Deane and Fjortoft

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's like the haunted house in Amityville Horror, everything starts off really pleasantly; the house is a fair price, the garden is well kept, the views are lovely, but whichever family lives there, someone eventually starts seeing flies in the attic, smoke in the basement, has windows slamming shut and ends up slaughtering his family.

Whoever are the incumbents of the Sheffield United boardroom enter as a relatively competent, clear thinking business men and eventually end up making the same mistakes as previous role holders, as if succumbing to some unseen malevolent force. It happened before MM, and has happen since and will happen again, and again, and again. You start the season with Deane/Fjortoft, you end it with Taylor/Marcello, you start the season with good Beattie you end it with bad Beattie, you start the season with Evans you end the season with Will 'if i was a horse, they'd have shot me' Hoskins. Until BDTBL is demolished, the ground drug up and whatever evil thing that lurks in the hallowed turf is released or at least captured, bottled up and taken to S6, we are fated to make the same mistakes.

For every SUFC foul up or mistep in my life I can remember exactly where I was, who I was with and how I was feeling (except our relegation in 2011, which I no recollection of). Admittedly, for the majority of them I was physically there to witness it. But like others on here, I clearly remember clearly where I was when we sold Deane/Fjortoft.

People talk about our football under Wilder, but for those not old enough to remember or those old enough to have forgotten, the way we dismantled Sunderland in the 1st game of the 97/98 season was a thing of beauty. They'd just been relegated from the prem and had kept basically their starting 11 and we'd undergone the heartbreak of losing to palace in the play-offs. The sun was shining, it was Vas Borbokis' debut and his impact can only be described as magical, it was if some otherworldly thing had appeared at S2. But in typical 'why are the f'ing fates always conspiring against this club' kind of way, we ended up paying them over two legs in the play-offs. We're falling out of form, they're firing on all cylinders and there's only on outcome and in typical Blades way, the following season we sold Saunders, the then leading goalscorer to Benfica without even telling the manager.

*Edit: Another thing that I seem to remember is Taylor scoring a worldy volley against Forest that season at home.

January 16th 1998, twenty years ago today, we sold them both on the same day. What an awful bit of business that was. Spackman had got a great squad playing quality football that had a good chance of getting promotion. As it was our promotion bid faded and we didn't reach the promised land of the Premier League until 2006. I would argue it is only now that we have assembled a squad of players that play as good football as the Spackman squad.
I am relieved to wake up this morning and find that we didn't sell Brooksy and Billy to mark the anniversary in proper Blades fashion...

Didn't say it was a good decision, but thats the comments I remember from McDonald. We had Taylor on loan, banging them in. Sold Deane and Fjortoft and Taylor when signed fully and the main man went off the boil

I think a problem was that Taylor had benefited playing alongside either of the two – I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his production suffered afterwards, defences focused on him more and he didn’t have ability on the same level as them.

By coincidence, I was in Lisbon the following week. I went to the Benfixa ground and told someone in the club shop that I supported Sheffield United. Because of the Brian Deane link he offered me a free tour of the ground the following day. Sadly I was going home that day so it never happened!

By coincidence, I was in Lisbon the following week. I went to the Benfixa ground and told someone in the club shop that I supported Sheffield United. Because of the Brian Deane link he offered me a free tour of the ground the following day. Sadly I was going home that day so it never happened!

By coincidence,I was coming out of Wickes at the bottom of the Moor,put Radio Sheffield on,to hear the fateful news,as I drove past the Lane,I shook an angry fist at Green and McDonald

At you suggesting an imminent repeat of this with brooks and fleck...

We have money to burn on midfielders and wingers...where has it suddenly come from eh... #gamechanger?

Nowt new. Jonesy and Birchenally £100,000 apiece.

By coincidence,I was coming out of Wickes at the bottom of the Moor,put Radio Sheffield on,to hear the fateful news,as I drove past the Lane,I shook an angry fist at Green and McDonald

From what I've heard about Green I'm suprised you didn't get a fist back!

Are you sure I remember them being anouced as sold just after we’d played a game on the Saturday. I realised it was about 20 years ago in January but not the specific date.

It was a Thursday mate. I remember all the scousers and mancs taking the piss at Lancaster Uni football training as I proudly still wore my Blades shirt. Bastards.

Thats how I remember it and mentioned that earlier. Basically " you all wanted Taylor, now you have him"
I guess it's the equivalent of us all demanding James Hanson stay only for Leon Clarke and Clayton Donaldson being sold.

All this followed by the weeks of "we've bid £3m for Hamilton Ricard" bollocks.

Strange how we bid 3 and Boro got him for £2m. Current board get some stick but they are nothing like the shit we used to have.

Don't sell Brooks ffs. He's got the potential to be amazing. Let's see it for us for a bit. I don't care about the money, we could never afford what he could be and I want to see something I'll remember in 30 years!

Didn't Mike McDonald help engineer Richards move to Boro?

Naturally he will want to play at the highest level possible so it is an issue of 'when' rather than 'if we sell'. If he has grounded parents and a sensible agent, then we might keep him one more season. Realistically no budding star 21 year old will willingly play in the second tier, when it seems clubs like Spurs and Liverpool are in for him.

This is not particulalry a defence of McCabe, more a pessemistic/realistic view of the world today. How much longer do you think Fulham will keep Sessegnon?

I'm not unrealistic enough to think that Brooks will stay with us if we don't get promoted. If he still shows promise and other clubs are interested, then he'll go and you can put money on it.

My ire is that I expect we'll not play the long game with him and hold out for a good deal commensurate with his worth - and that should be based on his worth to SUFC not what the buying club thinks he is worth.

Like I say - if he shows promise and fulfils his potential to be at PL level. Players such as Jags, Harry M, Kyle N and DCL have done exactly that. Others like Adams, Murphy and McDonald will never be at that level.

pommpey

First time. We knew an era was over and we were in for a prolonged down slide.

Deano was as close to a one man team as I’ve ever seen. My biggest criticism of him was that he couldn’t get on the end of his own crosses.

I always said that, one of the best crosses of a ball we had, with both his right and left foot.

As you say, always a shame he couldn't get on the end of one of his own crosses.

Didn’t we replace half the first team squad with absolute shit in that season plus an ageing Wilder? Limping into the Playoffs despite being top until Xmas.

Mitch Ward > Bobby Ford
Carl Tiler > Chris Wilder
Paul McGrath > David Lee
Don Hutchinson > John Cullen

I might be wrong!

Ward went in the November '97, Hutchinson in the March '98 & Tiler went September '98. Kendall was hoovering up ex-players at Everton.

Ward went in the November '97, Hutchinson in the March '98 & Tiler went September '98. Kendall was hoovering up ex-players at Everton.

Mind you, we always did well with players coming the other way from Everton to SUFC didn't we.

Like Ebbrell, for example ...

pommpey

Sadly things have changed for the worse in 20 years. Back then not all players had agents and it was clubs that sold players. Now player power is much more evident and if Arsenal can't keep Sanchez or Liverpool Coutinho, we have little chance with Brooks.

Naturally he will want to play at the highest level possible so it is an issue of 'when' rather than 'if we sell'. If he has grounded parents and a sensible agent, then we might keep him one more season. Realistically no budding star 21 year old will willingly play in the second tier, when it seems clubs like Spurs and Liverpool are in for him.

This is not particulalry a defence of McCabe, more a pessemistic/realistic view of the world today. How much longer do you think Fulham will keep Sessegnon?

'Twas ever thus.
If Brooks is sensible and confident in his own ability (and not scared of getting a bad injury) he may stay until a PL club wants him as a regular first team player (assuming we don't go up).

He'll be on reasonable money now and if he kicks on again he's likely to get another improved contract. I think a lot depends on how quickly he progresses.

Remember the day well , I was at a meeting at the Sheffield Hilton.

As I walked out Danny Wilson (then Barnsley manager) walked past me and I thought , ' Oh , there's Danny Wilson'.

Then two mins later I saw Fjortoft getting out of his car and I thought ' Oh there's Jan Aaage ' and then I thought 'Oh shit'.

Being such a Bladey Blade I left a note on Jan's windscreen saying something along the lines of ' Please don't sign for those twats', which clearly helped enormously.

I shit you not,a good friend of mine bought a grandsworth of shares the weekend before this happened.

And he's still a season ticket holder.

Back
Top Bottom