Discussion about us on the Norwich board

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think most supporters of any club will wait until their transfer business is completed and have played some actual games before they speculate where they will finish.

I think what is interesting is the “wild card” effect.

Logic suggests we’ll be bottom 3 but Wilder has this knack of performing miracles consistently playing to players strength so that historically average players all of a sudden perform like high quality players. Can CW keep it up? It will be his 1st experience of top level football.
Logic suggest Norwich should perform the best out of the 3 clubs, but there’s enough factors to suggest that last year was the perfect storm where everything went their way, so they won’t be able to perform to the same level next season.

Villa are the main wild card due to a massive change in players
Logic suggests Villa should be quite comfortable and will end up the highest of the 3.
However there’s so many new players will they gel? Will they be like Fulham?

As already explained I hate the arrogance of PL fans and pundits.
So I’ll be hoping all 3 promoted clubs comfortably stay up and it’s achievable.
Wonder what the odds are on all 3 promoted clubs staying up?

Last edited:
Reasonable comments. Quite similar to the opinions held by many on here.

I don't like the cynical side of how they play, but it's standard practice in Germany and I'mprobably just still annoyed about that first game in 17/18 😂😂. But they are great to watch and in Buendia I think they have a star. They'll score loads of goals and I think that will keep them up.

Their scouting and acquisition of players on a budget over the last 18 months has been superb. The test will be when they have their players heads turned by big offers of wage hikes for moves. Can they replace the ones they lose?

I'd like to see this thread regurgitated for all to see at the end of the season. I'm not writing anyone off, and personally I've got an inkling all three clubs will stay up, especially as there are a few clubs in the Premier League who have been bobbling about in lower mid table and are one bad season from the drop.

They shipped goals left right and centre last season and that's not an easy fix .
They're my favorites to finish 20th.
This is a factor. We actually played quite a cautious style, especially in the last 15 games and we just need to take that style and some more firepower into the prem.

Norwich might have to have a significant re-think.

A lot of decent comments to be fair from them

Last edited:
“Having said that, the way they play could result in lots of pens and res cards next season,they tend to be strong and aggressive”

Most comments seem fair except that one, clearly hasn’t seen us play and has a stereotype view of us.

I actually think we’ll benefit more than lose with VAR. The number of incorrect crucial decisions that went against us last time contributed heavily to our relegation.

Didn't we only give away one penalty last season? Might have been two. Clearly we're a side that needs to worry about giving lots of pens away.

Agree and that was the feeling I got from their fans too, anybody would've thought they'd trashed the Championship the way they talk but it was fine lines that stopped us being champions.
It wasn't fine lines, it was 5 points. Fair play to Norwich, whenever I saw them play last season I thought they played fast, attractive, attacking football. I hope they finish below us next season for obvious reasons but I dont harbor grudges over one game when they wasted time to get a positive result. There are much bigger 'wanker clubs' out there than Norwich City. Let's all move on.

“Having said that, the way they play could result in lots of pens and res cards next season,they tend to be strong and aggressive”

Most comments seem fair except that one, clearly hasn’t seen us play and has a stereotype view of us.
No mostly we aren't strong and aggressive (unless it's on an internet forum), however, at times we are, the Leeds game at home last season we were very dirty and aggressive and it looked planned. I have no problem with that.

What doesn't seem to be considered is Norwich's poor defensive record. If they let in 55 in the Champ, the PL is going to have a field day without major style changes.

It wasn't fine lines, it was 5 points.
If our lads hadn't been eternally pissed the week before and Villa needed a win rather than a day off on the final day of the season, we'd have been champions. You may disagree but I am putting the argument as to how close the Championship was by the final day of the season.

I think it’s reasonably fair to expect the other 19 teams to see us as relegation favourites so no problem with that

What I don’t get is how they see their transfer set up and who they have brought in as somehow better options etc

other fans forums

Before Wilder year 1 - they will bottle it again
Before Wilder year 2 - they are going to get such a shock in this league
Before Wilder year 3 - previous year were lucky, no injuries, look how they finished the season
Wilder year 4 - premier league.

I need to get a life but was looking at how they feel their preparations were getting on and saw this

Thanks "Weirdo"

It baffles me to see how little Norwich fans regarded their conceding goals problem.

if you leak goals and rely on outscoring teams in the championship you have to be good and have firepower in all the right places.

You're not scoring 3 against city when you can't keep them out your net.

One or two maybe sensible posts other than that they have quite a high opinion of themselves and a poor little Sheffield United punching above their weight, condescending view of us. Fuck em hope they go down.

Too much blatant time wasting and throwing themselves to the floor for my liking. Coach is a cynical twat of the highest order.

So fuck em. Crash and burn and snaffle one of the relegation slots please.

Not sure of the full details of Norwich transfer business so far, I think they’ve signed a goalie and borrowed a Man Citeh youth, which like all such deals could go either way but the signing of Sam Byram for £750000 strikes me as a very sharp bit of business. No evidence though that they are looking to play more solid defensive football next season. I guess that for all three promoted teams, how they start off in the first 5 or 6 matches will have a big bearing on their seasons. On the face of it we’ve been dealt a reasonable hand in this respect, i don’t expect it but I’ll certainly fear the worse if we are sitting on zero points after 5 games.

Our biggest problem will be ourselves and our 13 year hitch.

Since our 1968 relegation we have been relegated every 13th season.

Obviously, on occasions we have suffered relegations and celebrated promotions in between. However the cast iron certainty over the last half century is that we get relegated every 13 years. And the 13th year relegation is always excruciating. It is always an improbable relegation snatched from virtually complete safety.

I know of no other club that has 'achieved' this to such an exemplary degree.

Hopefully, the 13 year hitch will finally disappear this season!

I've got fingers crossed and eyes squeezed shut till Hendo's back. if we've got Moore in the net we'll be down by Christmas …….

Fair comments in the main from what appear to be knowledgeable supporters.
Some of the usual shite as well though.

"They tend to be strong and aggressive." We'll be playing matches against Mos Eisley Space Port FC before we manage to lose this completely ill-informed tag that's been utter bollocks for about 15 years.

"They’ll also need to re-evaluate their playing style, having overlapping centre halfs against premier league quality is a dangerous way to play." Is it? How do you know? Not been done before has it? I do know conceding loads of goals is a dangerous way to play in the Prem you cretin. You worry about that.

"The quintessential decent Championship side." How can we be we were only in it two years?? We were told we weren't good enough for it. Look how that turned out.

"They generally end up having a great team spirit and cohesion but are a little bit 'limited' by Premier League standards. " 😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

"Someone like Maupay or McBurnie could change the outlook, but it doesn't seem like they want to look much further afield should those players prove out of their reach." I'm afraid this comment has made Stephen Bettis's position untenable. Leaking our transfer business to some bloke in a pub in Norwich. I can only assume this is what happened as this guy seems to know what our transfer strategy would be should we not get Maupay/McBurnie. Fuckwit.

In my opinion Cardiff would have quite easily stopped up but for the tragic loss of Sala and some dodgy decisions against them. They needed 10 more goals or so.

I expect a similar level of dodgy decisions against the Blades this season - VAR or not.

The old aggressive and will give away fouls line, is there anything to back that up, we gave away one penalty at home didn't we? Can't have been many away, I don't remember it being a thing.

Before the Millwall game on 13th April 2019, the last time we conceded a penalty - home or away - in the league? Well over a year ago - February 27th, 2018 away to Reading. 2-0 up at half-time (Duffy, Sharp), Reading pulled it back to 2-1 just after the break and, just after the hour, Reading were awarded a penalty. Bacuna stepped up and…Simon Moore saved it!

The last time a team scored a penalty against us in the league? 1st January 2018 when Derby's Vydra equalised Leon's opener in a 1-1 draw at Pride Park.

Strange lot are Norwich but yeah they conceded loads of goals last season playing the way they did, I don't think they will replicate the score more than them style in the Prem. Swings and roundabouts even the pigs tightened there defence last season it is easy enough but expect plenty of 0-0 results which will not be enough. I'd say you need to win 10 games to have a shot at staying up. I don't quite understand the reasoning that our 3-5-2 will not work in the prem it served us better defensively than the Norwich formation last season, I think our style and formation is more flexible than theirs. A few of the usual ill informed comments too, aggressive, team spirit, limited blah blah we've heard it all before they have nearly convinced me we will be down by Christmas.

I need to get a life but was looking at how they feel their preparations were getting on and saw this

What a quality discussion. Respect to them and their club.

Just the prat right at the end played the poster.

Thanks Roy.

Top work as ever Roy, it’s does frustrate me that pundits and fans of the teams we were promoted with seem to glaze over the fact we had the best defensive record in the championship last season. This, I believe, is far more important than how many goals you scored, due to the obvious fact some fans clearly want to avoid. It’s all good and well when you dominate games of football up against leaky league one bound defenders. In reality your going to have to able to absorb pressure first, something neither villa or Norwich did well in the championship. Good luck to em both, I sure they’ll be needing it just as much as 6 or 7 other premier league teams.

UTB.

How true, when people look at team sheets they do not imagine just how difficult it had been to play against us. They seem to think their team had an 'off day'.

Long may they think that. We are a team in the strongest sense and let's hope the new signings do not disrupt that ethos. With Wilder and Knill I reckon we'll improve the 20% we probably need to this season (with just a small number of more good signings to come hopefully).

It’s funny there championship players they have are seemingly world beaters and show they can tackle the premiership.

Other championship players like Freeman are from the championship and won’t be good enough.

It’s just too backwards.

Back
Top Bottom