Do we ever play well in the heat?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
Watching that yesterday gave me unpleasant flashbacks to that boiling day at Wembley in 2009 when we wilted under the sun with a dreadful play-off final performance against Burnley which we lost 1-0 with next to no attacking threat.

Looking at Lundstram etc. reminded me of Stephen Quinn and others from that day.

Again perhaps overreading it, and yes I know it's a totally different set of players and management so it's a stretch to make comparisons certainly to just one result.

That said I can't recall us ever really playing well or getting good results in hot temperatures, and they weren't that high in our promotion seasons.

Would love to have pleasant flashbacks to the contrary!

It's a combination of excuses for me:

• We never play well on Sky
  • We never play well after a break

Now we have:

- We never play well in the heat.

How are we on BT? I know we're shit on Amazon Prime.

I did say before the restart that the heat would have an adverse effect on how we play. I was shot down.
I also said we would only get 9 more points by the end of the season : I will join the firing squad !

There's only one sport being played at Old Trafford in June, it's not the football.

I think the ice baths should be getting a hammering at Shirecliffe these next couple of days, and plenty of cups of tea!

This calls for a link to that 80s song....Hot in the city tonight?? Or whatever it's called, sure one of you musical chaps will know the one......hopefully?? 🤔

Roasting when we beat Palace in 1st home game and we never stopped running, closing down and playing a high pressing game.

I'd say we overcooked the players during the lockdown with the intense training they were asked to do at home. They came back fitter perhaps but burnt out, we went far too Marco Bielsa on them during lockdown.

When really our players needed a lighter training plan during lockdown after the season we had so far more recovery and slightly less intense personal training plans.

I'd say we overcooked the players during the lockdown with the intense training they were asked to do at home. They came back fitter perhaps but burnt out, we went far too Marco Bielsa on them during lockdown.

When really our players needed a lighter training plan during lockdown after the season we had so far more recovery and slightly less intense personal training plans.

Thats one possible explanation for why we looked so knackered before we step on the pitch. Its a learning curve for the conditioning team as no one has had to deal with this situation before so can't be too critical of them for that reason. When this mini season finishes plans may need to be revised for the close season as the players bodies will have had to cope with a season and a half.

Thats one possible explanation for why we looked so knackered before we step on the pitch. Its a learning curve for the conditioning team as no one has had to deal with this situation before so can't be too critical of them for that reason. When this mini season finishes plans may need to be revised for the close season as the players bodies will have had to cope with a season and a half.

Also I don't think I am far wrong as I am basing it on what Basham, Billy and Baldock all said when interviewed during lockdown. Baldock was the most open about it and how intense the sessions were during lockdown. He said some sessions have been more intense than the terror Tuesday they usually do in training.

Watching that yesterday gave me unpleasant flashbacks to that boiling day at Wembley in 2009 when we wilted under the sun with a dreadful play-off final performance against Burnley which we lost 1-0 with next to no attacking threat.

Looking at Lundstram etc. reminded me of Stephen Quinn and others from that day.

Again perhaps overreading it, and yes I know it's a totally different set of players and management so it's a stretch to make comparisons certainly to just one result.

That said I can't recall us ever really playing well or getting good results in hot temperatures, and they weren't that high in our promotion seasons.

May 5th 1990 was a scorcher!:cool:

The Burnley game was very similar to our last 3 games, we never turned up, I was sat in the club Wembley seats, as I always try to do, and had a great view of Kenny in the goal, and i don't know if it was the heat, but he honestly looked pissed up!?
Shocking game and result.

I played 18 holes yesterday.

Fucking unbearable at times !!

God knows what chasing shadows must feel like in that kind of environment ;).

UTB

It's a combination of excuses for me:

• We never play well on Sky
  • We never play well after a break

Now we have:

- We never play well in the heat.

How are we on BT? I know we're shit on Amazon Prime.
We beat Arsenal on Sky earlier this season. Wasn't the Leeds game on Sky last season too? Pigs 4-2 away..... shall I go on?

We never play well in June
Only previous league games we've played in June were in 1947.

7th June 1947 beat Arsenal 2-1
14th June 1947 beat Stoke 2-1 (Stoke would have been League Champions if they'd won that game)

So actually we'd had a 100% record until this season!

I don't think any comparison should be made to our 2009 P/O final performance.

Regardless of how hot it was that day (I don't know because I didn't go) but that team we fielded and Blackie as manager were crap and hopeless. We lost that game before it kicked off in my opinion.

Roasting when we beat Palace in 1st home game and we never stopped running, closing down and playing a high pressing game.
That was when we knew that the next league match would be a week later, followed by an international break, then back to weekly matches heading towards the winter months. Totally different this time, our squad isnt big enough to play so many games in 6 weeks playing the running, closing down and playing a high pressing game.

That was when we knew that the next league match would be a week later, followed by an international break, then back to weekly matches heading towards the winter months. Totally different this time, our squad isnt big enough to play so many games in 6 weeks playing the running, closing down and playing a high pressing game.

Not buying that

Yesterday, we reminded me of England going out of a tournament. Floundering in the heat as the opposition passed the ball around them for fun.
That’s exactly what I said to my mate last night. It’s very much like tournament football right now, games every three or four days, stupidly hot, technique triumphing over effort and a huge sense of disappointment.

Only previous league games we've played in June were in 1947.

7th June 1947 beat Arsenal 2-1
14th June 1947 beat Stoke 2-1 (Stoke would have been League Champions if they'd won that game)

So actually we'd had a 100% record until this season!
Of course I knew all that - I was there for both.
But we should have won both by a cricket score and failed to put dozens of chances away.
I remember turning to my mate and saying ‘well if this is anything to go by, we will never play well in June’.

Hmm like watching a different team today :confused:

Back
Top Bottom