

Playing in the Premier League should be the pinnacle for a club like ours but its fucking dogger watching this shite every week.

It’s obviously not a one off given this is the second time in a few years we’ve stunk the league out with our uncompetitiveness. I honestly don’t know what the solution is…well I do, it involves millions and millions and millions of pounds and risking the financial future of the club and/or FA sanctions.

Be interesting to see the reaction of the fans if we are promoted again next year. Obviously, momentum and feeling may have shifted but if the murmurings start about having no money to spend again then its going to be pretty underwhelming.

Do what Forest did and sign 50 players.

Mental that thats what its come to.

The points deduction might end up being worth it as well.

Football is just a mess regardless of how good or bad people think we are run.

The fact that Forest needed to sign that many players last season just to survive is in itself totally insane.

Football is just a mess regardless of how good or bad people think we are run.

The fact that Forest needed to sign that many players last season just to survive is in itself totally insane.

I’ve seen many owners over the last 50 years and being logical and factual we probably have the best and most ambitious in that time.

It’s the 1st time I’ve ever known us resist bids unless they”re stupidly high and we sell to ensure we improve.

It’s not just about money, it’s how you spend your limited resources. Our fans demanded we show ambition by buying the hottest property in English football. Our owner showed massive ambition trying to buy Brewster, look how that turned out.

Luton bought free transfer has beens like Troy Townsend and Ross Barkley, our fans would have gone mad buying free transfers but look how that turned out.

Always thinks it’s funny how simplistic and reactionary some of our fanbase is, it doesn’t matter what an owner does. If a team achieves promotion then the owner must be brilliant, the best ever and when a team is relegated that same owner becomes the worse ever.

Or do what Luton are doing with a good, young manager and an athletic, hungry team with a couple of experienced heads?

Like I say that works if the manager who got promoted actually had a pattern of play etc. Hecky's main tactic was giving it to Ndiaye and there was always the risk he could leave in the summer. Hecky never seemed to seriously factor in the fact he would go.

We have signed experienced PL players before and few have worked out. We just end up becoming their last pay day which is what many already think about Tom Davies.

Hecky's main request was to keep the squad together. Which is fine if City want to sell you Doyle at a normal rate not at a hugely inflated price and Ndiaye isn't given the ultimatum by OM.

Or do what Luton are doing with a good, young manager and an athletic, hungry team with a couple of experienced heads?

You talk like that’s the secret formula.

Are you seriously saying in future we need a young manager with no experience and fill the team with basic skill lower leagues players who are athletic.

Then if we return to the PL the secret formals is to buy free transfers spending the least money in the division.

The Luton formula hardly ever works and if we followed their lead, there would be uproar from our fans for lacking any ambition.

Agree with Bladesman, the problem is down to Heckys over reliance on individual play, especially regards N’Nfiaye, so there was never any foundations laid regards being “a team”.

Our fan base should know what a well drilled team can achieve. Wilders team of lower league players challenged for a Euro spot and that team understanding is what Luton have.

It’s the 1st time I’ve ever known us resist bids unless they”re stupidly high and we sell to ensure we improve.
Iliman Ndiaye for £15m. Sander Berge for £12m. Neither bid was stupidly high. We did not sell to improve in either case.

It’s not just about money, it’s how you spend your limited resources. Our fans demanded we show ambition by buying the hottest property in English football. Our owner showed massive ambition trying to buy Brewster, look how that turned out.
I think most fans demanded we show ambition by not selling our best players after getting promoted. Not a big ask, but the fool at the top still showed his loser, gutless, ambitionless mentality when he took the money for them two and ran.
Always thinks it’s funny how simplistic and reactionary some of our fanbase is, it doesn’t matter what an owner does. If a team achieves promotion then the owner must be brilliant, the best ever and when a team is relegated that same owner becomes the worse ever.
Well, I agree with that. Our success on the pitch has had absolutely nothing to do with the owner. We got promoted despite his ownership, not because of it. It was utter chaos behind the scenes and promotion papered over the cracks of the total ownership shitshow.

Luton are doing well, but they haven’t stayed up yet, and they’re miles behind where we were when we had our first season back in the premier league.

I think there is something about the momentum of a whole club that’s been years out of the top league and then gets back in it. I think if we hadn’t been in the premier league for those two seasons, and this was our first time back for 15 years, and we had a squad coming up who’d all never been in the premier league, the whole feeing around this year would be different.

I say it at the start of every prem season.

Don't overspend go up and come down with our pockets full... we can't compete anyway...

The reality though is quite different , losing and getting hammered with players who just want to go home all 90 mins is destroying us..

I like the Championship, I know I'm meant to pretend that the Premier League is the B all and end all of everything in the world, the pundits and media would have me sectioned for saying such a blasphemous thing. But to me the Premier League is wank. Its a year wasted for me watching unenjoyable crap where we just cant compete, we have little possession and little goalmouth action, add to that fewer games, VAR, Man City, hardly any games at 3pm Saturday, twats like Garth Crooks who pipe up about how shit we are, the plastic internet fans on tik tok, youtube and twatter. Am I being a mardy bastard because we lose every week? yes I probably am, but would it be any better if we were like Crystal Palace, Everton, Forest and many others who just turn up every season trying to not get relegated and make the numbers up. At least we have the enjoyment of promotions every once in a while. I look forward to seeing how we do next season in the Championship with the likes of Brooks, Arblaster, Osula and possibly a couple more youngsters coming through.

No - you like winning. The premier league is miles better, with world class players visiting BDTBL every other week.

I like the Championship, I know I'm meant to pretend that the Premier League is the B all and end all of everything in the world, the pundits and media would have me sectioned for saying such a blasphemous thing. But to me the Premier League is wank. Its a year wasted for me watching unenjoyable crap where we just cant compete, we have little possession and little goalmouth action, add to that fewer games, VAR, Man City, hardly any games at 3pm Saturday, twats like Garth Crooks who pipe up about how shit we are, the plastic internet fans on tik tok, youtube and twatter. Am I being a mardy bastard because we lose every week? yes I probably am, but would it be any better if we were like Crystal Palace, Everton, Forest and many others who just turn up every season trying to not get relegated and make the numbers up. At least we have the enjoyment of promotions every once in a while. I look forward to seeing how we do next season in the Championship with the likes of Brooks, Arblaster, Osula and possibly a couple more youngsters coming through.
Any leauge where you compete and win a few is preferable to this, to always look wank compared to the opposition is not fun. You don't always have to win to be satisfied, United went to Forest a few seasons ago we lost 2-1 but Coutts , Duffy and Fleck truth be known destroyed them that day and Forest clung on for a win, it was glorious to view.

Last night scoreline says it was tight - but my God they looked in a different stratosphere to us, miserable and painful in equal doses to watch.

Fuming. Good players gone and our best players aren't actually our players. We'd have struggled in Championship with this squad.

The £100m that we're supposed to have received going up looks like it's vanished. Players like Hamer (who does OK some of the time) have made a big step up, were they thinking all budget buys would be gems?? Hecky wasn't backed and this January window where we had a chance to get in some much needed quality has resulted in what? BBD looks the level we need and has impressed but that's it, the most important month of the season and we get a keeper who has spent more time picking the ball out of the net than making saves, admittedly he's sat behind a weak defence that doesn't get enough protection from the midfield but ffs

And he still wants £180m?? That figure needs a decimal point, either invest or sell at a proper price. We're a laughing stock and it hurts

No - you like winning. The premier league is miles better, with world class players visiting BDTBL every other week.
Yes I like United to win - who doesn't. I'm less pissed off if we lose but play well, its a good game and we have the ball and create chances and excitement. For me I couldnt give a shit about world class players visiting Bramall Lane, when watching other games as a Neutral then its great seeing the best world class players, but when Man city play us to be honest I'm praying that the whole team is out with the shits or flu. I really don't want to see Erling Harland give a masterclass on finishing and score 5 against us I'd be quite happy if they had to bring Shaun Goater out of retirement against us.

Apparently we go bust if we dont get promoted every other season though?

This is the salient point. Even with two promotions, a play off finish and three Premier League seasons in the past six years, our club has been barely able to keep its head above the water.

What happens if we don't get promoted next season, or the season after that? We'll be f*cked. That doesn't reflect a well run club.

We will feel different I hope with some optimism this summer. We need to build a squad with players capable of stepping up like we did first time up under Wilder.
Or even more so the L1 to champ jump.

This summer though is shaping up to be another messy one. Lots out of contract, some debatable whether to renew and some we won't lose sleep over going.
Big turnover in players usually doesn't bode well, usually if successful means we won't see the best till later in the season.

But then our bigger assets are now Hamer, Archer, Anel, Brooks heck even Souza given the price we've paid.

Yet there is every chance most of those depart in the summer. In fact in Archers case it's a given isn't it if we are relegated? And we won't have McAtee.

I can excuse the ownership for not having the funds. What I find in-excusable is the lack of planning for scenarios. We were promoted in April yet we were the slowest to shape up our signings in the PL and the promoted squads.
I appreciate scouting networks cost money but we applaud Brentfords and the like and don't do anything to bridge the gap it seems.

I think the biggest issue right now is the owner.
But we have an owner who really wants to sell so is largely just ticking us over. Yet in spite of this we needed promotion for finances and we will likely need promotion again to stay afloat within 2 seasons next time.

This is the salient point. Even with two promotions, a play off finish and three Premier League seasons in the past six years, our club has been barely able to keep its head above the water.

What happens if we don't get promoted next season, or the season after that? We'll be f*cked. That doesn't reflect a well run club.
A club so we'll run we take out Macquarie loans every 8 weeks or something.

I always thought the best we could hope for was to be a yoyo club. Maybe that's the case but without new meaningful ownership it doesn't feel like i expected it to tbh.

It's better than being worse obviously but it does feel like it saps some of the enjoyment out of being one of the top 20-25 teams in the country.

Back
Top Bottom