Do we really need a new striker?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GreasyChipBeattie

Reaction score
Maybe Norwood and/or Couttsy coming back will provide the chances that were put away by Billy and Leon in the promo season and up to 'that night' in Burton?
They have both proved they can finish (Billy being the better of the two imo)
Yes, another different type/'better' striker would give us a different option, but another finisher? Maybe not.

Based on all factors, the 3 we have, as a collective, are short of what is required at this level.

On top of which there are injuries and suspensions to deal with along the way.

Early days but Woodburn appears to be well along the way to picking up the James Wilson “Meh” award !!

I think we need 2 more.

Scott Hogan would be ideal.

UTB

Yes, we don’t score enough from the chances we create
A top quality striker is essential if we want to be top 8

Given that strikers were the priority at the start of the summer there's no way we should be in this position now.

We could do with 2 but if we're to sign Johnson that's not going to happen, because we only have 2 loan spaces left after Prince's apparent failure to push through the Evans/Norwood deals on a permanent basis before the deadline.

But not to worry, Johnson can fill in up front.

So if we make the two signings we should have 4 strikers plus 2 who can fill in or play just behind in Woodburn and Johnson. So we can pretend we have 6. If Lavery stays, 7.

If they can guarantee us 10-20 goals then yes, other than that I wouldn’t bother.

‘This thread has got’...oh, I’ve done that one. :oops:

We can't rely on McG to stay fit. There is 10 years of evidence that he can't.

Leon is 33. He shouldn't be counted on for more than 30 starts either (forgetting the fact that he's not been very good for a while)

Billy is in great shape but there will be games this year, especially away when he just won't have the physical attributes for how we'll need to play

Lavery did nothing in League 1

Ideally we need a number 1 (or at least 1A depending on how you see Leon/Billy) striker and a version of Lavery who can actually contribute

Haven’t we gone from being after two strikers pre-season to not needing any?
Funny ol’ world eh....

Wilder has always played with two strikers. For today we are ok for strikers as we have Clarke, Sharp and McGoldrick in the squad. From tomorrow until Friday we do need to sign at least one more striker.

Yes we really do. Despite being a big advocate for Billy and Leon, we a) need other options and b) need cover for injuries.

Personally I still think we need two. I’d be looking for someone like Hogan (but fit and ready to go) and a big man (like Kieffee Moore but maybe better).

However, it’s easier said than done, as we can see.

If they can guarantee us 10-20 goals then yes, other than that I wouldn’t bother.
I agree but there are no guarantees, I'm hoping for a blind side loan on this. I'm really not at all thrilled with the names mentioned so far although I concede that Hogan should score if we play in a way that will facilitate it. Having said that for the money we'd be expected to cough up just to loan him I'd want much, much more than a one trick pony. I'm a bit confused on our policy on signing a striker this year and so far it's looking like a disaster waiting to happen and if it does I'm hoping Lavery will at least be given a chance, rather than persisting with 'no one'.

Wilder has always played with two strikers. For today we are ok for strikers as we have Clarke, Sharp and McGoldrick in the squad. From tomorrow until Friday we do need to sign at least one more striker.
I thought Northampton played 4231 in their promotion campaign for the most part.

But either way we need at least 1 more to give us the continuous option of 2 up front

I thought Northampton played 4231 in their promotion campaign for the most part.

But either way we need at least 1 more to give us the continuous option of 2 up front
Didnt know that. I meant when our Chris was with us.

We do,but we are probably better off than we were last season,after all we have only lost Wilson,Evans and Donaldson,who weren't good enough anyway.We managed to score 62 goals and the addition of McGoldrick is an improvement on those three,so one more reliable goalscorer should be enough.However,if we could be better defensively then we wouldn't always need to score at least two to win !!!

Didnt know that. I meant when our Chris was with us.
I'm sure a few Northampton fans came on here and said that when he arrived based on lots of enquiries from blades fans trying to understand what style of play we were in for.

As you say, he's gone with 2 up top throughout the first 2 seasons here which is great in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom